ODROID-W, a RPI compatible module?

54 posts   Page 1 of 3   1, 2, 3
by hansotten » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:24 am
Found this on Google+

Amazed to see a Raspberry Pi compatible product, with the BCM2835. Nice form factor.

ODROID-W, “a miniature computing module which is fully compatible with all software available for the Raspberry-Pi" for $30.

http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products ... 0610189490

Specs:
Processor Broadcom BCM2835 ARM11 700Mhz
memory Samsung 4Gbit (512MB) LPDDR2 SDRAM
PMIC Ricoh RC5T619 includes DCDCs, LDOs, ADCs, RTC, Battery charger and Fuel gauge
DCDC TI TPS61259 is 5Volt step-up DCDC for USB host and HDMI block
Video Output DMI type-D (Micro-HDMI)
USB High-speed USB 2.0 host
GPIO connectors RPi compatible 13x2-pin header on the top side as well as bottom side for 2-way stacking
20+6 pin header for additional GPIO/ADC/Power/USB connection
Total 32 GPIOs and 2 ADCs are available.
Camera connector 15pin MIPI-CSI2 (Pi Camera module compatible)
Memory card slot Micro-SD (T-Flash)
Power Micro-USB socket for 5Volt input
Li-Polymer battery connector (Molex 53398-0271)
RTC power Backup battery connector (Molex 53398-0271)
Dimensions 60 x 36 mm
Weight 8 gram

It has some intersting features, like RTC, small form factor, battery support, ADC.

With an addon board W Docking Board with TFT LCD Docking board for ODROID-W $30 you can add:
- 4 x USB host ports
- 10/100 Ethernet port
- 2.2inch 320x240 QVGA color TFT LCD assembled
- Audio stereo jack (3.5mm)
- UART port for serial console
- Board size : 60 x 60 x 21mm including LCD module

What do you think of it?
Hans, http::/retro.hansotten.com
by joan » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:40 am
Interesting.

I wonder if the bare board is a better fit against the compute module rather than the Raspberry Pi.

I have no idea of the proposed compute module pricing.
by gkreidl » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:49 am
Something for the foundation's lawyers:

we decided to make our own (tiny) version of a Raspberry Pi

What I don't like about this project is that they simply use all the work (software development) of the foundation and the RPi community to sell their product. They call it "compatibility" but in fact it means: let other people do all the work and we make money from it.

The form factor and I/O my be interesting for some projects, though.

Price in Germany for the base board is equal to the RPi B+ from my favourite reseller (about 35 € incl. VAT + shipping).
Minimal Kiosk Browser
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer
by linux18 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:09 am
It is suitable for many different portable devices prototyping.

But, both ODROID-W and RPI are the closed hardware. :oops:
I hope everybody can make clones or derivatives like Arduino. :mrgreen:

BTW, the base board for RPi official compute module is much more expensive. :evil:
by RaTTuS » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:22 am
linux18 wrote:...
BTW, the base board for RPi official compute module is much more expensive. :evil:

no not really
$9 shipping then inport tax
or from the german site 39Euro which is approx $52

but looks good
and if people keep building clones maybe a RAM producer will start making 8Gb pop modules then we could have 1GB RPi's
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html <- ask smart Questions
"That's not right, the badgers have moved the goalposts."
1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX - Prosliver FTW
by fruitoftheloom » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:34 am
Uses a TF Card for running the OS, could be an issue in embedded devices, the CM is better with the eMMC, IMO

It looks like a halfway house between an A and CM

Though good to see competition....
Raspberry Pi the numero uno board
Raspbian Wheezy Operating Sytem for the best all round experience when starting out
by fruitoftheloom » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:37 am
linux18 wrote:BTW, the base board for RPi official compute module is much more expensive. :evil:

Another mis-interpretation, the CM base board is for development purposes and priced accordingly :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Raspbian Wheezy Operating Sytem for the best all round experience when starting out
by fruitoftheloom » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:39 am
RaTTuS wrote:and if people keep building clones maybe a RAM producer will start making 8Gb pop modules then we could have 1GB RPi's

Lets hope so, it has been feasible for a long time, we could have a B++ ?? :)
by jamesh » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:51 am
gkreidl wrote:Something for the foundation's lawyers:

What I don't like about this project is that they simply use all the work (software development) of the foundation and the RPi community to sell their product. They call it "compatibility" but in fact it means: let other people do all the work and we make money from it.

Indeed. The Foundation spends money (lots of) on software and engineering to make sure its working and as good as possible,. These types of clones simply use that work without any sort of payback. It the sort of thing that puts people like the Foundation out of business.

As for the lawyers, not sure they have done anything that contravenes copyright or trademarks.
Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at Picademy September, October, November 2014.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by hansotten » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:52 am
fruitoftheloom wrote:Uses a TF Card for running the OS, could be an issue in embedded devices, the CM is better with the eMMC, IMO

I see an eMMC slot on the bottom.
Hans, http::/retro.hansotten.com
by jamesh » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:53 am
fruitoftheloom wrote:
RaTTuS wrote:and if people keep building clones maybe a RAM producer will start making 8Gb pop modules then we could have 1GB RPi's

Lets hope so, it has been feasible for a long time, we could have a B++ ?? :)

Not with the 2835 I don't think.

Although why anyone needs more than 640K is beyond me.
Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at Picademy September, October, November 2014.
by Ravenous » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:59 am
jamesh wrote:Not with the 2835 I don't think.

Although why anyone needs more than 640K is beyond me.

We know you're joking but there is a serious point...

Those who are unhappy with half a GB in the raspberry pi and dump it for something offering a whole GB, are doomed.

In less than a year the 1GB device will be old hat and they'll be spending more money on something else that's supposed to be better.

Start now, with a simple machine (with support), learn to program it efficiently, and be happy for much longer.
by linux18 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:02 am
Do you know why there has been no RPI compatible board over 2 years?
Is it a legal issue?
Nobody likes competition?
GPL violation?
Or anything else?
by RaTTuS » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:11 am
linux18 wrote:Do you know why there has been no RPI compatible board over 2 years?
Is it a legal issue?
GPL violation?
Or anything else?

it takes a long time to make a product
from design to market place
and if you are asking broadcom for 1mil chips then lead time is still going to be 6 months or so ,
then you have to setup a factory and run...
from going from a existing design to PCB to working device [let alone making it compatible] I say your looking at 18months and a lot of cash ...
by drgeoff » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:18 am
jamesh wrote:
gkreidl wrote:Something for the foundation's lawyers:

Indeed. The Foundation spends money (lots of) on software and engineering to make sure its working and as good as possible,. These types of clones simply use that work without any sort of payback. It the sort of thing that puts people like the Foundation out of business.

As for the lawyers, not sure they have done anything that contravenes copyright or trademarks.

For Eben Upton's view (in 2012) on open sourcing the RPi hardware watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXLShQH__6M
Last edited by drgeoff on Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
by linux18 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:19 am
RaTTuS wrote:
linux18 wrote:Do you know why there has been no RPI compatible board over 2 years?
Is it a legal issue?
GPL violation?
Or anything else?

it takes a long time to make a product
from design to market place
and if you are asking broadcom for 1mil chips then lead time is still going to be 6 months or so ,
then you have to setup a factory and run...
from going from a existing design to PCB to working device [let alone making it compatible] I say your looking at 18months and a lot of cash ...

Thank you for the clarification. Technology and Cash! :o
by redhawk » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:39 am
The ODROID-U3 is 8~12 times faster than the Raspberry Pi, but the power consumption of the U3 is not suitable for wearable devices like watches or necklaces.
8-12 times faster??

Considering this device has the same SoC clocked at 700MHz I fail to see how it can be considerably faster than the Raspberry Pi or CM.

Do I smell dog manure here??

I suppose it's good they didn't try to copy the board and name like the Banana but still guilty of fleecing off the RPF developed software like Raspbian.

Richard S.
by RaTTuS » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:44 am
redhawk wrote:
The ODROID-U3 is 8~12 times faster than the Raspberry Pi, but the power consumption of the U3 is not suitable for wearable devices like watches or necklaces.
8-12 times faster??

Considering this device has the same SoC clocked at 700MHz I fail to see how it can be considerably faster than the Raspberry Pi or CM.

Do I smell dog manure here??

I suppose it's good they didn't try to copy the board and name like the Banana but still guilty of fleecing off the RPF developed software like Raspbian.

Richard S.

that is not the RPi comparable one but the
Code: Select all
ODROID-U3

This is the standard ODROID-U3. The ODROID Magazine will give you the full guide for it. http://magazine.odroid.com/

All ODROID-U2 software is fully compatible with ODROID-U3.

KEY FEATURES
* 1.7GHz Quad-Core processor and 2GByte RAM

so 1.7 X4
by joan » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:48 am
redhawk wrote:

I thought Raspbian was a private project, nothing to do with the RPF. The RPF just, err, fleece off the software.
by PiGraham » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:52 am
redhawk wrote:I suppose it's good they didn't try to copy the board and name like the Banana but still guilty of fleecing off the RPF developed software like Raspbian.

Richard S.

RPF is doing good work, but they hardly "developed software like Raspbian". They took open source projects, packaged and extended them.
Raspbian is an unofficial port of Debian wheezy armhf with compilation settings adjusted to produce code that uses "hardware floating point", the "hard float" ABI and will run on the Raspberry Pi.
http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianFAQ

Raspbian is open source.
by gkreidl » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:03 am
PiGraham wrote:Raspbian is open source.

Of course it is but do you really believe the people who created and maintain this special Debian release would have done the same just to fill the shareholder's pockets of some Korean company? There would be no Raspbian without the foundation and the RPi.
And then there's the firmware, the work that has gone into the new USB drivers and so on ...
Minimal Kiosk Browser
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer
by PiGraham » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:35 am
gkreidl wrote:
PiGraham wrote:Raspbian is open source.

Of course it is but do you really believe the people who created and maintain this special Debian release would have done the same just to fill the shareholder's pockets of some Korean company? There would be no Raspbian without the foundation and the RPi.
And then there's the firmware, the work that has gone into the new USB drivers and so on ...

All I did was point out the error in assuming that RasPi is a creation of just the RPF. It is a collaborative effort of many people and companies that support the educational goals.

The people who did that work did it to further the goal of encouraging a generation of programmers.
RPF doesn't exist to put money in shareholder's pockets and it is absurd to suggest that any work on the project is an any way "just to fill the shareholder's pockets of...". Lots of people are making money from RPi. Some are contributing a bit to RPF, and good on them for that, but the bigger contribution is to the ecosystem, the culture and the community.
The Arduino model seems a good one to me. Diversity and compatibility can be a good thing, as long as you aren't in it just to put money in shareholder's pockets.
by fruitoftheloom » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:39 am
hansotten wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:Uses a TF Card for running the OS, could be an issue in embedded devices, the CM is better with the eMMC, IMO

I see an eMMC slot on the bottom.

If you had read all the blurb, it is stated at this present time the eMMC is for Testing Purposes Only, considering the BCM2835 can only seek the boot files from one address location ie the TF Card, therefore it is likely to be used for an additional storage device at this present time...
by Paul Webster » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:39 am
If you look at the material towards the bottom of the page linked to in the first post, it looks like they are showing that they were making something like the RPi CM before CM was announced (their 0.1 board show 2014/04/02).
My guess is that they were as surprised as we were when the CM was announced - and were probably surprised again when B+ was announced with immediate shipping.
by fruitoftheloom » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:43 am
AFAIAA In the UK a Registed Charity can be split into two parts, one is non profit and the other trading, the caveat is any profits from the Trading Arm must be given to the non profit arm so it can achieve the aims that are set out when the Charity is Registered..