Synergy (help?)

5 posts
by Joe Schmoe » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:27 pm
This is OT, of course, but since I learned about the existence of Synergy here, this seems to be a good place to ask.

So, I downloaded the latest version (called 1.4.8 Beta) for both Mac and Windows and installed the Server on my Mac laptop and the Client on the Windows laptop. Got through the basic setup (did do anything fancy - haven't done any extensive reading on what all the config file options are and what they do - just taking the "Quick Start" approach). Short summary: It works. But...

It is not exactly "smooth". My real question, then, is: Should it be? How polished is this thing supposed to be? Specifically, my complains are:

1) When I slide the mouse off the edge of the Mac screen onto the Windows screen, two things are observed:
....a) It is slow/jerky (no doubt because of network delays). Yes, the two machines are on a local LAN, with a reasonably fast (100megabit) connection. Caveat: The Mac is Wifi; the Windows machine is wired.
....b) On the Windows screen, the mouse flies all over the place. It is like when you have the mouse sensitivity set too high on a Windows machine - where a tiny movement of the mouse causes the pointer to move all over the place. With some discipline, you can control it, but it is a pain.

2) It is easy to "lose" the mouse - it is not visible on either screen, and I have no idea what happened to it. I just mess around until it comes back into view. Also, quite often when the Windows machine is the "active" machine, there is still a visible mouse cursor on the Mac screen, that does track the mouse. So, there is a disconnect between which screen is "active" (able to receive mouse and keyboard events) vs. the appearance of the Mac screen (which is that there is a visible mouse cursor that does, indeed, track to the movements of the mouse - even though it doesn't "do" anything useful). At one point, the only way I could get back control - that is, have the mouse and keyboard connected back to the Mac was to exit the Synergy server program.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix these issues?
Never answer the question you are asked. Rather, answer the question you wish you had been asked.

- Robert S. McNamara - quoted in "Fog of War" -
by daftpeanut » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:27 pm
I'm sorry for the long wait for a reply. i have never used synergy through wireless before, though i would imagine that since it works with larger packet sizes to compensate for the latency, that it would be a little glitchy and slow to refresh the position. i would suggest that you first run a ping test between your computers to see the latency between them. on a typical home wired LAN, you will rarely get above 3ms unless the pinged computer is under a lot network and/or processing stress.
by Joe Schmoe » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:56 pm
Thanks for the response. I'll try that.

It does sound, however, like the wireless is the culprit here. Am I right in assuming that it should work better (and does, if you use it wired) ?
Never answer the question you are asked. Rather, answer the question you wish you had been asked.

- Robert S. McNamara - quoted in "Fog of War" -
by RaTTuS » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:25 pm
try running the server on the windows machine
1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX - Prosliver FTW
"That's not right, the badgers have moved the goalposts."
by daftpeanut » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:13 pm
im actually running synergy right now between my pc and my rpi, outside of a slowdown every now and then, it runs as though its native