Debian on VirtualBox

4 posts
by geriatric » Mon May 07, 2012 5:27 pm
So now I have a nice almost-clean SD with (I hope) an imprinted picture of a Debian squeeze boot ready to kick RasPi into life whenever I eventually get it delivered through the post.  This I've done by some miracle of following tutorials on RasPi.

Not having much faith in actually living that long, the wait is killing me, I want to load up my recently-installed VirtualBox under Windows 7, on my desktop PC, with the flavour of Debian I will also use, later, on RasPi.  To say I'm utterly confused and totally lost by Debian's huge instructions of how to do what if you really already know what it is you want is a massive understatement.

Being an ancient and decrepit person brought up on Basic and Delphi and so far speaking only Windows, I need to get some ducks in a row.  Can anybody please point me to the exact URL for the image file I need to download and then load onto the VirtualBox so I can soothe my declining years by playing with the same virtual Debian version I'll use eventually on Raspberry Pi, while I wait the long hours for the Postie to bring me the real goods.

Now, please excuse me while I go and sob into my beer.
by Joe Schmoe » Mon May 07, 2012 6:09 pm
It's not clear whether you would be better served by:

1) Installing a Pi-like system (but one running on x86) onto your x86 (Windows) PC.

or

2) Running the actual Pi system (running on a simulated ARM CPU) on your x86 (Windows) PC via QEMU.

I think the later is both better (in terms of usefulness, qua Pi-experience) and easier to setup, so I would recommend you go that route.  The only downside is that it is kinda slow (compared to running a native Linux on native x86 hardware).  But that is a good thing; it will get you in the mood for the Pi.

Search the forum for the threads that explain how to do this.

P.S.  Note to all those who say that telling people to "search the forum" is rude: you are just flat out wrong.  I need say no more on this point.
Like so much of Linux these days, the attempts to make it suitable for
dumb idiots are making it much harder for someone who wants to do
something the designers never anticipated.
by nick.mccloud » Mon May 07, 2012 6:46 pm
geriatric said:

Can anybody please point me to the exact URL for the image file I need to download and then load onto the VirtualBox so I can soothe my declining years by playing with the same virtual Debian version I'll use eventually on Raspberry Pi, while I wait the long hours for the Postie to bring me the real goods.

Here's one I prepared earlier:

VirtualBox simulator and emulator – now with added Cow

although as Joe says, a search on VirtualBox should of bought it up for you!
by geriatric » Tue May 08, 2012 8:16 pm
nmcc said:

geriatric said:

Can anybody please point me to the exact URL for the image file I need to download and then load onto the VirtualBox so I can soothe my declining years by playing with the same virtual Debian version I'll use eventually on Raspberry Pi, while I wait the long hours for the Postie to bring me the real goods.

Here's one I prepared earlier:

VirtualBox simulator and emulator – now with added Cow

although as Joe says, a search on VirtualBox should of bought it up for you!

I am much obliged to both of you.  I will probably try both of Joe's suggestions in an effort to learn the mysterious cryptic ways of linux.  In case this may be of use to anyone else, I download the image file Debian recommended, using torrent, and got an .img file, which it seems I can use on Raspberry Pi proper.  Virtual box didn't like it, evidently wanting an .iso file, which FreeDownload obliged with, despite the Debian server several times cutting itself off in the process.  I have an Acer Iconia_tab_W500 on which I want to run Debia by using a USB stick to boot it, to carry around with me to learn more, but of course, the usual way to get into Acer's BIOS setup on firing up doesn't seem to want to work.  In the good old days of fig Forth, things were simpler, ISTR.