List of Foods that Just Aren't Nice

75 posts   Page 1 of 3   1, 2, 3
by liz » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:40 pm
SiR's recent contribution to the Food thread made me think that this really deserves its own thread. My own "will never eat again"s include:

Natto. Just say no.
Deep fried oysters. I love oysters. But not when they're fried.
Abalone. I can't be doing with the boingyness.
Raspberry Pi Foundation
Raspberry Pi Foundation
by Chromatix » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:55 pm
Mämmi.  I don't even know what it's made of, but top tip: AVOID.

Black pudding (known over here by the much more descriptive name mustamakkara, ie. black sausage).

Anything which lists high-fructose corn syrup in the ingredients.
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.
by SN » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:19 am
Offal stuff... Liver and Kidney (technicolour yawns and all that)
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?
by scep » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:31 am

• Black pudding - beautiful, what's not to like about cooked blood and back fat?

• Offal - the food of the gods. All of it. Even the etymology makes you want to munch it all day.

• Mammi - I had that in Sweden on a bit of bread, weird but good. (but I like rye and malt and stout...)

• Deep fried oysters I've never tried but would imagine that panko-coated with a little Tabasco they could be good?

• I'll see your an abalone and raise you a geoduck:P

The only food  that I've not been able to finish is pickled catfish (especially when, after eating it out of an indecipherable Thai jar, you find online that it needs to be "cooked thoroughly" :) . Think of Dan Ackroyd chewing the salmon through his beard in 'Trading Places'. Now rub sand and salt and natto in his beard. Not good).

Then again, I have a jar of pure MSG in my pantry. That cures lots of ills :)
by piglet » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:52 am
Plums, E102 (and other such nasties) and MSG. Food intolerance causing ADHD ftl.  They made 10 of my first 11 years of life an utter hell.
by jamesh » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:54 am
Spend any time in Korea and you will encounter this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimchi
Raspberry Pi Engineer
Raspberry Pi Engineer
by scep » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:25 am
JamesH said:

Kimchi is oustanding! And very healthy too :)

I make my own, but have been banned from bringing it into work for lunch as the others in the teamroom claim that it smells very bad (I admit it does get fruitier over the weeks as it continues to ferment :D )
by jamesh » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:27 am
scep said:

JamesH said:

Kimchi is oustanding! And very healthy too :)

I make my own, but have been banned from bringing it into work for lunch as the others in the teamroom claim that it smells very bad (I admit it does get fruitier over the weeks as it continues to ferment :D )

Perhaps the Kimchi in the Samsung canteen isn't the best quality......
Raspberry Pi Engineer
Raspberry Pi Engineer
by Jongoleur » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:09 am
The top of my "You want me to eat THAT?" list must be:

Most forms of life that come out of the sea that don't swim about and LOOK like a fish!

Visually, all shellfish make me want to reach for the sickbag, it goes downhill from there. I once built a boat in a shed next door to a cockle boilers, that didn't help. I'm not fond of crab and lobster either, though I used to be ok with shrimp and prawns until a teacher told us of going for a walk along the beach and finding a body washed up.  Her description of shrimp crawling over the head put me off them from that moment on.  And as for squid and octopus.....

Mind you, I love black pudding!  :-)
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...
by markb » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:24 am
Jongoleur said:

The top of my "You want me to eat THAT?" list must be:

Most forms of life that come out of the sea that don't swim about and LOOK like a fish!

I understand your point & it's interesting to note that most people who will eat the likes of shrimp and cockles will turn their nose up at their land-based cousins – insects and slugs.

for me the one big no-no is custard. even the thought of it will make me retch. It make be something to do with being forces to eat a bowl of it (several times over if you get my drift) as a kid.
by scep » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:36 am
markb said:

I understand your point & it's interesting to note that most people who will eat the likes of shrimp and cockles will turn their nose up at their land-based cousins – insects and slugs.

I once had grasshoppers as a bar snack in Mexico. They tasted just like ... dried grass (with chilli and lime on). Rather disappointing.

Slugs I've not tried but IIRC my survival book says that you should never boil them else you will end up with a grim, goo stew - jab them with a stick and toast them like marshmallows instead. Slug s'mores?

It is, however, nearly Maybug time! I'm going to give them a go this year, meant to be good eating. Nice and fat. I will report back.
by chorlton » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:38 pm
I ate Andouillette in Paris once. It was an almost job interview (internal but there were other candidates) so I wanted to impress.

I swear one of the little white cartilege-y bit pinged off my plate like a spring. It ended up being a case of swallowing each mouthful whole rather than risk chewing anything.

From the Wikipedia article: The French parliamentarian Edouard Herriot once said; "Politics is like an andouillette – it should smell a little like shit, but not too much." boak!
by liz » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:15 pm
Ugh - haven't been able to look at an andouilette for the last 15 years or so. I'd quite liked them up until then, but then I had one at a restaurant in Les Halles which, frankly, tasted of bums. Never again.

Mustamakkara (the Finnish version of black pudding as mentioned above) is BRILLIANT, you heathens. There's a pub in Tampere called Plevna, which is a bit like Valhalla for engineers. And their mustamakkara, with a blob of cloudberry jam (yes, really), is one of my favourite things to eat in Finland.

I forgot to mention Hakarl above. (Icelandic fermented shark). My brother brought a jar back from a trip, and it's one of the only things I've been unable to get close enough to my face to eat. The smell on its own, like the wee of a very, very dehydrated and infection-ridden fisherman, is enough to make a grown woman weep.
Raspberry Pi Foundation
Raspberry Pi Foundation
by piglet » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:17 pm
Hmmm - has anyone here smelled/eaten a durian?

by liz » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:22 pm
Yes! Love the stuff. (But my Dad's Malaysian-Chinese, and I spent a lot of my childhood in Malaysia, so I guess that's not so unusual. It's probably the sort of thing you're best off first encountering when you're a little kid…)
Raspberry Pi Foundation
Raspberry Pi Foundation
by scep » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:58 pm
I too love durian, a heady mix of creamy custard and sweaty underpants with a lump of over-ripe stilton tucked in the gusset. Anthony Bourdain said that it makes your breath smell like you've been French kissing your dead granny. Which is nice :)

My son made a life size, papier-mache durian for a school project last week:

papier mache durian

Everyone else made apples and bananas :D
by andri » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:49 pm
piglet said:

Hmmm - has anyone here smelled/eaten a durian?

Love it very much! :D
by andri » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:04 pm
Escargot.

Not hate the food, but the animal.

When i was a kid, its everywhere in our house.

In the wall, side street, etc.

If you walk in the dark, you will step on them. :(
by liz » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:42 pm
scep said:

My son made a life size, papier-mache durian for a school project last week:

papier mache durian

Everyone else made apples and bananas :D

Scep, this is MAGNIFICENT. I am speechless with awe.
Raspberry Pi Foundation
Raspberry Pi Foundation
by Jongoleur » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:34 pm
And then there's Lutefisk...

A piece of cod, which passeth all understanding, being steeped in caustic soda for several days...   One just steps back in amazement!
by E » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:53 pm
See, this thread is having a sort of reverse psychology action on me, making me want to try all these things...

...and there's no way black pudding or offal should on this list!

I can't stand cream of chicken soup, but that's more an association thing from when I was a kid and had insane oral thrush.
by bobc » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:40 pm
Wow, I need to go to specsavers.

I was sure this thread title read "List of Foods that Just Aren't Mice". I mean, who eats mice??
by Jongoleur » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:52 pm
bobc said:

Wow, I need to go to specsavers.

I was sure this thread title read "List of Foods that Just Aren"t Mice". I mean, who eats mice??

The Romans did – edible dormice were evidently very tasty.  Mind you, the Romans also consumed a pickled fish paste called Garum which allegedly took some getting used to, so I suppose they'd eat anything not nailed down.  I believe a pot of garum was found preserved in a peat bog near Hadrians Wall, I don't know if anyone taste-tested it…..

Edit:  Link to wikipedia
by john_wage » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:34 pm
I hate cotton candy, it makes your hands and face sticky, reminds me of some kind of toxic glass fiber insulation material, and it really only tastes like synthetic diabetes.
by psergiu » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:31 am
I hate Durian but my wife loves-it.

I try to taste all the local foods when i'm abroad. In China, i have eaten Century Eggs and all kinds of weird and tasty stuff that our translator failed to tell us what it is.

But,

to anyone wanting to try Surströmming:

1) Don't !
2) If you really-really want to, choose a site far away from civilization. That place will be uninhabitable for months after you run away and leave the opened can in there;
3) The friggin cans are under pressure, be prepared to burn your clothes afterwards if you get sprayed while opening it. Have a change of clothes ready;
4) Get the fillet surströmming, not the whole fish who has needle-sharp bones;
5) If anyone wants to tape of take pictures of your foolishness, they'd better use zoom lenses and stay far away;
6) Have water & other liquids nearby. Or else in the seconds after spitting out the half-chewed fish, you will happyly use rainwater from a puddle or anything este to cleanse your mouth.