Raspberry PI in Australia

3 posts
by WhoAteAllThePIs » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:11 am
Hi
I noticed some articles starting to appear in the Australian Press regarding RPI , which is very encouraging. Expats like me trust and love the BBC, where I picked this story up from and have been following it for some months.
I was shocked to learn that Programming was no longer taught in schools ! As someone at school in the early eighties, my parents would pick the school's Commodore PET up on Friday's so I could use it over the weekend. That's before I got my Spectrum. But at least these machines were hands on, I still rememeber typing in an Assembler from a book !
Twenty five years later and I'm working in IT, with Coding and Design seen as some sort of exercise before months of Testing to get the code right. That really get's to me, it's so inefficient. Everything is way to complicated and so many "monsters" are being created, even for simple tasks.

Are there any plans to import to Australia as I would like to become involved ? (not for a financial gain). I am keen to get RPI back in Education and am looking forward to getting one myslef - I feel inspired !

Have you contacted the British Computer Society ? (bcs.org) - I am a Chartered Member.
Please let me know your thoughts. I will be back in the UK in Sep/Oct visting family about an hour from Cambridge, it would be great to meet up !

David

p.s. It could make for some great Science Fiction - how about approaching the writers of Doctor Who and make the RPI a Storyline ( a computer for good, like Zen and Orac in Blake's7) . That would get you plenty of exposure !
by toxibunny » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:57 am
I doubt they'd write a whole doctor who story about it, but there's another season of The IT Crowd coming soon... :)
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...
by liz » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:23 pm
Hi David - yes, we'll be shipping to Australia. You can drop us a line at info@raspberrypi.org - hope to hear from you soon!
--
Head of Comms, Raspberry Pi Foundation
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator