Bluetooth Dongle £1


10 posts
by delicious-pi » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:47 pm
Picked this up for a pound from...poundworld. Worth a punt i reckon, have no idea about compatability.

http://i.imgur.com/zh9MT.png
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:49 pm
by Jongoleur » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:51 pm
delicious-pi said:


Picked this up for a pound from...poundworld. Worth a punt i reckon, have no idea about compatability.

http://i.imgur.com/zh9MT.png



Got a similar one from a different poundshop chain - works ok under Windows, I haven't tried with Linux.

Hey ho - its only a pound after all!
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....
User avatar
Posts: 1179
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:47 pm
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...
by delicious-pi » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:54 pm
Jongoleur said:


delicious-pi said:


Picked this up for a pound from...poundworld. Worth a punt i reckon, have no idea about compatability.

http://i.imgur.com/zh9MT.png


Got a similar one from a different poundshop chain - works ok under Windows, I haven't tried with Linux.

Hey ho - its only a pound after all!


Yup, using under w7 64bit right now :) I have a couple of sd's and this to try out, the suspense is killing me!
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:49 pm
by jamesh » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:12 pm
Considering the amount of work/tech involved in a bluetooth dongle, they really are remarkably cheap.

But then you could say that about the Raspi.
Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at Picademy September and October 2014.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 12158
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm
by delicious-pi » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:27 pm
JamesH said:


Considering the amount of work/tech involved in a bluetooth dongle, they really are remarkably cheap.

But then you could say that about the Raspi.


We need to get the raspi's produced in the same factory as these!
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:49 pm
by Kokoro » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:24 pm
thanks for posting this.  I may try to get one at that price.
User avatar
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:09 am
Location: darkest wales
by riffraff » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:44 am
:( Hmmph. Poundworld. Sucks to live in US.

You rarely find stuff like that at Dollar Tree or Big Lots. Big Lots did have a $12 USB keyboard with wireless mouse this week, plus a $6 powered USB hub/universal media reader with a 4GB micro SD card. :)

Sad, though, all my cash went to rent, petrol and bills this week :(
User avatar
Posts: 306
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:17 am
Location: Newnan, Georgia, US
by SirLagz » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:36 am
Dealextreme has all this stuff for cheap

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/s.....ible-11866 <-- looks very similar, and I used this on my linux eeePC with no problems.
My Blog - http://www.sirlagz.net
Visit my blog for Tips, Tricks, Guides and More !
WiFi Issues ? Have a look at this post ! http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=44044
Posts: 1704
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:53 am
Location: Perth, Australia
by jamesh » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:38 am
delicious-pi said:


JamesH said:


Considering the amount of work/tech involved in a bluetooth dongle, they really are remarkably cheap.

But then you could say that about the Raspi.


We need to get the raspi's produced in the same factory as these!


They might be!
Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at Picademy September and October 2014.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 12158
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm
by marknotgeorge » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:16 pm
I bought one of these, and so far, I've managed to get it to install and find my laptop and phone. To get it to work, I installed Bluez using
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install bluez

Then I created a hcid.conf file in /etc/bluetooth, based on Code Listing 3.3 on this page (yes I know it's Gentoo, not Debian, but it's Linux, innit?).

Then I restarted the BT daemon with:
Code: Select all
/etc/init.d/bluetooth restart

and the bluetooth device hci0 was up and running. hcitool scan found my phone and laptop. I'll investigate further when I have a decent internet connection for the pi. Bridging my laptop's wifi seems to be unreliable.

I did notice, however, that the dongle didn't like my USB hub. It didn't even like the ps2-USB adapter my keyboard and mouse are connected to running off the hub. I'll have to investigate that further, too. I'm gonna make a USB lead with no power wire to see if that makes a difference.

My ultimate goal for the BT, for now, is to be able to connect a PS3 remote to the pi for XBMC.
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:19 pm