New RS Components email

42 posts   Page 1 of 2   1, 2
by Tass » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:05 pm
Doesn't actually say anything new, but it's something I suppose....

Hello to all our Raspberry Pi followers - UPDATE ALERT!

Firstly, we are very grateful for all the patience you have shown as we deal with the tremendous interest in the Raspberry Pi - it has been phenomenal and it is fantastic that there is so much enthusiasm for it out there.

We know how keen you all are to get your hands on the product and get programming, however Raspberry Pi has made us aware of a ‘manufacturing hiccup’ with the initial batch that came to light following additional testing. Fortunately the problem is only minor and Raspberry Pi is working to correct it. A full explanation can be found on the Raspberry Pi website We’re continuing to work closely with the Raspberry Pi foundation to minimise any delay in getting the Raspberry Pi to you and hope that you will bear with us a little longer. We’ll keep updating our FAQs to give you information as we receive it.

A lot of you have also asked about how we are managing our queue, and when you’ll be invited to place your order for a Raspberry Pi. We’re going to be receiving the boards in batches, so as we receive confirmation that the batches are ready, we’ll be inviting people in on a first-come, first served basis, from time of original registration, to place orders on our new Raspberry Pi online store. The invitations will be sent to groups that match the number of boards we have available, to ensure that if you place an order, we’re able to take it and tell you when we can ship your Raspberry Pi.

Thanks again for your patience, and we’ll be in touch again next week for a further update.

RS Components Ltd
by spurious » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:08 pm
has any email sent so far from RS said anything that was actually informative?

They have mastered the art of speaking and saying nothing
by nick.mccloud » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:09 pm
And saying it a week after the event! They must be awfully busy the poor loves.
by Jongoleur » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:14 pm
How sweet of them!

I've not got one of those yet….

I'm supposing the info emails are being sent out in order too, so the sooner you get one, the sooner you'll get your invite to buy.  :-(

Edit:  I just read the bottom of the communique

Thanks again for your patience, and we’ll be in touch again next week for a further update.

RS Components Ltd

They actually said THAT???

Patience is wearing thin, methinks.
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...
by shirro » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:21 pm
The email is a missed opportunity. I would have written:

Hi there, we are RS. Remember us? We are the ones who wouldn't take your order on the 29th. We know you have already given your credit card details to our competition and perhaps even had a look at their forums and blasted them for their crazy Australian pricing before they backed down. Thats ok. Just remember there is one thing RS can do that they can't. We can sell you a second Raspberry Pi. We will be back to you soon. Have your card ready. Cheers, RS.

by JonB » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:27 pm
Very amusing..

:)

No eMail for me though; but I have "registered interest". Which as already noted is waning fast. "It's a two horse race now... COME ON FARNELL!!"
by Kernel » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:01 pm
spurious said:

has any email sent so far from RS said anything that was actually informative?

They have mastered the art of speaking and saying nothing

That is indeed correctshirro said:

The email is a missed opportunity. I would have written:

Hi there, we are RS. Remember us? We are the ones who wouldn't take your order on the 29th. We know you have already given your credit card details to our competition and perhaps even had a look at their forums and blasted them for their crazy Australian pricing before they backed down. Thats ok. Just remember there is one thing RS can do that they can't. We can sell you a second Raspberry Pi. We will be back to you soon. Have your card ready. Cheers, RS.

Yes we have to put up with them in the hope they might give us a second pi!

Also GMail sent the email to the 'Spam' folder and I nearly deleted it by accident - well at least google knows which folder RS deserves to go into :P
by grumpyoldgit » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:09 pm
Yes. Just extracted the RS email from my Gmail spam folder. I've never found a genuine email in my spam folder before so I'm not sure what RS are doing.
by Kernel » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:18 pm
Grumpyoldgit said:

Yes. Just extracted the RS email from my Gmail spam folder. I've never found a genuine email in my spam folder before so I'm not sure what RS are doing.

well at the start when GMail began it was very good - but over the last few years I have had quite a few genuine emails go to spam :(
by Dogs » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:39 pm
Come on... You guys just like a good moan i think.

RS compnents have not taken anyones money because they do not have any product to sell us yet - When they do they will take my money.

I for one prefer this approach over the other company that a) have not heard of, b) take your money knowing full well they cant send you anything as they dont have anything and c) Giving false promises with ETA's they have no way of knowing if they can meet.

OK so these two companies have two different approaches to the same situation and it is up to us as consumers as to which to place our bets on.

I for one prefer the compnay that is at least being half way honest and responsible (RS).

Hopefully i will get an email that will let me place an order - and when i hand over my cash i will know they have something to send me :)

Dogs.
by steviewevie » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:45 pm
Good points from Dogs. Neither company has shipped any product yet have they ? Doesn"t really make a difference that Farnell have been accepting orders, it hasn"t speeded up the process of getting Raspis into customers" hands, it"s just raised a different set of questions ("what's the status of my order ?", "what delivery date have you got ?").
by rurwin » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:05 pm
In the UK, and going on their standard practise, if both companies get stock at the same time and release it to customers at the same time, then RS will get it into customers' hands first.

RS uses next-day delivery as standard, whereas Farnell just bungs it in the post.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by timgiles » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:20 pm
Yes, all well and good to receive another emailing saying well..... not very much. If you compare it to previous ones, really not much has changed.

The frustration I feel is that:

1. We are several weeks after the launch and no one has confirmed that either RS or Farnel are getting any more RPIs manufactured

2. Considering we have 10k made, yes with a slight issue that is being corrected, is it that hard to put in an order for 200k?

I dont understand the mentality of having 200k plus people wanting at least one, and yet several weeks after the launch, there are still 10k made/ordered with seemingly no movement on any others. Maybe its because this is a small margin item for Farnell and RS? Maybe because its consumers that are buying them at the moment, and really both companies just want to supply large bulk orders to companies, educators etc...

Dont get me wrong, I know they cant magic 200k out of thin air. Oh and all this rubbish about needing components and that 100k or 200k ethernet sockets are not instantly available. Utter TOSH. rubbish. Other than the Broadcom SoC, there is nothing on the PCB that is not available in bulk. Even that, I doubt very much unless there is a need for a million, that supply cant be made relatively quickly.

The contracts for RS and Farnell have supposedly been worked on for months. So again, the iceage like speed to ramp up production can only be put down to a lack of willingness on their parts.
by msloan » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:20 pm
I'm in US and after seeing this post, checked my spam folder(gmail) and sure enough, I got the same email. The other emails from RS have not been sent to my spam folder??.

I registered at around 6:07 FYI
by Gert van Loo » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:21 pm
rurwin said:

In the UK, and going on their standard practise, if both companies get stock at the same time and release it to customers at the same time, then RS will get it into customers' hands first.

RS uses next-day delivery as standard, whereas Farnell just bungs it in the post.

Not for me. I always get them the next day from both. But RS will still be first because RS deliveries always arrive around 7:30 in the morning and Farnell at 3 in the afternoon. It is one of the reason I prefer to order from RS because it gives me a whole day more to solve urgent problems.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by tbar » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:45 pm
Kernel said:

Also GMail sent the email to the 'Spam' folder and I nearly deleted it by accident - well at least google knows which folder RS deserves to go into :P

Thanks for that info!! I just found two emails from RS in the Spam folder!
by Burngate » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:47 pm
When I've dealt with RS in the past, we've picked things up from their trade counter ... I wonder if I'll be able to do that this time, and save on P&P?
Wyszkowski's Second Law: Anything can be made to work if you fiddle with it long enough.
Brain surgery is easier than psychoanalysis
by grumpyoldgit » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:56 pm
Sounds like a good idea to me. I don't anticipate you having any problems.

/cough
by Dogs » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:58 pm
Burngate said:

When I've dealt with RS in the past, we've picked things up from their trade counter ... I wonder if I'll be able to do that this time, and save on P&P?

I doubt they will have them at trade counters... more liley they will have them all in a central Distribution Center and sent from there.
by alexeames » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:02 pm
Timothy Giles said:

The frustration I feel is that:

1. We are several weeks after the launch and no one has confirmed that either RS or Farnel are getting any more RPIs manufactured

It was exactly two weeks yesterday. I know it feels like longer. But that hardly constitutes "several weeks since launch".
Alex Eames RasPi.TV HDMIPi.com RasP.iO
by nick.mccloud » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:06 pm
Timothy Giles said:

Even if they did "confirm" they were making some more, how would that help and would people believe them.

I doubt they are daft enough to just sit on a huge pile of orders and not get on with making some more - and given the spacing of delivery dates that Farnell have issued it would appear that they have several batches in hand.
by Jongoleur » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:11 pm
Finally had a chance to look in gmail and yes, the RS communique was lurking in the spam folder.  Annoying, as I told gmail that RS wasn't spam the last time!

Anyhow, email was timed at 12:48, for what thats worth!
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...
by tritonium » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:58 pm
Well I've dealt with RS in the past - sometimes good and other times not so good.

But hang on, as far as I'm concerned they've done what they can.

They've promised that they will be serving on a first come first served basis relating to the time of registering. Well thats a relief! Its not their fault that the first traunch have been held up or their IT systems couldn't cope with the opening day deluge - their systems were quite adequate for dealing with the customers (industry) and THIER ordering habits, not the spotty public jumping on a me-too bandwagon (of which I'm one!!)  ;-)

Do you know for sure that more are not on order? (though if they were it would be nice to know). They have said they will be released in batches which might imply that more ARE on order, So please RS have got more on order and if so how many and if not why not?

And if your spam folder doesn't work why blame RS?

Chill out everyone, there are more important things (I think)

Dave

PS I've not received this last e-mail.... no junk mail
by Wizzard » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:03 pm
Has everybody received this mail?

I received the one that says:

Dear Customer

Congratulations! We’re pleased to let you know that you are in the first batch of our registrations for Raspberry Pi.  (etc...)

But I have not received this one (neither it is in my spam folder)
by Montala » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:14 pm
Wizzard said:

Has everybody received this mail?

I received the one that says:

Dear Customer

Congratulations! We’re pleased to let you know that you are in the first batch of our registrations for Raspberry Pi.  (etc...)

But I have not received this one (neither it is in my spam folder)

I would have thought that sounds quite encouraging actually... hopefully you will actually be able to place a firm order for one soon.