connecting Raspberry Pi and Open Pandora?

17 posts
by 2bit » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:13 am
Hello fellow Raspberry Pi owners . :) My name ( ok screen name ) is 2bit . I just got a Raspberry Pi from my aunt for Christmas :) . My other device of this nature ( open source , hacker friendly , out of the uk , Linux ) is the open pandora :D . So my question is , what would be a good hardware hack ( for the pi in my life ) that would in essence allow it to act as a standalone yet connected ( kinda like those transformers that would combine and make one big one ) computer system . I'm not talking bout squishing them together in one case ( THAT would be cruel and unusual punishment to awesome computers ) but more like a cable that would connect them and allow them to work in tandem to split processing of different sorts . Sorry if I've confused you . I'm a teenage American . We have bad terrible grammar and speling . ;)
by clive » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:43 pm
welcome 2bit! - I can't help technically, but I've edited the title so people can see what you are trying to do... Good luck :)
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
by 2bit » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:44 am
Thanks Clive
by grydholt » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:26 pm
Hi,

If you want a cable, I guess using USB would be the way to go, but it wouldn't require any hardware hacking. Have you seen the page at http://pandorawiki.org/Hardware_hacking? I'm not a hardware guy so I cannot really help more. By the way what kind of processing did you have in mind?

/grydholt
by 2bit » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:42 am
I was inspired by this article I found online ( cant remember where I found it :cry: ) where a computer science lab took 20 - 30 ( maybe more ) Rpis and had them cooperate to run programs . Basicly a low budget super computer ( The one in the article ) . My idea was to do that with one Raspberry Pi and one Open Pandora . The program(s) I had in mind were resource hungry emulators . Like Nintendo 64 , Psp ( did you hear about the one for android in development ? ) , and maybe dreamcast .
by ghans » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:41 pm
Google Single System Image Operating Systems.

Perhaps screen+SSH and usbnet is an alternative for you.
Forum meber sdjf only connected his Zaurus via USB to the Pi , and could SSH.
No LAN/WLAN connection necessary.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by remoheadder » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:23 am
When you talk about the super-computer, that is basically used for number crunching. I am pretty sure that it wouldn't really work well, even in your case with 2 computers. Although I have not really seen one used for that purpose, so just go searching for similar situations and see if it would work what you want. Sorry if my post doesn't help you much
by 2bit » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:53 am
How would one get them to split the processing of programs .
by ghans » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:10 am
Thats the problem.
Parallel computing programs have always been specially
written for parellel computing platforms. AFAIK 90% of worlds
consumer software does not perform better on a dual-core machine ,
because the developer would have to write loads from scratch , and
whats worse - he would have to change his mindset of how to approach
computing problems.

So when 90% of worlds consumer software has problem scaling on multicore
machines , what do you expect from multi-node clusters , which suffer from
greater latency ?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by robotmaker » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:31 pm
Cluster or grid! Yay! Something I can help with! There is a great example a guy made of how to do so with 64 Pis with Ethernet cables. I am typing this with a iPhone :roll: so I can't really find my bookmark and people have been doing lots of things like this. Good community. He also shows how with 2 Pis. Shouldn't be too hard to do this with the combo. Here is one example of a Pi cluster: http://basho.com/blog/technical/2012/11 ... i-cluster/ If the cluster won't work because of hardware differences, than do a grid.
Hope we can get enough people working on Jedi Knight that we can get it running well on the Pi! Jepi Knights!
o_/
||
/\
by 2bit » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:29 am
Is there a newb friendly ( I'm an eighth grader who is still currently saving for a soldering iron , but yes I know I don't need one for this ) way to do the clustering ... Would Ethernet work if I spliced a Ethernet cable and USB together ? To create something like LAN ?

Sorry I'm new to this world of computers .
by ghans » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:13 am
Nope.
BTW , where did you get the Pandora from ? Is it really so
versatile as advertised ?

I can't give you complete tutorials. TBH , this is supposed to be
a pretty advanced topic anyway. So most of your success will
be a result of your own research in the end IMHO.

Links :

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/~sjc/raspberrypi/pi_supercomputer_southampton.htm
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=25159

If you look closely , you'll see that the program had
specificially be written for MPI. If you are seriously interested in this
topic , you should have a look into Plan 9.

ghans
by 2bit » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:00 am
Oh . Ok . I'm going to ( eventually its one of my plans to get done this year ) learn to code . Re Open Pandora : I got it from ithic here in the states . It's a online shop run by Mark ( and excuse me if I misspell his last name ) Linkhorst . He serves N , S America possibly the globe . Dragonbox also sells them in Europe . Unofficially ( as in not Craig Rothwell or EvilDragon ) one of the board members has a small shop in Paris that focuses around the Pandora . Craig Rothwell ( he is the one largly responible for their inception after all ) sells them as well but he is currently in over his head involving the Icontrolpad 2 .
Yes the Open Pandora can do a lot and IT IS pricey ( think neo geo of open source ) and it requires elbow greese to use but if you own a rpi I'm sure you can manage . On top of that it is one of those things where you like it or you can go buy a Mac . With extra ram . cause it not some pick up and - well now I've confused myself . Lets just say its not for the easily discouraged . But I love it for that .
No I'm not an advertising bot . I'd try and push the rpi on the Pandora boards but many , many already have one there . Plus we discuss it often .

Well since my previous idea won't work ( unless I can code for 2 devices by Tuesday ) do you know if I could put a Raspberry Pi in a mechanical keyboard case and use it as a general purpose old computer emulator ?

Sorry , I'm tired I should be getting on into bed .
by ghans » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:04 am
Check out the retropie script.
In the FLOSS world , there always seem to be at least four emulators
for each device , and none is working perfect on the Pi.
So you have to compromise depending on your needs.

ghans
by 2bit » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:38 am
Thank you . Oh and a question : what does FLOSS stand for ? A google Search only reveals dental hygienic products and flash games .
by ghans » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:44 am
Free , Libre and Open Source Software

ghans
by 2bit » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:10 am
Ohhh ... Now I feel like the guy who tried to weld more ram to the back of his iPad thinking welding was the same as soldering and that you could easily modify an iPad's hardware . AND forgot to take the back off . Not that anyone did that . Just saying how much of an idiot I feel .