Greatest game of all time

135 posts   Page 4 of 6   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
by Mr Nod » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:20 pm
Elite on 48K Spectrum (did anyone else spend *ages* getting the LensLok anti-piracy device to work properly, or was it just me?)

OR

Speedball 2 Brutal Delux on Amiga. The Bitmap Brothers were simply great.
by impomatic » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:59 pm
Core War: the idea of the game is to write a short program to compete against someone else's program.  A simple idea with incredible depth.

The Hobbit: an early text adventure. I used to love exploring, mapping and solving the puzzles. :-)
by obarthelemy » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:50 pm
I've had tremendous fun with the Civilization series over the years. I'm still on 4 since my nettop chokes on 5, and after 6 (?) yrs of playing it on and off, I still feel i'm nowhere near done with it: still not playing at max difficulty, still haven't tried all civs, still haven't messed around with all possible strategies... I've played 2 before, III not so much... Code quality has improved, and gameplay has always been very deep.
by laurie » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:01 pm
Sorry to join the crowd, but Elites 1, 2 and 3. I'm still looking for something that gets me as engaged (particular memory as a boy setting up my Spectrum underneath my cabin bed so I could pretend I was in a spaceship)

Notable mentions for Manic Miner, SM's Pirates (let's be honest, was Elite with swords), Cinamaware's Wings, UFO: Enemy Unknown and more recently Elder Scrolls 3 onwards.
by o19 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:16 pm
Transport Tycoon
by tritonium » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:35 pm
the best most rewarding, funnest, absorbing, timeconsuming game for me EVER

'qbasic' - thousands of hours - that and 'assembler' (various processors).

yep I just cant leave it alone

A puzzle I make for myself.

and it came free on the dos disc

BUT

then theres 'freecel' - my best run so far is about 150 ish

Yes 'elite' and 'lemmings' but has nobody else heard of

'homeworld' ?  and later 'cataclyzm' ?

its not the fighting but just watching the harvesters at work, building up a fleet and waiting for the enemy... and the control system is just so EASY

for years I only used the demo which came on a Pc Pro disc, and years later bought a full copy just as a thankyou...

I guess the games industry didnt make much out of me!...

dave
by Lynbarn » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:00 pm
It may be apochryphal, as I never actually saw it myself, but there were reports of a working flight sim "hidden" in the code for Microsoft's Excel. (97, I think). Not the greatest game of all time perhaps, but it does show a certain degree of geekiness on behalf of the MS coders:)  Apparently, and to my mind, rather sadly, corporate MS made them take it out of later versions!
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Prometheus » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:03 am
^ It is, apparently, true. Instructions are located here. :P
by riffraff » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:24 am
Okay, I'll be the Philistine here and say the entire HALO series. Love FPS games, not so much for the violence, but because the environments are so immersive. Maps in that series have always been interesting to wriggle out of and explore.

Favorite of all FPS's however, is Far Cry on the Xbox. The game is only average, but the map editor is wonderful and I spent many an hour building outrageous structures.
by Sciman » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:23 pm
OK ... I've held back on this topic for a long time but there are now 6 pages of suggestions and still no one has mentioned the only real contender for Greatest Video Game of All Time: The original Tron

Why?

No graphics - just two lines, cannot be played anywhere other than on a computer, pure unadulterated game play. Unlike Pong you really care if you win and cry if you lose.

You know I'm right ;-)

... IMHO
by Luny » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:41 pm
Feed the Tree!
Luny
by abishur » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:26 pm
aw, this is making me sad that there's a generation who lacks the patience to sit down and enjoy a text game like Zork.  Or even some older classic games (asteroids anyone?) because they're not flashy enough to be worth while (I actually had a hard time getting my wife to watch a movie in black and white, Arsenic and Old Lace for those who care, she eventually caved and loved it)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Prometheus » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:33 pm
Abishur said:

aw, this is making me sad that there's a generation who lacks the patience to sit down and enjoy a text game like Zork.  Or even some older classic games (asteroids anyone?) because they're not flashy enough to be worth while (I actually had a hard time getting my wife to watch a movie in black and white, Arsenic and Old Lace for those who care, she eventually caved and loved it)

I love Asteroids! (I'm in my late 20s, so perhaps I'm not of the impatient generation anyway? :P ) For some reason, I never felt that Asteroids Deluxe had the same charm...

I haven't played any text-adventures in a damn long time, though...
by Luny » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:30 pm
Abishur said:

I've never understood why people won't watch an old B&W movie, just cos it's not in colour. Do these people not know what a story is? I've recently been collecting the old US film noir. The Blue Dahlia is just brilliant. I had a mate who wouldn't watch tele is the TV was B&W. He was so fussy he would only watch the best of TVs. Me, I love a good quality HD picture, but if all I got is the B&W portable, I'm just as happy. The story should always come first.

I always thought I prefered text adventures because I wasn't a very good arcade player. But I reckon I'm just more at home. :)
Luny
by boarsblood » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:03 am
OskiLover said:

0.o     o.0 (Nobody is looking)

Skyrim

Skyrim?

using System;
using System.IO;
using System.Text.RegularExpressions;
using PoncyGraphics;

/// <param name="fileIn">grestestGameEver\Elite</param>
/// <param name="fileOut">arrowToTheKnee\Skyrim</param>
/// <param name="searchText">Spacecraft</param>
/// <param name="replaceText">Men in leather trousers</param>
static public void ReplaceInFile( string filePath, string searchText, string replaceText )
{
StreamReader reader = new StreamReader( fileIn );
string content = reader.ReadToEnd();
reader.Close();

content = Regex.Replace( content, searchText, replaceText );

StreamWriter writer = new StreamWriter( fileOut );
writer.Write( content );
writer.Close();
}
by Lardon » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:12 pm
Civilization IV.

Why ? Well, everybody knows why ! Isn't it ? :p

Civ IV may or may not be the greatest game of all the time, but Civilization is undoubtly a great serie. I haven't ever heard of someone disagreeing with that statement.

Civ IV is a brilliant strategy game, but, in my opinion, the Civilization serie goes well beyond gaming. Making your civilization strive through the ages, from the wheel to the Apollo Program, discover new technologies, achieve great accomplishments, shape the world, is a wonderful experience. Because it is about what mankind has accomplished since human exists. I'm getting a little bit emotionnal, but just thinking about it makes me feel something.

Civilization is also quite cultural. I learned things. With a video game. And it makes me want to travel and discover these once great civilizations, what these people have given to mankind. How these peoples lived, prospered and fell.

And all of this also makes me think about the very future of our civilization.
by Mozza » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:30 am
Elite II Frontier (was very young for Elite and it was a pain docking).

Chaos (bought for 50p from Games Workshop)

The Settlers

Championship Manager (1999-2000 . Lets keep it retro)

Total Annihilation

I still have the last three on my Laptop or Netbook.

Notable mentions to Uridium, Firelord, Starquake (Spectrum), Wings, It came from the desert, Chaos Engine, Stunt Car Racer (All Amiga), APB (the original), Starglider (Spectrum 128 version)... I'd best stop there. Too many to mention...

Now off to reinstall a lot of emulators.
by brian_reiter » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:12 pm
Hmmm, Wizball and Dropzone on the C64 I think, Frontier on the Amiga.
by colasoda » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:04 pm
SKYRIM!

Best RPG ever!

MW3!

Best online experience ever!
by winkleink » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:59 pm
Zenji -

Toy Bizarre -

Dropzone -

I'm especially fond of Dropzone as it had 3 buttons for Fire, Cloak and Strata bomb (Like Defender)

The C64 joystick port 1 mapped to some key presses and by luck the keys for Cloak and Strata were available through port 1.

I made my own joystick from micro switches, plastic piping for the handle and the joystick stick from a broken Konix joystick.

This meant I could sit back and play Dropzone with all 3 functions available rather than being hunched over the keyboard.
Twitter:Winkleink
Google+: Winkleink
by ariliv » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:00 pm
For me, Mario, Contra and Space Invaders would be the best games to have ever lived.

Though they are practically very simple, they held a lot of entertainment value and replay value in them.

I remember the time when the Family Computer already sufficed for everyone to enjoy and there really a lot of games in it with just a few cartridges.
by MegaGumbo » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:56 pm
In terms of time spent playing and fun experienced:
Elite, Mercenary, The Last Ninja (C64), Sim City, Frontier, Syndicate (Amiga), Sytem Shock, Doom 1&2, Jagged Alliance 2, Under a killing moon (PC)
by russ wall » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:09 pm
Not a lot of driving games getting a mention around here, but for me Pole Position was a work of beauty. Spent a fortune (dinner money) in the local arcade trying to knock a tenth off qualifying time and good enough to get me through my driving test first time. Perfect in every way.
by MegaGumbo » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:01 am
Not a lot of driving games getting a mention around here, but for me Pole Position was a work of beauty. Spent a fortune (dinner money) in the local arcade trying to knock a tenth off qualifying time and good enough to get me through my driving test first time. Perfect in every way.

"Stuntcar Racer" was quite a great racing game on the C64. And "Screamer 2" (called "Bleifuss 2" here in germany) on the PC was the first racing game that gave me an adrenaline kick.
by ren41 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:06 pm
Hmm... Text adventures on the VT terminals, space invaders ditto, Elite, Labyrinth, Lander, Chocks Away, a racing game i cant remember and a number of other Beeb games whose names escape me just now. I think they'll be in the loft, though! Then on PC, ONI, Mafia, Sim City, various Sims games, Max Payne & Max Payne 2. What a let down Max Payne 3 is, and also American McGee's Alice Returns on console. The first Alice on PC was great. GTA on PC. Various Tomb Raiders.

On console, the last 2 GTAs, Rainbow 6 Las Vegas, TDU, Assassins Creed all so far, Mafia II, LA Noire, Red Dead redemption, bioshock I/II (I had to force myself to play Bioshock but then I did play it twice in the end). I can't wait for Bioshock 3. Forza 3 & 4, PGR 3 &4, COD 2 onwards, Medal of Honour, Battlefield Bad Company 1 & 2, Dirt 1, Mafia II, several Tomb Raiders. Metal Gear Solid, Heavy Rain, Uncharted 1 & 2.

I'd need to check the cupboard to see what I've missed! I loved the text MUD adventures but I don't enjoy the japanese RPGs. I only started playing on consoles about 7 or 8 years ago.

The roles are reversed in our house - the only games my OH has ever played are Wii Sports type games, under pressure! He has no interest whatsoever in gaming. He was a Systems Manager (on Prime minis, if anyone remembers them) but never got into coding.

ren