Greatest game of all time

135 posts   Page 2 of 6   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
by scep » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:01 am
tufty said:

... and "Lurking Horror" was the first game to actually make me jump.

Same here :) I bought a disk drive for my C64 just to play Infocom games (still remember the Babel Fish puzzle in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy like it was yesterday)
by hedgehog » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:15 am
for me there are 3:

nsnipes on novell, one of the first lan games. I remember one of us hex editing the face and maze characters so that it was harder to play.

elite because of at the time it's advanced graphics, massive universe, and never ending play. I liked that way that algorithms were used to generate the massive universe.

warcraft 2 for it's playability.22
by daveg » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:47 am
spamel said:

Thank god nobody has said World of Warcraft!

That'll be because it is garbage.

The best games ever are

Elite (on the BBC)

Defender (in the arcade)

Speedball 2 (on the Amiga)

Live for Speed (on my PC)
by Bikko » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:04 pm
Doom

Still a hell load of fun

Fast

Easy

Still making texture packs and mods after all these years
by nichobb » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:15 pm
Jet Set Willy (seemingly endlesss platform)
Head over heels (first 3d puzzle game I remember)
Bubble Bobble (I still hear the music)
Battle Chess (although Level 5+ was impossible due to thinking time per move)
IK+ (friend had way of the exploding fist I liked)
Double dragon (3?)
The hobbit (Text adventure game)
Monkey Island (1 and 2)
Civilization games
Sim City
California Games
Daley Thompson"s Decathlon
Gauntlett II

Predator (movie tie in, showed how bad those would be)
by russ wall » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:08 pm
ArgentsQuest said:

Retro Arcade:

Ghost n Goblins

Black Tiger

Rygar

Wonder Boy

Shinobi

Old Computer games from varios systems:

X-Com Terror From The Deep

Carrier Command

Deus Ex

First Encounter(Elite 3) was buggy as hell though.

Civilization

System Shock 2

Little Big Adventure

Flashback

I can't pick my game of all time, so many I like for different reasons

(Atari) Star Wars on Tomy "handheld". Point at the sun and shoot in amazing 3D! Now there's an idea for the display issue. Viewmaster technology!
by piglet » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:36 pm
For me it's a showdown between:

Elite – No brown-nosing required. It was utterly revolutionary and I played it for hours at a time on the BBC from a tape, and on the Amiga I think. I DID get to "Elite", but had to shoot rather a lot of police to do so

and

Unreal Tournament 2004 . I play this pretty much every day. Sad but true!

http://games.titaninternet.co
by pauldow » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:07 pm
I'm going to carbon date myself, and go with Collosal Cave Adventure.

The graphics were in your imagination.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C....._Adventure
by liz » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:34 pm
Baldur's Gate II (Can't believe nobody's mentioned this already. Best. Game. Ever.)

Starcraft

Portal

Sim City, back in the day

Monsters on the BBC Micro (and Chuckie Egg, and Labyrinth, and the port of Defender a friend pirated for me when I was about 10)

Lemmings

The GTA series, although I kind of hated Nico which spoiled the last one for me

L a Mathemagical Adventure

Katamari Damacy and We Love Katamari

I'm loving Skyrim too, Oski; the sandboxiness is brilliant and it's absolutely beautiful to play, but I wish the characterisation, story and voice acting were stronger. Dragon Age Origins was far and away my favourite game of the last few years. (Dragon Age II sucked.)

Eben's currently playing Uncharted 2, having enjoyed Uncharted 3. I'm still on Skyrim, and am likely to be for some time yet! Oh - and I've just downloaded a port of Neverwinter Nights II to my Macbook for a bit of nostalgia.
--
Head of Comms, Raspberry Pi Foundation
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
by mightygoose » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:35 pm
Damn, I guess i'll have to represent with FF7 then.

why: best and most well thought out story i have played in an RPG game ever. Did well with the graphics, the game engine was well crafted. It never got boring.

just disappointed no one brought it up before now.
by Benedict White » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:36 pm
piglet said:

For me it"s a showdown between:

Elite – No brown-nosing required. It was utterly revolutionary and I played it for hours at a time on the BBC from a tape, and on the Amiga I think. I DID get to "Elite", but had to shoot rather a lot of police to do so

I played Elite on the PC. Got Elite in a week. (Just to be clear, I played the game for a week, taking breaks to use the loo and make tea and food, did nothing else, no sleep or anything.)

I did it by getting the fuel scoop first, picking up cargo on the way to and from the sun, then one I had full shields, front and rear firing military lasers etc. used to refuel on really dodgy systems taking out loads of bad guys. Did also shoot up a few docking stations to get the cops out to shoot at.
by n3tw0rk5 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:40 pm
liz said:

Dragon Age Origins was far and away my favourite game of the last few years. (Dragon Age II sucked.) 

Cant believe I forgot about DA Origins, I tended to be a mage far to many times, that game nearly killed my laptop. And yes DA II was no where near as good.
by tufty » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:48 pm
Also, XPilot. Wasted a vast number of hours playing that instead of fixing whatever it was that the traders were bleating on about at the time.
by jmlxg » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:56 pm
I can't believe that you guys forgot about Descent 2. It wasn't the first game I played but I remember playing a lot as a little boy. World of Warcraft is garbage an I played it too only could stick with for a few hours then a got sick of it. I never played Baldur's Gate at all although I heard of it. Starcraft is good as well also played that game some when I was a child.
by n3tw0rk5 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:06 pm
Cant really slate WoW as at first it was really good before it got spammed by kids and it helped me onto an alternative career path.

I am interested in seeing what Stars Wars the old republic is like for gameplay, has anyone allready played it?
by Serapio » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:17 pm
I my opinion the best classic game is The Settlers 2. Its game mechanics were really advanced for its time, it was fun for hours and there already was a big scene creating custom maps.

Recent games i liked include Dragon Age 1, Mass Effect 1 and Skyrim. All of them were really worth playing because of their immersive storylines and sheer neverending amount of quests.

I actually did not like WoW due to several reasons. First: Very many impolite kids. Second: Dumb game mechanics. Why should i spent months farming for gear knowing the next update will render everything useless ?

I played The Old Republic Beta and have to say this game is hyped a lot. It is a very good MMORPG, sure. But is it much different from WoW in its gameplay ? I would not say so. The setting is much cooler, the presentation of the questlines is much better, but in the end it all comes down to the same thing: farm gear, play pvp.
by pythagoras » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:21 pm
Choice between three for me and I can't make my mind up :(

Space Invaders

Defender

Unrealtournament.

Regards

John.
by spamel » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:08 pm
I had forgotten about many of the games mentioned, I may have to see about getting some of them on the PC for a bit of nostalgia. A few weeks ago I tried playing Dizzy Island on an emulator. Still impossible!
by Jim Brown » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:14 pm
Mmm, there are a lot of mentions for Defender. Yep, awesome game in general. Although I did find it a little unfair. Especially those quick, nifty little blighters which would come chasing after you

A couple of platform-specific games are worth a nod:

C64: Uridium - Talk about socks being blown off. This game had the smoothest, cleanest, most-polished bass relief graphics seen at the time. Andrew Braybrook produced a really well crafted side shooter. Although, like Defender, it was a little unforgiving

Atari VCS: River Raid - A vertical shooter with simple but additive design. Its one of those games you can just keep playing

Spectrum: Manic Miner/Jet Set Willy. I mention iconic characters quite a lot but both of these games had them in spades. Penguins, dancing rabbits, spinning razor blades. Magical stuff and engrossing to see
by daveg » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:29 pm
The best thing about defender (IMHO) was the noise when you "spawn in".

Had to get on youtube for the nostalgia of it all

by hippy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:29 pm
pauldow said:

I'm going to carbon date myself, and go with Collosal Cave Adventure.

Ditto. I think, like with favourite music, it's an age-realted thing and preferred genre ( mine's obviously RPG / IF ). My all time favourites are -

* Adventure

* Battle Zone

* Prince of Persia

* Eye of the Beholder

* King's Quest

* Myst

* Discworld
by rfdp86 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:52 pm
Jessie said:

If I had to pick one game as the best it would be Crono Trigger on the SNES.  I just love that game no matter how many times I play it the game is still damn good.

+1

Chrono Trigger storyline is absolutely epic! And it's playbility is so good that I still find it superior to every other RPG I've played so far.

It was a very impressive game for the time it was released, and it's still awesome!
by roelfrenkema » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:14 pm
Nothing will ever beat Manic Miner on the good 'ol Spectrum.
by jamesh » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:50 pm
Ahh, cannot believe I forgot Descent. That game was brilliant.
Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at Picademy September and October 2014.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by Davespice » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:12 pm
In my humble opinion;

Enemy Unknown and Terror from the deep (XCOM).

Why? These games have so much depth.  The graphics were not great, but the atmosphere and scary lighting made it so compelling.  They're also really hard.  Sometimes you would land, go outside your ship and an alien would throw a grenade and take out half your force.

I absolutely loved these games.  There was such a sense of tension when your men were out looking for an alien who was hiding somewhere in the bushes.  You had to really use the terrain and cover to your advantage in order to win.

Interestingly... there is going to be a remake of it done by Fraxis.  Which is going to be a proper strategy version, not the shoot em up version 2K are doing *rolls eyes* :)