Desolder composite connector

9 posts
by ksga » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:33 pm
Hi

I'm wondering if it would be possible to desolder the composite video connector on the RPi?

I will not be needing it (ever), and would like to lose the fat...

Will I brake anything desoldering the 3 tips?
by mahjongg » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:42 pm
No, its just a connector. There are no switches inside, electrically its just two wires going nowhere when you do not plug anything in.

So you can remove the RCA plug, obviously you will lose the guarantee when you do, so make sure the PI is working well before you do such a thing.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by ksga » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:39 pm
nice. guess i'll fire up the old iron...
by gritz » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:08 am
How much fat do you need to lose? It's not like it's generating irq's, or sucking hundreds of milliwatts, or lowering the resale value on ebay...

Leave it on there. Honestly.
by Lob0426 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:28 am
gritz wrote:How much fat do you need to lose? It's not like it's generating irq's, or sucking hundreds of milliwatts, or lowering the resale value on ebay...

Leave it on there. Honestly.

Depends upon what you are going to do with it. If you are going to send it up in a balloon, remote control airplane etc. every little bit counts! The Space Shuttle, when it was flying, was $10,000+ a pound (in 1986). Maybe you need to reduce its cubage to shoehorn it into a project. I have a project that the GPIO pins are just too long and will short against another component. I will probably take off the RCA jack for that also. I might hardwire the Ethernet and use bulkhead connectors for USB too. It just depends apon what you intend to do with your RasPi.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with 512MB
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!
by gritz » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:21 am
Fair do's on removing something if it's physically getting in the way, or you're going to hardwire to the PCB, but having spent a few years tidying up after well-meaning "repairs" and "modifications" on factory production lines and whatnot I feel bound to say that if a person has to ask whether component x is safe to remove or not, then it's possibly best if they left it on there. I expect the O.P. has waited months for their Pi, and even though the possibility of damage will be slight the warranty will be toast and so another wait (and more spendyness) will ensue in the event of a fubar.

Regarding the Shuttle thing: well, yes - losing the connector might save $100 (ignoring the costs of revalidating after the modification), but keeping the astronauts away from the pie, mash and gravy for a week before launch may save considerably more!

Just my engineering POV.
by Lob0426 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:46 pm
(plugging in soldering iron)
Understand your point and OP was not clear as to why it needed to be removed. Look under @godFather89 posts. He has not removed the SoC yet but I think it is a close thing! :lol: :lol: and the thread about modifying the USB under power users.

The low price is why people are willing to try these type of things for the first time. That said, it is best if there is a purpose to the modification.

(so lets see hardwire all the connectors so there is absolutely no resistance. Build own special connector that nobody else can get. Then sell.)

by gritz » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:19 pm
I guess it made me sound like a boring old fart. There's a good reason for that - I am! :D
by Lob0426 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:18 pm
@gritz: I did not take it that way. But I just retired so I am kind of long in the tooth too. :oops: