One of *those* days...

31 posts   Page 1 of 2   1, 2
by liz » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:58 am
So today, the thermostat on the tumble drier broke, I smashed the screen on my Kindle, nudged the satellite dish out of its proper position while trying to remove a chunk of Virginia creeper, and put a pair of jeans in the washing machine without realising there were six SD cards in the pocket. And now it's 2 in the morning and I can't sleep because I'm so cross.

How was your day? :cry:
--
Head of Comms, Raspberry Pi Foundation
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
by mahjongg » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:03 am
Oops, I wonder how your day will be in 10 days, on 13/7/2012 (a friday). LOL.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by grumpyoldgit » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:06 am
That's my birthday. Hadn't realised the day. Gulp!
by liz » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:08 am
May your Kindle remain unsmashed, your SD cards uncleaned and your thermostat working.
--
by mahjongg » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:09 am
Hear hear...

Good night, and sleep well....
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by ukscone » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:14 am
wife pulled a sicky so I couldn't watch the tour de france coverage. i deleted the wrong directory on my laptop that contained two weeks of work & i have no backup after last thursday. i dropped a $50 in the store (I think, all i know is that I am $50 short from expected total and the only place i can think it might have happened was the grocery store) i am covered in scratches after the cats decided to use me as a UFC hexagon. I fell over the wife's handbag that she left lying in the middle of the room putting my back out and she blamed me for scattering everything all over the place.

I think you win though as the screen on the kindle even if it is a kindle is a right PITA. the sd cards should be ok unless you were washing whites on hot with bleach and unless you are a chav I don;t think you posess a pair of white jeans.

oh & i ran out of coffee filters, sugar & half and half so could only have 1 pot of coffee today & had to us icing sugar & wife's flavoured creamers for that pot :(

still think you win though
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by liz » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:23 am
What *was* quite nice, though, was googling ways to jailbreak the newer model of the Kindle that I'm about to fork over for, and finding a forum discussion somewhere else with an awful lot of entries from someone called Abishur on it... 8-)
--
by obarthelemy » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:12 am
Don't use any bad words when venting, they'll come back to bite you months later :mrgreen:

Carrying 6 SD cards in your pocket makes you a nerd !
by Burngate » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:57 am
My SD cards say they are waterproof. Don't have a wash-code on them ,though ...
Wyszkowski's Second Law: Anything can be made to work if you fiddle with it long enough.
Brain surgery is easier than psychoanalysis
by Mortimer » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:15 am
SD-cards are amazing. I once losty an SD-card full of pictures at Grandmother's house. The wife and I were quite upset at having lost so many pictures, the card was full! 2GB. A couple of weeks later I we visited her again, parked the car in the same spot, and as I was getting out of the car, spotted an SD card lying in the gutter. It was the card we had lost, and it was scratched to hell, but still worked!!! :shock:
by liz » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:53 am
I'm hoping they'll work once they've had a chance to dry out. (This isn't the first time I've made that particular mistake...)
--
by SN » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:01 am
as long as you make sure they are COMPLETELY dry (no remaining moisture of any kind and may take a couple of weeks) before you attempt to run any electricity through them you should be OK - fingers crossed for you
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?
by Nr90 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:04 am
liz wrote:May your Kindle remain unsmashed, your SD cards uncleaned and your thermostat working.

Sounds like a good reason to get a nexus 7 8-)
So jealous of you UK folks for getting it!
by liz » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:20 am
I'll be getting another Kindle; I'm very attached to e-ink now, and I know it's old-fashioned, but I actually prefer having a single-purpose device.
--
by Lorian » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:23 am
just and excuse for an upgrade ;)
by asb » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:23 am
liz wrote:What *was* quite nice, though, was googling ways to jailbreak the newer model of the Kindle that I'm about to fork over for, and finding a forum discussion somewhere else with an awful lot of entries from someone called Abishur on it... 8-)

Did you find anything worthwhile to do with it once jailbroken? I have to admit I haven't bothered getting root on mine, though the mupdf-based https://github.com/hwhw/kindlepdfviewer looks worth playing with.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by Mikeyl » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:28 am
I have heard of several people who broke their kindle screens, phoned Amazon about it and were sent a new kindle as a replacement. They make far more money from the books than the devices - always worth a shot.

And i love my Kindle as well - saved about 3kgs on books on holiday!

Mike
by ukscone » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:40 am
liz wrote:I'll be getting another Kindle; I'm very attached to e-ink now.

what's the e-ink like on a kindle? i'm a nook kinda guy as they use epub but the e-ink offerings are annoying at page turns.

sd cards are pretty resilient. found one one the street, i'd seen it lying there 3 weeks previously but couldn't be bothered to pick it up as it had been snowed on, run over by cars and trucks, rained on & sunned on but as it was annoying me to see it lying there i eventually picked it up & tried it and worked perfectly although with the quality of music on it i wish it hadn't
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by davesedar » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:47 am
liz wrote:So today, the thermostat on the tumble drier broke, I smashed the screen on my Kindle, nudged the satellite dish out of its proper position while trying to remove a chunk of Virginia creeper, and put a pair of jeans in the washing machine without realising there were six SD cards in the pocket. And now it's 2 in the morning and I can't sleep because I'm so cross.

How was your day? :cry:

Hi Liz,
I washed an SD card in my shirt pocket.
Worked perfectly afterwards, but didn't improve the quality of the photos on it.
by clickykbd » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:56 am
I assume the "overnight in a bag of rice" trick should work as well on SD cards as it does on phones etc.
by chorlton » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:21 pm
Mikeyl wrote:I have heard of several people who broke their kindle screens, phoned Amazon about it and were sent a new kindle as a replacement. They make far more money from the books than the devices - always worth a shot.

And i love my Kindle as well - saved about 3kgs on books on holiday!

Mike

A mate left his on a plane. He emailed Amazon and basically said, "I've been an idiot but buy a lot of ebooks. Gonnae send me a replacement please?" And they did.

He then broke the screen on that so rightly bought a new one.

Then broke that one too. Not sure what he has now.

I like paper.
by scep » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:34 pm
asb wrote:Did you find anything worthwhile to do with it once jailbroken? I have to admit I haven't bothered getting root on mine, though the mupdf-based https://github.com/hwhw/kindlepdfviewer looks worth playing with.

I hacked mine solely because I couldn't stand Emily Dickinson's dead-shark eyes staring at me from the bedside table <shudder> Off screen now shows random XKCD strips instead.
by liz » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:47 pm
scep wrote:I hacked mine solely because I couldn't stand Emily Dickinson's dead-shark eyes.

That was *exactly* (specifically the Emily Dickinson picture) the reason I hacked mine. I have a large and boring collection of wallpaper to replace shark-eyes (and many of the other authors on the original list; I kept John Steinbeck because he's hawt.) The awful wallpaper was my original reason for jailbreaking it; all I've really found it useful for besides that is SSHing in to it; you can also use it as a USB network device, but I haven't done.

ETA: and no, I didn't break it by hacking it. I dropped it on a tiled floor and the substrate shattered. :(
--
by liz » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:51 pm
ukscone wrote:
liz wrote:I'll be getting another Kindle; I'm very attached to e-ink now.

what's the e-ink like on a kindle? i'm a nook kinda guy as they use epub but the e-ink offerings are annoying at page turns.

I haven't used the touchscreen version, but the keyboard version's screen is great; you really don't notice the page turns, and e-ink is so much more readable than an LCD screen.
--
by abishur » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:00 pm
]
liz wrote:What *was* quite nice, though, was googling ways to jailbreak the newer model of the Kindle that I'm about to fork over for, and finding a forum discussion somewhere else with an awful lot of entries from someone called Abishur on it... 8-)

:ugeek: It's true, I may have frequented their forums for a time after reading my license agreement stated that I could legally do anything I wanted to the device, but they weren't going to make it easy on me :lol: So I gave feedback and assistance on unlocking the kindle touch. It was a very fun process!

[quote="asb"
Did you find anything worthwhile to do with it once jailbroken? I have to admit I haven't bothered getting root on mine, though the mupdf-based https://github.com/hwhw/kindlepdfviewer looks worth playing with.[/quote]

For me, it was worthwhile to be able to remove the ads (see the fore mentioned, "I could legally do anything I wanted to the device"), I also redirected the folder used for screensavers so I could use any picture I wanted as a screensaver, modified the default screen from a silhouette of boy under a tree to a silhouette of boy on one side (me) and a girl (my wife) on opposite sides of the tree, and finally modified the charging, usb connected, and updating software screens to be my own funny things like this one for when my battery was charging

That last mod was a beast to pull off, it involved changing some .mo files rather than just being able to change a specific photo, but I had to find just the right mo editor or else everything would go crazy!

Anyways, there are lots of other things you can do with an unlocked kindle, but those were the things I wanted.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator