$150 to get Xibo working!

10 posts
by solutionssquad » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:55 pm
We need someone to build an image for the Raspberry Pi which can run & meet the following needs:

Be able to run full Xibo client.
Be able to show Windows media player video within Xibo.
Have VNC enabled for remote access.
Have SSH enabled with security.
Be able to connect to a main server via VPN for remote management.
Have "mini" control panel (like webmin?) for web based configuration via local or VPN network including updates, security management, reboot, ipconfig, peripheral management such as Wifi & bluetooth.
Have easy to use boot menu with same options as "mini" menu.

Bring it on people! Let's see who can pull this off.
by tvinzant » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:12 pm
I'm offering to split your cost if you're interested. I too am looking for the same thing.
by solutionssquad » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:40 pm
The more the merrier!
by solutionssquad » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:03 pm
Bump if anyone out there is up for this.

And I just found this lil gem:

http://potlatchtech.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... ry-pi.html
by fredjam » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:37 am
Is that $150 per hour or $150 per day.
by armishparadise » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:06 pm
I've never heard of Xibo until today, but ...

Xibo developers appear to be working on VDPAU support which will allow codecs like WMV and MP4 to be processed on the GPU but I'm not entirely sure the Raspberry Pi's Broadcom GPU has the gusto for it.

From Xibo's Wiki:

Most reasonably modern PCs should be fine. If you need HD video playback then the faster the CPU the better, otherwise the most basic nettops are normally OK providing they have nVidia graphics. You must have a supported graphics card - most nVidia cards work fine using the binary nVidia drivers.

By a fast CPU I'm guessing they mean 1.8Ghz+ and by nVidia graphics I'm guessing sixteen CUDA cores. Broadcom's GPU looks to have only two pipelines and while they appear to be programmable insofar as you can write shader programs for them I don't believe they are programmable in the same sense that CUDA cores are programmable; so its GPU vs GPGPU here.

If Xibo functions at all I'd imagine it would be pretty limited. I think the heavy lifting to decompress HD video is being done by codec hardware instead of the GPU's programmable hardware. You might be able to play low-resolution WMV files by running Windows Media Player using Wine but I'm afraid that's about as good as it's going to get. If you have HD content in .WMV format it might be best to convert to .MP4 or .MKV since the Raspberry Pi's hardware supports those codecs natively.

I'd recommend just using the Raspberry Pi as some kind of control point for the administration of other computers acting as your Xibo clients and servers like a web-based interface or something. That sounds easy, useful and achievable with the Raspberry Pi's hardware since it wouldn't necessarily even need to run Xibo just to interact with it over the network.
by ghans » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:34 pm
I don't think GPGPU is needed at all. The Raspberry supports
OpenMAX , OpenVG and OpenGL ES. All videos can be hardware
decoded via OpenMAX. The codecs supported are
MPEG2 (DVDs/terrestial broadcasts) ,
h.264 (Blu-rays and online HD) ,
VP8 (some .wmv, some Blu-rays) and MPEG-4 ASP.
AFAIK some kinds of DivX work too.

The problem is that this would need a big rewrite of
Xibos display and multimedia backends , and i don't think
that is a job for a single person.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by hellbender » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:21 am
I got Xibo working on raspbian. Currently working on libavg to add berkelium support ( almost done ).

The image I have has logmein hamachi to connect to my business network and the server. It has SSH and through SSH I use x11vnc to connect to display :0. To bad x11vnx doesn't support overlays so I can't actually see what is on the screen.

Running MPEG2,WMV and H264 through omxplayer with the codecs available from the store. If berkelium and libavg are ready then text and webpages can also be rendered. No flash, sorry.

I don't have an administrative interface because I use SSH to configure the whole thing.

The system is not that hard to create, but it takes about a week to build from sourcecode natively.

With regards,
Hellbender
by colinvv » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:36 pm
Hellbender,

Thanks for the rasp-image. Got it running in production but still looking to view the Canvas via remote. Can't tell what's on the screen! Any more development with VNC?

Colin
by ghans » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:07 pm
I guess dispmanx_vnc should serve your needs ...
it does suffer from lag , though.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org