Preloaded SD Cards

26 posts   Page 1 of 2   1, 2
by yorke » Tue May 29, 2012 5:44 pm
Can anyone tell me from where I am able to buy a preloaded SD Card? Many thanks.
by nick.mccloud » Tue May 29, 2012 6:10 pm
You can find them on eBay.

If you have access to a card & interface for Windows or Mac we can talk you through making your own. Or getting a friend to do it for you.
by yorke » Tue May 29, 2012 6:47 pm
nick.mccloud wrote:You can find them on eBay.

If you have access to a card & interface for Windows or Mac we can talk you through making your own. Or getting a friend to do it for you.

Thank you, that would be very helpful, I will ask my daughter to contact you. I have a camera SD card, I presume it should work. Again my thanks.
by Airstream » Thu May 31, 2012 6:33 am
We have had a lot of success with Kingston 8gb SDHC class 4 cards with not a single failure in any of several Raspberry Pis. Kingston also gives a lifetime manufacturer's warranty on the SD card.
There are quite a few sellers on eBay. Just one example Kingston 8gb SD card with a resized Debian partition to give the full 7.5gb user space on eBay at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110886861994
by chaman » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:59 pm
Get it pre-loaded and pre-tested from auction sites. Quite reliable
I got mine from - http://bit.ly/NfRVl1
by KB3PHL » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:54 pm

I might have to go this route & buy a preloaded SD card because I'm not having any luck getting the debian squeeze file that I downloaded to unzip
Joe KB3PHL
by maneeshg » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:54 am
Hi,

I have tried 2 SD cards, following both (Copying the image to an SD Card on Windows and Copying the image to an SD Card on Windows if first option isn't successful) the set of instructions given on http://elinux.org/RPi_Easy_SD_Card_Setup, still cannot get the Rapsberry Pi to boot.

I am using SanDisk 8GB 30MB/s Extremem HD Video SDHC Card B00422FBJ2 : 619659065317. The card is listed in the approved list.

For power I have tried the power adaptors which came with, Blackberry Bold and HTC.

On the Raspberry pi board I get a red light only against PWR no other lights come on.

Can any one help me please or point me to the discussion in the forum on same (please note not similar, because I have gone through various discussions but none of the solutions worked.) issue.

Thanks and Regards,
Maneesh
by ChadP » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:35 am
If people want someone to program sd cards I can do it. You can send me your card and I'll put the os on it for you it's easy to do and I'll do it free you pay shipping. It sucks that people are trying to learn programming and people are selling cards with os preloaded for so much money. I'm here to help.
by chaman » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:32 pm
chaman wrote:Get it pre-loaded and pre-tested from auction sites. Quite reliable

Correct link
http://smarturl.it/qy49p9
by deanturner1024 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:10 pm
You can also get them from http://shop.micromundi.co.uk

They are all fully extended and tested before despatch.
by jackorton » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:34 am
It's really easy if you are running windows (i dont know about mac). i will go in steps:

1. download the image

2. download win32diskimager <--- link on download page

3. make sure you memory card is completely wiped:
open CMD as administrator
type DISKPART and wait
when loaded type LIST DISK
find your disk in the list (look for appropriate size)
type SELECT DISK 5 <----- (your disk number though)
type LIST PARTITION
now you have a list of the partitions, for most people only 1
type SELECT PARTITION 1
then type DELETE PARTITION
(if there was only 1 partition you are finished, if there was more repeat from LIST PARTITION)

4. open win32diskimager and select you drive in the drop down box at top right

5. next to the drop down box there sould be an icon that you can use to search through folders, click on it and find your image, it will only show .IMG files whilst searching.

6. after finding the image file and selecting it, at the bottom of the window there should be a button with "write" on it, click it.

7. wait

8. when the "done" window appeares (might be narrowed down). Click ok.

9. remove sd card from pc, plug into raspberry and you are done!!!
by Todd » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:45 pm
As a complete beginner I am really lost as to what to do.
I want to do 3 things with the Pi
1. Irrigation controller - 4 relays for 24V AC. 1 relay for 240V AC. The 240 has to be on the same time as any of the other relays. The 4 relays run 10mins each then all relays off for 20 or 40 mins. And repeat or loop.
2. Use the pi to make a MAME arcade table.
3. Use the Pi to make an ROV (remote controlled underwater flying camera)
If anyone could give me pointers, or pre loaded SD cards with either of first two programs (will pay) it would be appreciated.
The ROV project i'd like to try to program but not sure the best language / system to use?
I have a windows 7 laptop.
by SiriusHardware » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:21 pm
KB3PHL wrote:

I might have to go this route & buy a preloaded SD card because I'm not having any luck getting the debian squeeze file that I downloaded to unzip
Joe KB3PHL

Joe,

What (which software) are you trying to unzip the .zip file with? We had a new user recently who could not unzip the .zip file with 7zip, no matter what he tried. Eventually he succeeded in unzipping it by downloading and installing Winzip, which made itself the default unzipper on his system. That worked for him.

However, one other person did say that he used 7zip to unzip OS images without any problem: And I have always just used the unzipper built into Windows explorer (right click on the .zip file, choose 'extract all' from the action box which pops up).
by SiriusHardware » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:06 pm
Todd wrote:As a complete beginner I am really lost as to what to do.
I want to do 3 things with the Pi
1. Irrigation controller - 4 relays for 24V AC. 1 relay for 240V AC. The 240 has to be on the same time as any of the other relays. The 4 relays run 10mins each then all relays off for 20 or 40 mins. And repeat or loop.
2. Use the pi to make a MAME arcade table.
3. Use the Pi to make an ROV (remote controlled underwater flying camera)
If anyone could give me pointers, or pre loaded SD cards with either of first two programs (will pay) it would be appreciated.
The ROV project i'd like to try to program but not sure the best language / system to use?
I have a windows 7 laptop.

Todd, Welcome but this is not the right place to ask those questions (this is a discussion about preloaded SD cards).

For the first, this is an ideal job for Python code and trust me, you could definitely do it yourself. Repost your query about that in Programming: Python.

For the second, get your Pi running MAME first, then build the Pi into a suitable table. Look in Projects : Gaming for a lot of info about MAME and similar projects to the one you have in mind.

For the third, gasp, that's a bit of a quantum leap in complexity - your greatest problem will be how to make it waterproof - that's really a physical engineering problem, first and foremost.
by Todd » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:39 pm
Sirius thanks for your reply, i just got really excited when i stumbled across the Pi on the net but the more I read the more confused i got.
Now at least I have a direction to head in, to get python onto an SD card and start learning how to speak snake
Cheers
Todd
by toxibunny » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:38 am
don't get a preloaded SD card. they're a waste of time and money.
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...
by ghans » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:51 am
I agree with toxibunny. There are too many lazy and greedy
people out there which sell old images to make a quick buck.
This causes seroius problems (they work badly)
and puts beginners off very quickly.
I even think one distributor does this.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by canibalimao » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:36 am
ghans wrote:I agree with toxibunny. There are too many lazy and greedy

ghans

RS does this and Farnell does this too. Ebay is also full of preloaded SD cards for RPi.

Anyone who has access to a computer (windows or unix machine), a SD card and a card readder can, EASILY, creater a SD card with raspbian, raspbmc, openelec, arch, etc. But noobies don't know this and spend a lot of money (10€ for a 4GB SD card is a lot of money. My SAMSUNG and Kingston, class 6 and class 8, costs arround 8€ each) on something useless and outdated...
by opiel16 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:47 pm
canibalimao wrote:
ghans wrote:I agree with toxibunny. There are too many lazy and greedy

ghans

RS does this and Farnell does this too. Ebay is also full of preloaded SD cards for RPi.

Aw, I did the stupid thing (mostly because I wanted an SD card with the raspberry on like in the picture, which it didn't even - just a sticker) and got a preloaded SD card when I bought my Pi, but haven't been able to get it to work beyond the red power light going on. What are the chances are it's the SD card was a bad image, and do you reckon I could get my money back on it from RS?
I've done all the tests and checks I can find short of wiping the card they sent (which I don't want to do in case I can send it back for refund) and manually putting on an image, the voltages are reading great (5.04V, almost no drop accross F3) and the SD card reader looks perfectly functional, no physical problems with the reader or card. All I can think is wrong is the SD card is just wrong.

I'm off to buy a 4GB SD card now so that I can test my theory, because I didn't bring any home from uni because I kind of expected the one I spent too much money on to work right away, what with it being supplied (as a recommended accessory nonetheless) with the product and all and not as a side purchase from some possibly dodgy eBay seller.

I thought I could trust RS :(
by toxibunny » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:04 pm
Just try reimaging the SD card, opiel. If it works, it works. if the SD card itself is broken, then just send it back...
by opiel16 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:31 pm
toxibunny wrote:Just try reimaging the SD card, opiel. If it works, it works. if the SD card itself is broken, then just send it back...

Problem is if I do anything to it then I probably can't send it back, and as previously said you pay a rather large sum for the privilege of having almost no setup time. If they've sold me one with an OS loaded that plain doesn't do that job, and I can prove it, I really want the money back, and they will probably want the card back as bought!

Edit: I can always do with more SD cards anyway, and it's hardly expensive (the £12 for good as blank 4GB one from RS one not so much) to just put the image on a blank new card so I will be doing the rest of what you said.
by canibalimao » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:38 pm
The point is:

Those cards NEVER makes the Raspberry Pi a "plug-and-play" device! Those cards takes as much time as a blank card to prepare. You need allways to clean it because the version in it isn't the newer...

So, if you want your money back, jusk aks them for it and return the card. Buy a blak 8 or 16GB SD card for the price of that 4GB preloaded card and enjoy it.
by opiel16 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:08 pm
canibalimao wrote:The point is:

Those cards NEVER makes the Raspberry Pi a "plug-and-play" device! Those cards takes as much time as a blank card to prepare. You need allways to clean it because the version in it isn't the newer...

So, if you want your money back, jusk aks them for it and return the card. Buy a blak 8 or 16GB SD card for the price of that 4GB preloaded card and enjoy it.

Well I did think it sounded too good to be true, but it didn't make sense why they'd sell a blank one and then a "ready to go" one for four pounds more if you'd just need to do the imaging thing either way, I mean that's just clearly a scam (and surely should be stopped? Is that even possible to get them to stop their clever money making scheme?)

And I really only bought it for the picture of the raspberry on the card, so I could tell which one was my Pi one easily, which it didn't even have... this is mostly just a (hopefully) valid reason to send it back, even if it wasn't the real reason. If it had the raspberry on I'd have re-imaged happily. Might get some permanent markers and doodle my own on when I've sorted exactly what I'm doing!
by canibalimao » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:25 pm
opiel16 wrote:
canibalimao wrote:The point is:

Well I did think it sounded too good to be true, but it didn't make sense why they'd sell a blank one and then a "ready to go" one for four pounds more if you'd just need to do the imaging thing either way, I mean that's just clearly a scam (and surely should be stopped? Is that even possible to get them to stop their clever money making scheme?)

And I really only bought it for the picture of the raspberry on the card, so I could tell which one was my Pi one easily, which it didn't even have... this is mostly just a (hopefully) valid reason to send it back, even if it wasn't the real reason. If it had the raspberry on I'd have re-imaged happily. Might get some permanent markers and doodle my own on when I've sorted exactly what I'm doing!

That is just a way to make money. They have a computer allways ready to burn an image on a SD card and they spend a couple of hours burning cards til they got the amount they want. Then they only need to sell it.
I also thought that it came with a raspberry image sticked on the card, but if they even get it on, this is the perfect scheme to make money.

That could be also good for the consumers if they burn an up to date image on the cards, but this way is just a scheme and a scam!

The foundation should get a hand on this and stop, at least the official stores, making money with the "naivety" of the noob users!
by toxibunny » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:55 pm
There are people who'd want a pi that don't already own a computer/card reader/whatever though. Ideally, the people selling preloaded cards would do a good job with them - put a bit of work into it, put some useful software and a bit of customisation/extra drivers/demos and stuff on it or whatever... And for all I know, there are people who do exactly that. There are definitely also lazily-produced ones with out-of-date stock raspbian on them though, which often need to be updated in order to get generic wifi dongle x working (for instance).

I'd just chalk it up to experience though, opiel. You've got a nice-looking raspi stickered SD card, thouugh some trouble getting it working. If it is just a software problem, and *if* that gives you the right to send it back, all they're going to do anyway is swap it for another one the same. And you'll probably have to pay the postage and maybe wait a couple of weeks. You might as well just bite the bullet and try to stick berryboot on it - You're likely to get a working raspi, and at the very least you'll have more information on exactly what's not working. And you can do it right away. You *might* find out the SD card is physically broken, at which point it *will* be worth sending it back and getting a new one/store credit/whatever they do nowadays...