Using Raspberry Pi with HDMI to VGA convertor

11 posts
by hexelpdkk » Sat May 05, 2012 7:09 pm
I bought one of these :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/KanaaN.....B007QT0NNW

as I have nothing that supports HDMI at the moment. Set config.txt hdmi_mode to various settings, and mode 4 (HDMI_CEA_720p60) has been the most successful. However, resolution on my monitor has been pretty poor, and I am not able to get anywhere near its native resolution (seems to be VGA or below, particularly in X)

Has anyone had any more success with HDMI-VGA convertors?
by hexelpdkk » Sat May 05, 2012 7:50 pm
Maybe I should just accept the inevitable and get myself a 1080p monitor with an HDMI input. Or maybe a new telly. Or maybe both.
by mahjongg » Sat May 05, 2012 10:38 pm
A second hand LCD monitor with a DVI-D input will probably cost less than many HDMI-VGA interface cables, especially good ones (probably less than $50) but make sure it really has DVI-D, or DVI-I, not DVI-A as that won"t work.

you also need a HDMI to DVI-D cable, but these cost just a few dollar, as they contain just wires, no electronics.

Look at the monitors DVI connector, if it has two square groups of 3x3 pins, or a large block of 8x3 pins then it probably is a suitable DVI input connector.

If the connector contains not a single solid 3x3 block of input pins then its a DVI-A connector and no good.

If the documentation or specs of the monitor say it has DVD-I it is also okay, that is the older standard that supported both DVI-D and DVI-A.

One disadvantage is that a computer monitor normally doesn"t support audio (that is one reason HDMI was invented), so you need to use a set of amplified speaker boxes with a 3.5mm jack plug, as is common for sound card audio out.

P.S. you might want to share your experience with posters in this thread, which are talking about the same adapter you use:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....i-to-vga-2

for more info (with pictures) about DVI-D see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D....._Interface
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by hexelpdkk » Mon May 07, 2012 6:17 am
Unsure of exactly what I did, but removed the hdmi_mode setting, and this has suddenly sprung to life, giving me a usable 1400x900 display.
by tezma90 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:11 am
I have the same problem, but I can not find config.txt, which distribution do you have?
by alexeames » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:23 pm
Your adaptor looks very much like a white version of the Neewer adaptor I bought.
Although it works, it's shown, in some cases reported on these forums recently, to be potentially damaging to the Pi as it draws more current than the diode D1 is designed to handle. At least one person has had this diode burn out. I blogged a warning about this yesterday. I haven't used mine much as I bought it for use away from home.

http://raspi.tv/2012/neewer-hdmi-to-vga-adaptor-warning
Alex Eames RasPi.TV HDMIPi.com RasP.iO
by Michi » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:54 pm
I've thought we need a HDMI to VGA adapter with separate power?

Greets,
michi
by alexeames » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:19 pm
Michi wrote:I've thought we need a HDMI to VGA adapter with separate power?

Greets,
michi

You've thought correctly, although several of us have bought ones which don't. :lol:
by Michi » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:20 pm
Ok, so first, i will try a adapter which don't need a separate power adapter ;)

Greets,
Michi
by alexeames » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:56 pm
Michi wrote:Ok, so first, i will try a adapter which don't need a separate power adapter ;)

Greets,
Michi

Your choice, but I won't be using mine with the Pi unless I absolutely have to.
by W. H. Heydt » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:13 pm
[quote="tezma90"]I have the same problem, but I can not find config.txt, which distribution do you have?[/quote]

If your installed image doesn't have a "config.txt" file, then you will have to create one. The file goes into the FAT partition (which is /boot to the Pi) and can be seen (and edited) in Windows or Mac.

In Linux, do:

cd /boot
sudo ,you editor of choice> config.txt

Add the lines you want, save and quit.

On the more general topic... I find that the Neewer adapter really doesn't much care for anything but widescreen monitors. That is, it drives my 1920x1080 display just fine but won't work with a 1280x1024 display. Other than that, I've had a Pi running more or less continuously for over a month using one with no problems.

In the mean time, I have this:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2
converter on order (should arrive tomorrow. It is a trifle annoying to wind up paying more for the converter than for the Pi, but I already have the monitors I plan to use it with. Fortunately, I think I can squeak by in my intended uses with only 2 or 3 of these converters (assuming they do what I want). Beyond that, I can get 17" 1280x1024 monitors for under $65, which is better--long term--choice (I think) than $40 converter boxes.