Java on Debian "squeeze"

18 posts
by ADAMPOKE111 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:58 pm
Can you install java on the debian image for the raspberry pi!

Reason: I want to play minecraft wih my bud :P
by mahjongg » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:39 pm
Not to discourage you, but I think not!

The consensus seems that java on ARM isn't available (yet), and also that minecraft probably will only run really slow on the PI, as java isn't too efficient a platform, and minecraft uses too much memory.

I hope someone dispels my fears.
by Narishma » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:42 pm
ADAMPOKE111 said:

Can you install java on the debian image for the raspberry pi!

Reason: I want to play minecraft wih my bud :P

Minecraft uses OpenGL and the Raspberry Pi only supports OpenGL ES, so it won't work.

Java should work fine, though perhaps a bit slow.
by Narishma » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:44 pm
mahjongg said:

Not to discourage you, but I think not!

The consensus seems that java on ARM isn't available (yet), and also that minecraft probably will only run really slow on the PI, as java isn't too efficient a platform, and minecraft uses too much memory.

I hope someone dispels my fears.

I don't know where you got that impression. OpenJDK is open source, so I don't see why it wouldn't work on ARM.
by mahjongg » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:00 pm
Its just what I heard "through the grapevines", at least for the official (SUN) java runtime system it seems to be true, I also read peoples comments about the technical virtues of minecraft, and these were generally that it would have been a lot better if minecraft wasn't written in Java, and that one of the reasons its often slow is because of that, or because it uses so much memory.

even running a minecraft server might be a problem:

To quote the R-PI FAQ:

Minecraft’s native libraries will not run on the ARM architecture, you will need versions of these libraries that are compiled for the ARM architecture. And even then, minecraft is very power and space hungry: 1gb of ram is a minimal if running a minecraft server. (And on top of that, you will need a good internet connection (+200kb/s upload for about 4 players.)

I still doubt minecraft itself will run well on the Raspi., if it only works with openGL, not OpenGL ES that will be the death knell, as the RPI really only supports Open GL ES, "emulating" open GL (with openGL ES) is possible in theory but not in practice.
by mahjongg » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:08 pm
more about java (not) working on the R-PI here:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....ava/page-1
by ADAMPOKE111 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:39 pm
Yes, it will work in the downloads section theres a linux version of minecraft. Anyways I think you can get more ram via the gpio! I still need to know not what you think but can you acctually install it on debian linux?
by mahjongg » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:55 pm
perhaps you can run it on a debian based system, but can you run it on a debian system with just 224MB of RAM and a 700MHZ ARM processor, I think not!

That the R-PI only has a 700MHz ARM isn't the biggest problem, but not having a swap file will mean that virtual memory is not available to give the system a bit more memory (even when it would slow it down even more. Turning on swapping is possible, but will shorten the live of your SD-card, as swapping does a lot of write cycles, and swapping is very slow compared to having enough RAM.

Let just face it, running minecraft isn't what the R-PI was designed for.

Just perhaps you will get it working somehow, but I think it will be unusable slow, unless a specially rewritten version of minecraft for the R-PI appears someday.

By the way, the notion that the R-PI's RAM can be extended via the GPIO port is complete nonsense.
by jamesh » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:56 pm
I think the downloadable version of Minecraft will be for x86 not Arm - or are you looking elsewhere?

And no, you cannot add more RAM via GPIO. (at least, not RAM in the conventional sense as accessible by the Arm memory manager)

My son loves Minecraft, but I do find it quite stunning how inefficiently coded it must be to run so slowly on even quite powerful machines.
by ADAMPOKE111 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:12 am
You can easily edit minecraft out with a IDE and resave. Sure there will be some glitches but for single player you can all you have to do is... Turn render distance to Tiny or Small, show bobbing off, fancy graphics on, OpenGL auto detect and the other cr*p you need to toggle.

But what I really wanted out of this forum topic was a definative answer to: Can you get Java for the R-Pi? (Debian)
by nick.mccloud » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:17 am
ADAMPOKE111 said:

But what I really wanted out of this forum topic was a definative answer to: Can you get Java for the R-Pi? (Debian)

Definitely yes. I have installed OpenJDK from the Debian ARM repositories and run some sample code.

Good luck hacking Minecraft down to a reasonable size!
by ADAMPOKE111 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:47 am
nmcc said:

ADAMPOKE111 said:

Definitely yes. I have installed OpenJDK from the Debian ARM repositories and run some sample code.

Good luck hacking Minecraft down to a reasonable size!

Yeah, how can you do that? I mean how do you get OpenJDK for the Pi?
by nick.mccloud » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:29 am
ADAMPOKE111 said:

Yeah, how can you do that? I mean how do you get OpenJDK for the Pi?

See this

The package you seek is called openjdk-6-jdk
by ADAMPOKE111 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:23 pm
Minecraft is now ready for thw e Pi! :) I"ll have the download up in few weeks... It"s unoffical and Notch has not given the thumbs-up to it so keep it on the low...
by Yfory » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:34 pm
I haven't tried Minecraft, it seems too resource intensive for Pi. However, the Minetest (open source clone) sources compile as server-only without a problem. If I get time later this week I will try compiling the client version.
by adam van gaalen » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:55 am
ADAMPOKE111 wrote:Minecraft is now ready for thw e Pi! I"ll have the download up in few weeks... It"s unoffical and Notch has not given the thumbs-up to it so keep it on the low...

I wonder if ADAMPOKE111 has been successful yet. My son too is looking forward to play Minecraft on my RaspberryPi!
by ADAMPOKE111 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:16 pm
Just got an email from Mojang saying that pyrating that games was illegal :cry: I was just finishing up on the multiplayer engine aswell ;(
by ghans » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:24 pm
LOL.
Do youself a favour and ditch Minecraft , its EULA and its real or
not so real DMCA implications. Instead help out with Blocky ,
which could need your efforts and knowledge ! Blocky also
uses hardware acceleration from the start.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org