PyGame.error with PyOpenGL - Couldn't find GLX visual

4 posts
by Phoenix RasPi » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:34 pm
I was trying out PyGame and when I got to glcube.py to test PyOpenGL after installation, I got "pygame.error: Couldn't find matching GLX visual".  I'm guessing this may have something to do with the current 16 bit-plane limitation and that the OPENGL flag defaults to 24 bit-planes.  Is there something in OpenGL's configuration where I can adjust the number of bit-planes down to 16?  Or, does this have something to do with the RasPi being limited to OpenGL ES?

Running Debian 3.1.9+ from April 13th.
by toxibunny » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:42 pm
It"s to do with the pi only having OpenGL ES, I"d wager. JamesH is working on making some sort of PyOpenGLES, but proper PyOpenGL is a whole other story...
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...
by Phoenix RasPi » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:36 pm
Thanks.  When I first tried it, I had completely forgotten about the ES aspect of the RasPi.  Fortunately, I've done a lot of WebGL work as well as ES coding on iOS, so, at least I know how to use ES.

I suppose while I'm twiddling my thumbs waiting for my RasPi to show up (I'm limited to borrowing a friend's board) I'll see if JamesH could use some help on PyOpenGLES from me and 3-D coder friends.
by dom » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:12 pm
Check out https://github.com/peterderivaz/pyopengles

It's far from complete, but the guy doing it is ex-Broadcom and had a lot of input into the BCM2835 hardware and software.

Feel free to give it a test and report issues.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator