Nokia Pi LCD + Switch Shield board v2

32 posts   Page 1 of 2   1, 2
by texy » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:15 am
Hi,
Version 2 boards now available. Features include :
Wired for hardware SPI.
PCB now fits Raspberry Pi footprint.
GPIO breakout port to add your other hardware.
5 switches that use can make use of internal pull down resistors.

Price will be £12 plus postage, which is £3.65 within the UK, £4.25 in Europe, £4.75 rest of the world.
Please PM me for availability. I take payment via paypal only and I can usually only post on Saturdays.

Test program to run the v2 board can be found here :
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=38202
Many thanks,
Texy
"2.8inch TFT LCD + Touch screen" add-on boards for sale here :
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=65566
50p goes to the Foundation ;-)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by malakai » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:20 am
Very stylish. Does it really come with an into to Microsoft Foundation Classes? If so is this a video lesson that plays out on the screen :D
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)
by texy » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:26 am
malakai wrote:Very stylish. Does it really come with an into to Microsoft Foundation Classes? If so is this a video lesson that plays out on the screen :D

....it's not quite capable of that, but what this space ;)
Texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by johnnyvdberg » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:03 pm
Looks excellent, but can you tell me how much height it adds with screen and buttons? :)
by ColinD » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:05 pm
Neat improvements to an already excellent board Texy.

Out of curiosity, any especial reason for moving the central button outside of the central position?
Raspberry Pi articles and tutorials: www.rasptut.co.uk
by texy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:52 am
Hi Colin,
yes, as you know, I needed to move the displays postion in order to get the overall dimensions within the Pi's footprint.
As a side effect of moving the LCD slightly to the left, I repositioned the switches so that they were not so close to the LCD.
If I had kept with the original switch configuration, they would of been too close to either the left hand edge, or the LCD itself.

Cheers,
Texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by gordon77 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:18 am
Looks good.

Note that the link to where to buy it in your signature doesn't work, at least on my nexus 7, when I just tap it.

Gordon77
by texy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:42 am
gordon77 wrote:Looks good.

Note that the link to where to buy it in your signature doesn't work, at least on my nexus 7, when I just tap it.

Gordon77

Thanks Gordon77.
Hyperlinks are not allowed in signatures, but if you cut and paste the url into your browser it should work. At least it does on my iphone and Internet Explorer.
Texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by RaTTuS » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:51 am
Most excellent ....
I may get one later to go with my Red Pi ....
but now I'm happy with the ones I have ...
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html <- ask smart Questions
"That's not right, the badgers have moved the goalposts."
1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX - Prosliver FTW
by kfr » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:23 pm
I would like to buy 3 LCD + Switch Shield board v2 (and I'm new to this forum).
Please contact me per PM.
by stestagg » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:52 pm
Yes please!

If you're still selling these, I'd like to buy one

Thanks
by 4drq » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:33 pm
Wonderful project - great idea! I would buy 2 of your "NokiaPiLCD+Switch Shield boards v2". But I can't PM you (since I didn't wrote something?). Please send me a PM how I can contact you. 4drq
by texy » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:38 pm
Hi folks.
I as of tomorrow I will be on honeymoon for a week :D
I will respond when I return, once I have had time to check stock.
Cheers,
Texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by malakai » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:41 pm
Congrats. For a long marriage you may have to leave the Pi at home For a fun marriage hopefully she brought one along :)
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)
by kinder23 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:13 pm
Hi Texy ! I want one :)
Do you sell it yet ?
by texy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:40 am
Hi,
I am back from honeymoon and also some more displays arrived, so we are back in business. Please pm me with your requirements, as I have limited numbers.
Cheers,
Texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by stan0000 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:38 pm
Hello Texy,

Would it be possible to get you board, but with it's components not soldered? I need to rearrange the positionning of the elements (screen, buttons, and GPIO connector) for my project, and I don't want to unsolder everything from a finished board ! In fact, I only need all the components, and just a drawing of the wiring of the PCB.

For sure, I could buy the parts myself, instead of your board in spare parts, but as I'm still a newbie in electronics, I don't want to get issues by choosing the right resistors/mosfet for the control of the LCD lightning. Otherwise, I know that the wiring of the screen and buttons is quite straightforward.

Cheers
by texy » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:36 am
Hi,

it seems like a lot of work for you Stan if you are new to electronics. I can sell you a kit of all the parts if you wish. However this design uses small surface mount (SMT) resistors and the mosfet. Instead I could supply the conventional (through-hole) parts. I think that would be better for you to solder.

Regards,
Texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by JulianBrooks » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:39 am
Hi Texy / all,

1st off, many thanks for the speedy delivery of this excellent looking board - nice job.

Finally had an opportunity to setup a fresh PI to start experimenting with the board.

I've installed all the necessary programs and files and yay the test program works.

As I'm completely new to python I am wondering if anyone has some code they wouldn't mind sharing so I can start to try and get my head around some of the possibilities the screen affords?

I've bought it for an audio installation that I have been wanting to do for a while (I'm a composer) and one of the absolute joys of the Pi's is that 'disposable' computing is now an actuality - i.e. I don't have to leave/buy a laptop at the place where the piece will be heard.

My aims are hopefully quite simple:
I would like to display a few words of text on the screen (grey background/black text/can you set fonts???) and also use the down button to begin the composition.
My program/coding of choice is Pure Data and I can handle all the necessary coding on that side but it's the setting up of the screen that I would really grateful for some assistance from the community with.

There's a few libraries for Pd that act as a bridge with python so I'm going to be checking those out as well.

Also it would be really useful to route a shell to the screen so I can check the boot process - how's that done?

So yeah, first off, any simple examples making use of the screen to get me started would be massively appreciated.

Best wishes to all and thanks again Texy for all so far,

Julian
by 4drq » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:44 pm
Hi Julian,
I'm also a beginner in python programming, but I have some experiences with other programming languages. "Pure Data" appears to be a completely different programming approach as "Python".

A good starting point is playing with the code from texy! Once again big thanks to texy for his work!

I wrote a routine for setting the contrast for the display and then assign this function to a button (with higher or lower contrast). Then a function for changing the backlight, ..., etc.

The "font" is defined in texys program (this is a 6x8 pixel font, you can use 5x7 pixel for the characters). You can not use a ttf font - you have to declare pixel for pixel for a font. For adding a custom character to the font, take a look at http://helpfactory.wordpress.com/2012/01/09/arduino-connecting-a-nokia-5110-display-to-arduino-part3-5x7-bit-ascii-representation/ .

I have created an Open Office document with which I can set the pixel and which converts me that character as a 5-byte sequence.

If you have questions about the font, write me a private message. But all the hard work worthwhile:

Greatings from Germany,
4drq
by JulianBrooks » Tue May 14, 2013 1:55 am
Hi all / Texy,

Still wrestling with the board and could really do with some help please.

I would really appreciate if someone could post a stripped out version of the code so it only controls the switches (I only need the down switch) without any of the code that gets sent to the LCD screen?

My reverse engineering of Texy's code seems to always strip out whichever bit of code is sending the '1' from the switch and I just can't do it (it's driving me nuts), or I'm leaving in too much and it's spitting errors.

Be much appreciated,

Julian
by lebeaudj » Tue May 21, 2013 8:02 am
Hi Julian,

I am assuming that you are still planning to use the board as you mentioned in your earlier post? If this is the case I am not sure why at this point you are stripping code from the example?

From my understanding you want to use the 'down' button on the addon board to "Start" an event, such as playback of your composition? If this is the case the simplest option would be to capture the GPIO event using a short python or similar script and use this script to launch the audio. You can strip down the code but I would assume you will also be using the code to display the info you mentioned in your first post.... Stripping this code will mean you have to put it back in later.

Let me know if my premise is correct and I am more than happy to help more.

Regs,
Dan
by JulianBrooks » Tue May 21, 2013 7:20 pm
Hey Dan,

Many thanks for the offer of assistance.

Yeah, still on the same plan but just finding it all a little tricky (as well as being stupidly snowed under work-wise atm).

I've ended up with two reasonably similar python scripts (one being texy's, the other from here:
viewtopic.php?p=261343#p261343 )

The latter utilises 'from PIL import Image,ImageDraw,ImageFont'. Which works great as I can bring in my preferred font (linux-libertine) to display the text. So one of the things I'm trying to work out is how to remove all the bitmapped font out of the .py files and without the script spitting endless errors. BTW Texy contributes quite a lot to that thread so there's lots of crossover between the two .py files.

Sockets in python...
Hmm - another whole new world.
So with some pointers from fellow Pd-ers I've got a basic script that's opened up communication between Pd and Python via udp but am currently not sure of how to deal with timings and triggers in python. I can handle these things in Pd just fine but python is just a completely different mindset and one I most certainly haven't got a proper grip on as of yet.

I've had to put this down for a week or so but I need to bite the bullet and be getting on with it. I'm going to spend a few hours wrestling with the code again now (as much just to freshen myself up with it) and will report back again very soon.

Thanks for the nudge Dan.

Cheers,

Julian
by texy » Tue May 21, 2013 8:25 pm
Hi Julian,
I can post some code that just sets up the hpio's, pull-downs, and reads the switches, but as Dan has stated,
It probably won't help you in the long run ;)
Texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by JulianBrooks » Tue May 21, 2013 11:55 pm
Hey Texy,

If I could take you up on that that would be great.

I think it's a case of where I'm still not quite getting what's doing what and if you wouldn't mind breaking it down into little pieces I think that'd be really useful for me.

Ideally what I would like is to just have nothing on the screen yet but a '1' printed to the shell/console when the down button is switched.

And yes, of course, no doubt after that I'll be back again to ask how I can incorporate my hacked into 'nokiaSPI.py' script - after having spent several hours testing and wrestling with it.

All part of the fun, and I'm learning (which I like).

I'd also like to thank 4drq who sent me a code example for the switch shield. Unfortunately as I only have one switch I couldn't get out of the main screen (down, down and scroll down some more:) but that was definitely really useful to go through - thank you.

I've gone over the code for communication with Pd again and that's slowly starting to make some sense, so things are moving forwards - which is good.

My brain is very full though atm. Sleep!
nn