PiPLUS - RPi Multifunction I/O Extension Board

6 posts
by nk_smir » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:21 pm

PiPLUS - Raspberry Pi multifunction I/O extension board is now available at:
http://www.web4robot.com

PiPLUS board is designed as versatile, general-purpose data acquisition and control module and provides a direct connection to Raspberry Pi GPIO connector. The board is assembled.

Key Features
- Battery-backed Real Time Clock and Calendar
- 3.5A DC motor driver chip
- 8-bits Data Port with each pin setup as digital input or output (0..5V)
- 10-bits ADC with 4 analog channels (0..5V input voltage)
- 5-bits DAC with 0..5V output
- Four high power outputs (ULN2003 chip to control the relays, high current LEDs...)
- Four PWM outputs to control 2 DC motors or 4 LEDs dimming (0..5V signal)
- IR Remote Control input
- Two user's buttons
- AVR ATMEGA328P microcontroller with a preloaded Arduino bootloader and Arduino Shields connectors
- Direct connection the standard Arduino Shields to board
- 3V - 5V buffers for I2C, SPI and Serial interfaces
- Buffered I2C bus to the additional device connection (0..5V signals)
- Power supply with input voltage 6.5V - 14V and 5V and 3.3V regulators
- Compact form factor - board size 3.2" x 2.9" (81mm x 74mm)

PiPLUS board includes two microcontrollers: PIC microcontroller and AVR ATMEGA328P microcontroller.

The preprogrammed PIC microcontroller provides 10-bits ADC with 4 analog channels, 8-bits digital input/output port, 4 PWM outputs, digital to analog output, IR remote control input. PIC microcontroller is connected to Raspberry Pi with SPI interface as slave device and supports a simple command set to communicate with Raspberry Pi.

ATMEGA328P microcontroller includes the Arduino bootloader and works as a bridge between Raspberry Pi and Arduino. You can use the standard ARDUINO environment and graphical interface for Windows or Linux for software development and this chip programming through ISP connector or Serial interface (USB to Serial TTL converter).

ATMEGA328P is connected to Raspberry Pi with I2C and Serial interfaces (I2C or Serial interface can be disconnected from Raspberry Pi). ATMEGA328P is a slave device on I2C bus and Raspberry Pi is a master.
PiPLUS board includes 3V - 5V buffers to connect Raspberry Pi with ATMEGA328P.
ATMEGA328P uses 5V signal level.

The board includes the standard ARDUINO connectors and provides the direct connection to the ARDUINO Shields.

PiPLUS includes the latest technology motor driver with max motor current 3.5A. The board circuit provides the overcurrent protection, motor lead short to groung or supply, thermal shutdown with hysteresis, undervoltage monitoring and crossover current protection.

by TonyD » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:44 pm
wow, that's a pretty awesome looking board. How much does it cost?
Tony
by nk_smir » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:29 am
PiPLUS - B $47
Package includes:
- assembled board
- all connectors (not soldered)
- 26-pins flat cable for RPi connection

PiPLUS - A $55
Package includes:
- assembled board with soldered connectors
- 26-pins flat cable for RPi connection
by zrm » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:00 am
Does this board provide SPI slave mode?
by jaumemiralles » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:54 am
Looks like a very good job.
Let's get in touch.
Regards
by hiropro4 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:22 am
Finally got mine. Very spiffy. Built in PIC and Arduino. Still trying to figure out how to interface with the PIC (which controls the 10 bit A/D, high power outputs, and motor driver. The demo code at web4root is incomplete. Missing headers, and clearly untested. For example, the makefile uses // for comments.