Bramble Pi2 - laser engraved wooden case

15 posts
by nhslzt » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:48 pm
Hello!
I'd like to show the second version of my wooden case for the raspberry pi:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/103284715/bramble-pi2-raspberry-pi-laser-cut?ref=v1_other_1
It is laser engraved with a stunning Bramble motif both on the top and bottom sides.
Additionally the ventilation holes are the shape of the outline of the raspi logo!

Please take a look and comment!

Nick
by nhslzt » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:55 pm
A question to all that read this post:
is an opening for the GPIO cable a desired feature? Please reply (here or by pm) also if no. I'd like to know if it is something I should include as a standard or not
by walleee » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:57 pm
Not for me...not yet anyway....
by jishnu_oman » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:01 am
Hi... I am trying to place an order for the through Eztsy... but paypal is not processing... can u please check and advise......Jishnu
by mxcum167 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:04 am
nhslzt wrote:A question to all that read this post:
is an opening for the GPIO cable a desired feature? Please reply (here or by pm) also if no. I'd like to know if it is something I should include as a standard or not

It all depends on what your target market is. So as not to exclude those who want to use the GPIO then you need to include it, or do two different versions.
Martin www.chez-cummings.com
by rurwin » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:22 am
Another interesting wrinkle regarding GPIO holes; a standard IDC ribbon cable plug is taller than any other component on the board, especially with strain-relief. Even those cases which have slots may not allow the GPIO to be used.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by walleee » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:40 pm
rurwin wrote:Another interesting wrinkle regarding GPIO holes; a standard IDC ribbon cable plug is taller than any other component on the board, especially with strain-relief. Even those cases which have slots may not allow the GPIO to be used.

but you don't have to use an IDC plug do you? Im sure i've seen pictures of pi's with using just a few gpio pins and certainly didn't have an IDC plug...,
by pygmy_giant » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:04 pm
I use female 'dupont' connectors which are just plastic sleeves that slip over the pin and an have a wire connected. They are about 1cm taller than the pins.

Nice case btw - I first thought the design was a bit girly but its grown on me - would be good varnished - I'm thinking of using a wooden tea box for my robot chassis - wood is insulating and easy to work / fix to.
Ostendo ignarus addo scientia.
by nhslzt » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:25 pm
@rurwin, thx for the note about the height of a cable for the GPIO. I'll look into that.
One might not have to use an IDC plug but still it could be nice to be able to.
I'm currently working on another version of the case more geared towards those that want to do more "experimental" work with the Pi...

@pigmy_giant: yes I agree that the Bramble design might look a bit girly to some but it is for a pc called "Raspberry pi"! Not exactly a macho name either, don't you think? :D

Other laser engraved patterns are possible, although the price will vary depending on the size of the image or amount of work required.
by Erdnuckel01 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:57 pm
Girly or not, I ordered one of the second version cases and to tell the truth, I really like the design. It will be a nice case for my second Pi ;)
by pygmy_giant » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:42 pm
your case is a lovely work of art - may be you could offer a selection of designs inluding some blokey ones like a circuit board motif to attract different customers...
Ostendo ignarus addo scientia.
by nhslzt » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:04 pm
A circuit schematic is definitely a good idea! Coming up soon! Thx for the tip ;)
by Erdnuckel01 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:56 pm
Just wanted to let you know that the case arrived today.

Very good qualtiy, easy to assemble and really nice to look at - can't ask for much more for 16€...well maybe a laser cut raspberry would have been nice, but you can't have everything ;)

Good luck with your case and further revisions of it.
by JDTucker » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:56 am
nhslzt wrote:A question to all that read this post:

I really like your design, but for me, Yes. And with the case tall enough to use the IDC connector.
by nhslzt » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:23 pm
@Erdnuckel01: thx for the words of praise, happy to have happy customers :)
Unfortunately the Raspberry Pi foundation has decided to register their logo as a trademark, so I'm not allowed to put it on my products. That would make people think it is an official case, while such thing doesn't exist. http://www.raspberrypi.org/trademark-rules

@JDTucker: soon enough I'll start selling also a case with space for the cable for the GPIO pins, which will be high enough to host also an IDC connector.

The engraving for such a case will have a "circuit diagram theme" ;)