Pi-Stack®


 
36 posts   Page 1 of 2   1, 2
by kdakin » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:22 am
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:20 am
by Erdnuckel01 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:14 pm
Interesting design, I hope you don't mind answering 3 short questions.

1. So is this just a top and bottom plate or is it a whole case ?
2. How is the Pi held at place inside the Pi-Stack® ?
3. Do you ship internationally or only inside the UK and if you ship internationally how much would it cost if you sent it to germany ?

And yes I know that that were 4 questions, just cleverly disguised ;)
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:05 pm
by kdakin » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:33 am
Erdnuckel01 wrote:Interesting design, I hope you don't mind answering 3 short questions.

1. So is this just a top and bottom plate or is it a whole case ?
2. How is the Pi held at place inside the Pi-Stack® ?
3. Do you ship internationally or only inside the UK and if you ship internationally how much would it cost if you sent it to germany ?

And yes I know that that were 4 questions, just cleverly disguised ;)


1. The Pi-Stack® includes what you see plus internal mounting columns that you cannot see so easily.
(it definitely doesn't use Velcro that might damage the Raspberry Pi PCB)
2. We do ship internationally and certainly to Germany and the cost in Euros is approximately 32 EUR plus approximately 4 EUR postage.
3. The Pi-Stack® is part of a range of visually matching and mostly stackable products to be rolled out shortly. They are all sold via Ebay.com or Ebay.co.uk
Image
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:20 am
by bhoga » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:38 am
kdakin wrote:The Pi-Stack® includes what you see ...


Including the "diamonds" then? ;-)
User avatar
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:33 pm
Location: Brighton, UK
by kdakin » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:55 am
If you like, we can include the "diamonds" too
(you can keep them "forever" subject of course to the heat death of the universe [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_death_of_the_universe ] )!
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:20 am
by walleee » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:40 pm
could you take a photo demonstrating the 'internal mounting columns??'

If teh case isn't closed, how are they internal? inside the top and bottom plate? :? :?
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 6:16 pm
by kdakin » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:04 pm
Naturally!
We do not photograph the internal columns simply because they are actually designed to be as inconspicuous as possible and because we reserve the manufacturers right to make minor changes that do not effect the functioning of the enclosure. Unlike some of the products on the market we do not expect the Raspberry Pi PCB to be compromised by Velcro or other direct contact.
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:20 am
by domesday » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:55 pm
A word of advice, you may not be aware that it is a it is a criminal offence in the UK to use the registered trademark '®' symbol for a name that is not a registered trademark ? If you want to use a name as a trademark that is not registered you can use 'tm'.
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:53 pm
Location: UK
by walleee » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:55 pm
domesday wrote:A word of advice, you may not be aware that it is a it is a criminal offence in the UK to use the registered trademark '®' symbol for a name that is not a registered trademark ? If you want to use a name as a trademark that is not registered you can use 'tm'.



:lol:

Why am I not suprised.
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 6:16 pm
by kdakin » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:20 am
Is "Wallee" a protected name or can anyone use it to place deliberately mischievous remarks about products? Indeed, does the name Wallee reflect a personal inward bias or is it copied from the animated film of the same name?

You have already contributed to one thread to be suspended by the moderator on this site, do you wish to continue in this manner on another thread?.

The main criticism on the other thread seems to be that the Pi-Stack is "over engineered" and "expensive". Would you direct the same criticism at Mercedes Benz or Rolls Royce?

Our Ebay feedback more accurately reflects the value of the true product and I can say confidently that our customers do not have any "buyers regret" after they receive their fine quality product.

Shortly we will be announcing more products in the Pi-Stack range that will also be very high quality and match the appearance of the Pi-Stack closely. We source the very best materials for our products and do not compromise quality for price. You get what you pay for.
Image
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:20 am
by abishur » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:34 pm
kdakin wrote:Is "Wallee" a protected name or can anyone use it to place deliberately mischievous remarks about products? Indeed, does the name Wallee reflect a personal inward bias or is it copied from the animated film of the same name?



Actually, the protected name is Wall-E. They deliberately chose a variation they could protect, and the information doomesday provided is good advice that could save you a lot of trouble (unless you have made it a registered trademark).

Not everyone is going to want a Lexus or a Mercedes, some people are just gonna want a kia or even a beat up old car that's more duct-tape than car. ;-) Just let the comments slide, everyone's entitled to their opinion :-) (Though I think wallee's comment was not meant to be an attack on you, but a comment on the absurdity of laws)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)
User avatar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 4257
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:10 am
Location: USA
by abishur » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:49 pm
Sorry Wallee, that post was just a smidge too much. Regardless of my personal pros or cons on this particular case there's no need to drag that thread into this one. There is one bit I will preserve from your post though (apologies for sniping it so much), as they are good questions in general

...I'm still waiting on a photo showing the 'internal mounting columns'..

i'll ask again here like I did in the last thread, has anyone here actually got one that can give an independent view on it?


I will also add that for anyone who has purchased a case for sell whether it be this particular case or another case, I'd love to see consumer reviews on the various cases out there :-)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)
User avatar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 4257
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:10 am
Location: USA
by walleee » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:03 pm
That's fair enough, I guess this place should be family friendly and all.

I'll politely note that it was kdakin who mentioned the other thread, and that untill that point I had kept my posts concise, deliberately. I considered his claims yet again that my perfectly fair questions (which he is yet to answer) were mischievous, insulting when I probobly should have just considered it simply as admittance he couldn't provide a suitable answer for one reason or another;

Hence asking, and I think it's pertinant as he addressed (rather than answered) the question, "what's the secret with the Internal mounting columns?"

I wonder, once again, why have they come back and not answered questions or queries about the product, the issue of being a registered trademark in particular has been ignored in favour of a personal attack on me.
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 6:16 pm
by walleee » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:11 pm
kdakin wrote:
Our Ebay feedback more accurately reflects the value of the true product and I can say confidently that our customers do not have any "buyers regret" after they receive their fine quality product.
]


You've got feedback for ten of them on ebay, hardly phenomenal numbers, and that negative feedback (for a 'raspberry pi container') doesn't look too hot either further down the list.

In the interest of fairness i'll post the link http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI ... ckAsSeller

:roll:
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 6:16 pm
by thexman » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:15 pm
i would also like to see in detail how the Pi is held into this case, as it claims to have posts to coin a phrase but no glue marks on the perspex cover if there are indeed posts they would show on the picture you cannot make them invisible,

were curious more than anything else and like walleee, i would just like to know maybe you found the holy grail of mounting ideas. and your currently selling it on e bay thats great but give your potential customers the chance to make there minds up for them selves, with out the expense of buying one you never know it might make a 1000 people want to buy your case all feed back is positive, theres no Bad cases just different opinions on what people like.
one armed controls engineer, my grammar is bad but lets face it most keyboards don't suit a one armed man
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:18 pm
by cslowik » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:50 pm
i'm looking for a good mounting system for my pi.. this looks promising but like the others i'm not going to buy until i know how the raspi is held.
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:31 pm
by tsedlmeyer » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:50 am
I have purchased a Pi-Stack and am very happy with it. To answer everyones questions regarding how the mounting of the Pi works.

The Pi rests on the bottom of the case with the sd card slot side down. There is a series of clear acrylic posts between which the Pi is placed. Small black rubber rings are then slide down the posts. About half the ring actually contacts the Pi. I have to admit I was a little sceptical regarding this mounting system before I placed my Pi in the case but have been pleasantly surprised. It actually firmly holds the Pi in place without using any sort of adhesive.

My case came with a metal rod for lossening and tightening the top screw plugs, an extra black rubber ring, and an extra mounting pole. The build quality is excellent and it comes with clear directions for mounting the Pi.

My only reservation at this time is a concern regarding whether the moutning posts will hold up to the stress put on them by repeated removal and insertion of connections to the Pi. No specififc reason to think they won't but thought I should mention the one concern I do have.

I will grab some pictures tonight and post tomorrow.
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:07 pm
by walleee » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:53 am
So are these posts removable? (from the bottom base) i'm guessing so, if there is a spare offered?

I suppose they would really need to be, because if one broke off, and you couldn't remove the small bit left inside, you'd be left with something that wouldn't hold the pi so well...

looking forward to seeing some pictures of these poles.
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 6:16 pm
by tsedlmeyer » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:35 pm
walleee wrote:So are these posts removable? (from the bottom base) i'm guessing so, if there is a spare offered?

I suppose they would really need to be, because if one broke off, and you couldn't remove the small bit left inside, you'd be left with something that wouldn't hold the pi so well...

looking forward to seeing some pictures of these poles.


Here are links to some photos I took of the case. I didn't remove my Pi but did take the top off to get photos of the posts. Bear in mind that I am not a professional photographer and the only camera I had was on my phone.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s25viloc4ft4cjz/2012-06-28%2010.04.25-4.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jdi27b8uf2y5o5w/2012-06-28%2010.01.47.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l3xxw514ve43fe9/2012-06-28%2010.00.33-1.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pfk6by47y19qtc4/2012-06-28%2009.59.21.jpg

The last picture is the spare post and ring. The posts are removable from the bottom plate.

If you are planning to transport your Pi from place to place this might not be the best case for you but I plan to use the Pi mostly as a media center where it will stay in one place pretty much all the time. For me it makes a great case because the visual appeal of the case is important in my situation.
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:07 pm
by thexman » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:52 pm
tsedlmeyer

thanks for the pictures i see now why on there advertising they don't show the posts, or they cannot be seen with the top plate in,

if it works thats great

it is a truly original design and certainly seams as you say to hold the Pi in place no complaints there.

shame the manufacturer couldn't just show that and explain, i thank you on there behalf the great mystery is solved.
one armed controls engineer, my grammar is bad but lets face it most keyboards don't suit a one armed man
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:18 pm
by abishur » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:33 pm
Sorry for deleting the post kdakin, I know you've taken a lot of flack about this. I do allow product criticism (up to a point, I have deleted some comments on this thread for being too hostile) on this board as I feel product criticism leads to superior products, but I draw the line at repeated personal attacks on an individual . Talk about the product all you like, but do not attack one another.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)
User avatar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 4257
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:10 am
Location: USA
by kdakin » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:50 pm
tsedlmeyer wrote: "I have purchased a Pi-Stack and am very happy with it. .... The build quality is excellent and it comes with clear directions for mounting the Pi.....My only reservation at this time is a concern regarding whether the mounting posts will hold up to the stress put on them by repeated removal and insertion of connections to the Pi. No specific reason to think they won't but thought I should mention the one concern I do have"

If you read my response to Wallee below, you will see that the acrylic posts have been superseded by chrome/molybdenum posts. Not because the acrylic ones break, but simply because it makes assembly easier for us and of course they still look great! In the unlikely event that you did have any problem in the future, you can obtain the steel columns from us - as they fit in exactly the same holes in the base.
Update: My post that I have just referred to has been deleted because it is claimed it attacked an individual. The answers I gave in the deleted posts were in direct response to the numerous unfair attempts by one particular forum user to discredit the Pi-Stack product despite evidence to the contrary. I think the forum users have a right to view our legitimate response that contains valuable information (as well as pointing out the fundamental inexactitudes proferred by the forum user). If anything it should be that forum user whose comments are deleted, not ours.
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:20 am
by kdakin » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:08 pm
abishur wrote:Sorry for deleting the post kdakin, I know you've taken a lot of flack about this. I do allow product criticism (up to a point, I have deleted some comments on this thread for being too hostile) on this board as I feel product criticism leads to superior products, but I draw the line at repeated personal attacks on an individual . Talk about the product all you like, but do not attack one another.


There were many points in my reply and I am sure would be of interest to forum members. It will be totally unfair if the negative comments of one individual remain on the forum and our legitimate answers are not seen. It is extremely difficult to give answers to people who keep repeating that you have not answered their questions when you clearly have (just look back at the 2 forum threads if you don't believe me and decide whether the questions are mischievous or not). The latest mischief is suggesting that the acrylic columns might break off (without a shred of evidence)! My last post also answers the "might break off" issue raised by one forum member. I will re-submit the last post you deleted without mentioning specific forum members by name if this is more acceptable to you, so that forum members see the wider issue and decide for themselves.
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:20 am
by walleee » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:52 pm
God knows what you had wrote (I didn't even get to see it) :roll: and I can guess it was concerning my (perfectly reasonable) queries, they have afterall, been asked by other members also.

The answers I gave in the deleted posts were in direct response to the numerous unfair attempts by one particular forum user to discredit the Pi-Stack product despite evidence to the contrary.


I politely asked the question in the first instance, you didn't oblige with a picture, preferring to write the below,
We do not photograph the internal columns simply because they are actually designed to be as inconspicuous as possible and because we reserve the manufacturers right to make minor changes that do not effect the functioning of the enclosure. Unlike some of the products on the market we do not expect the Raspberry Pi PCB to be compromised by Velcro or other direct contact.


I don't consider that evidence and infact your avoidance of the (direct) question had me concerned.

For you then to completely ignore a statement concerning the legality of your marketing practises, in favour of (your first) personal attack on me, only has me more perplexed as to why you won't simply be forthcoming with info for prospective customers. Usually businesses bend over backwards to give you info about a product, however you appear reluctant to do so.

Calling for my comments to be removed is really not going to help your cause, answering the question directly, rather than avoiding them and claiming that anyone is trying to discredit the product would likely gain you more fans than personally insulting someone who simply has genuine queries about your product.

I'll admit, I have literally NO intention in buying it anymore, you have taken care of that, but I have an interest in design and manufacture, and was actually thinking maybe you guys had a really nice trick up your sleeve....

let's not forget that you are also indirectly dis-crediting other Pi products in the above quoted statement, the manufacturer has made a dignified response in the thread concerning their product, perhaps you could learn a thing or two about how to handle possibly critical comments about your product, and turn them into something somewhat re-assuring.
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 6:16 pm
by kdakin » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:49 pm
Here is my (slightly changed) response to your earlier comments that I hope will not be removed by the moderator.

"I am so pleased that an actual user has stepped into this drawn out "discussion" - brought about through a forum member claiming (amongst other things), that we had not answered his questions about the Pi-Stack product. As I said in my last thread, all the questions asked were answered - contrary to his assertions. As for answering questions about the internal columns, this question was asked on Ebay some time ago and the answer is plain to see (and was even before the member asked his question that he claimed we hadn't answered!). This member is, as everyone else, at liberty to look at the Ebay feedback - which is 96.9% positive - before making pronouncements.

[We have indeed received one totally unfair negative feedback for an earlier, product that the customer claimed never arrived (maybe his house move at the time had something to do with it!) - critics always add at least one true or partially true element to make it look as though they are right! The customer received an immediate offer of a full refund if the item eventually arrived - which he eventually accepted (although refused to amend his bad feedback). This product had no connection with the Pi-Stack in any case. The Pi-Stack itself should be judged by the fantastic feedback of its customers. The quantity of feedback does not in any way reflect the quantity actually sold since many people do not provide Ebay feedback. The Pi-Stack is also on sale elsewhere.]

Here is a link to our Ebay feedback items
http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/kdakin3420.
You will see one recent "neutral" comment - from a buyer from France - who appears to have ordered the wrong model, despite the advert indicating that the illustration showed a different model (we immediately offered to replace it with the correct model if he returns it, of course ).

Getting back to the mounting, we reserve the manufacturers right to change the mounting to continuously improve the design. Early designs used small screws; later designs use acrylic columns that have proved very satisfactory so far and are deliberately "hard to see". To answer the specific question about the columns being removable - yes they are. We have always supplied a spare acrylic column with the item and also a spare "O" ring just in case the customer misplaces one.

We have already been accused of having an "over engineered" product. We can now divulge that we have now changed the design to incorporate molybdenum/chrome steel columns that are "virtually indestructible" (certainly in this application !). This is not because we have had any problems with the acrylic columns - that look brilliant and work well - but simply because it makes assembly a little easier, despite some additional cost to us.

No doubt some forum users might claim that the (stainless) steel will rust under extremely arduous climatic conditions that would challenge a battleship, let alone an electronic item like the Raspberry Pi. Maybe the future criticism will simply be that it is even more "over engineered" - so be it !

I also look forward to the above mentioned Ebay customers photographs and any further comments from real customers, rather than purely idle speculation from critics who have not even seen the item. The product speaks for itself and soon we will release a collection of matching Pi-Stack products that will look good alongside it on your Raspberry Pi desktop. Here is another look at our product for those who have forgotten what the thread is about after such a long time reading this !
Image
Update:
I have now seen the customers photographs and latest comments and I am quite happy that the negative comments might now stop.
The "great mystery" (that never was) was actually answered on Ebay on 30th May - I have just checked to make sure."


The product will continually evolve and already has. We devised a novel and effective method of mounting the Raspberry Pi that avoided Velcro and other unsuitable mounting methods (that others naturally wanted to discover). We have already moved on! That is not to say that there is anything wrong with the previous mounting method(s), it's just different.
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:20 am