Solarbotics to sell Acrylic Raspberry Pi enclosure

39 posts   Page 2 of 2   1, 2
by skater_j10 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:19 am
You bet we should have the newest revision posted up there http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:18358 along with quick build instructions in the next few days.
by beardy » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:04 pm
SN wrote:Hmmm... your pi seems to have a giant white CE on the board right where there should be a Build Week printed (amongst other bits)

The Farnell-made boards have a CE mark there, whereas the RS boards have their own markings. It's a handy way of telling them apart, I find.
by skater_j10 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:58 pm
YAY! It's finally online! The Raspberry SAFE from Solarbotics is now for sale here:

http://www.solarbotics.com/product/60103/

A few tweaks that were done since the last post:

-Increased the size back to the way it originated in order to actually fit a GPIO Ribbon cable
-Raspberry Pi board is pretty much locked in place when a ribbon cable is attached to the GPIO header
-Front plate designed to fit against the PCB with the Ethernet port holding the board in place
-Now has compatible top lid and base plate with our Arduino/Freeduino enclosure http://www.solarbotics.com/product/60100/
-All enclosure accessories moving forward will be both SAFE and Raspberry SAFE compatible (including the VESA mount) created a new 3 hole standard

Hope you enjoy your new SAFE house for your Raspberry Pi! (Sorry I had to) :)

by BarrieG14 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:10 am
SN wrote:
skater_j10 wrote:And even more good news, I got my personal Raspberry Pi board today! YAY! http://instagr.am/p/LivCoBGMDX/

Hmmm... your pi seems to have a giant white CE on the board right where there should be a Build Week printed (amongst other bits)

Mine also has the CE on the board in the same place!
by nhslzt » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:41 pm
I'd also be interested in the new files!
by ElectroPulse » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:15 pm
Very nice! I am considering making an order for one of these... Great price! A couple of quick questions though:
skater_j10 wrote:-Raspberry Pi board is pretty much locked in place when a ribbon cable is attached to the GPIO header

So... if i don't have a ribbon cable attached, can the Pi move? (if so, perhaps you could offer some sort of clear block that would fit onto the GPIO header?)

Also, just want to make sure, does the new version include a VESA mount?
by jerhay » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:56 am
Brilliant case, but I was hoping to find a case that would allow me to connect the pins of the GPIO port and others, so it would need a few holes in the top plate.

As soon as there is such case available, I will order one!
by skater_j10 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:44 pm
The Solarbotics VESA Mount for the Raspberry SAFE (http://www.solarbotics.com/product/60103/) is finally released!

Image Image

URL: http://www.solarbotics.com/product/60095/

Sorry all that it took so long to get this product released, you know summer has a crazy way of keeping a company busy. Maker Faires, vacations, BBQs, etc. seem to keep on getting in the way of progress, but i guess that's sometimes a necessary evil sometimes and an enjoyable one at that. Well enough of my ramblings, without further ado here are the details of the new SAFE VESA mount by Solarbotics:

Features:

Cutouts for using velcro straps or zip-ties to hold down cables
    12mm long bolts available to accommodate different styles of monitors
    100x100mm and 75x75mm (from center-to-center) standard VESA hole spacing. Note: 75x75mm holes are quite snug against the SAFE housing
    6 hole pattern used to conform to the mounting options of either the regular or Raspberry flavours of SAFE
    OSHW (Open Source Hardware) Kit

Kit inlcudes:

4 - Acrylic Spacers
    4 - M4 x 12mm bolts
    1 - Acrylic VESA Mount

Thanks for your patience!
by skater_j10 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:46 pm
ElectroPulse wrote:So... if i don't have a ribbon cable attached, can the Pi move? (if so, perhaps you could offer some sort of clear block that would fit onto the GPIO header?)

We solved this issue by using a tiny piece of acrylic that we like to call the "Tetris clip" :)
by skater_j10 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:48 pm
jerhay wrote:Brilliant case, but I was hoping to find a case that would allow me to connect the pins of the GPIO port and others, so it would need a few holes in the top plate.

So the Raspberry SAFE has a cutout just below the lid at the back of the enclosure to run either a ribbon cable or jumper cables from the GPIO header, hope that helps :D
by cyrakuse » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:16 am
How is it possible to have it in blue ?
by skater_j10 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:51 am
cyrakuse wrote:How is it possible to have it in blue ?

At the moment Solarbotics is out of transparent blue acrylic but good news is that we'll be back in stock very soon!
by danpeirce » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:38 am
Purchased the Solarbotics Raspberry Safe enclosure. Very nice! The "Tetris Clip" does hold the Raspberry Pi in place. :D

I went for the light blue version so the Raspberry Pi would be as visible as possible. Nice to clearly see the board inside and the logo on the board.

There appears to be enough openings to let heat out.

Set up for headless operation and also using the Solarbotics TTLyFTDI USB-to-TTL Cable Adapter to connect to PIC projects.

by danpeirce » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:17 pm
I am very happy with this sturdy case.

Now I have also tried a pi sandwich from Bud industries which has turned out to be a disappointment. It has internal tab supports that seem likely to break if one is not extremely careful with cables. The Solerbotics Raspberry Safe is far more rugged and a better suited for use with students but it does take more effort to put together initially.