My AgfaRPi case

4 posts
by timgiles » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:13 am
Several weeks ago I went looking in a flea market for a suitable case for what I hope will be first of many RPi. My wonderful partner Camilla saw this camera case, and after a bit of time of wondering if I could fit the board in, I bought it for 6 GBP (in sweden - 60kr)

Agfa box camera

So far I have taken the mechanism out but kept the outside of the box as it is.

My plan is to make a XMBC media streamer, with forward facing Skype cam. So inside the box I will have:

RPi with a Toshiba 8Gb FlashAir card

DLink 7 port USB hub (DUB-H7) - comes with a high quality 3A 5V PSU

Sweex Bluetooth 3 class 1 micro adapter (I have several others)

Edimax Wireless N micro adapter (again, I have a few alternatives)

Kingston 19 in 1 Card reader

92Gb OCZ SSD connected via USB

Logitech C525 HD webcam

1 spare USB header

So the central lense will have the HD webcam behind it (It is a plain glass lense in the Agfa - so a bit of polishing and the image should not be effected). The two micro adapters will be placed on top of the case near the front, just poking out of the case work. The Toshiba Flashair card will come out of the front of the camera case, right at the bottom, to enable a reasonable wireless performance. Finally the card reader will be accessible from the top or back of the case (unsure yet where is best).

I hope to end up with the camera still looking like the camera. Completely silent operation and enabling me to fire up Skype to skype back with the UK.

BTW - as mentioned above. There are a lot of question marks over which wireless dongles and BT dongles will work from the outset, so I will test all I have and post results to the wiki.

Thats the plan. What do you think?

PS. The Flashair is there as a way to download torrented bits without using the network port on the RPi. So I hope to have a system where my Synology NAS sees a new file once complete, grabs it over the Flashairs wireless link and can then delete it.
by tufty » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:26 pm
I don"t believe skype has an ARM11 build. Gizmo maybe.
by timgiles » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:34 am
Oh pants! Thanks for the heads up.

Well, will still be a talking point and at least replace the crapotastic Xtreamer useless box I have :-)
by JeremyF » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:17 pm
...however, Pidgin has an ARM build along with a Skype plugin, last I heard.
{sig} Setup: Original version Raspberry Pi (B, rev1, 256MB), Dell 2001FP monitor (1600x1200), 8GB Class 4 SD Card with Raspbian and XBMC, DD-WRT wireless bridge