VESA mount for the Raspberry SAFE

9 posts
by skater_j10 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:42 pm
I know a lot of this stuff can get lost in translation if it doesn't have the proper heading so I figured I'd make this it's own post as I've had a bunch of people express interest in a VESA mount for their Raspberry Pi.

The Solarbotics VESA Mount for the Raspberry SAFE (http://www.solarbotics.com/product/60103/) is finally released! All you need to do is remove the base from the Raspberry SAFE and add the VESA mount instead.

ImageImage

URL: http://www.solarbotics.com/product/60095/

Larger photos can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarbotics/

Sorry all that it took so long to get this product released, you know summer has a crazy way of keeping a company busy. Maker Faires, vacations, BBQs, etc. seem to keep on getting in the way of progress, but i guess that's sometimes a necessary evil sometimes and an enjoyable one at that. Well enough of my ramblings, without further ado here are the details of the new SAFE VESA mount by Solarbotics:

Features:

Cutouts for using velcro straps or zip-ties to hold down cables
12mm long bolts available to accommodate different styles of monitors
100x100mm and 75x75mm (from center-to-center) standard VESA hole spacing. Note: 75x75mm holes are quite snug against the SAFE housing
Spacers for allowing room for tie-downs and/or for shallow thread depths
6 hole pattern used to conform to the mounting options of either the regular or Raspberry flavours of SAFE
OSHW (Open Source Hardware) Kit, files available under documentation tab

Kit inlcudes:

4 - Acrylic Spacers
4 - M4 x 12mm bolts
1 - Acrylic VESA Mount

Thanks for your patience, and keep us in mind as we'll be doing more custom baseplates and lids in the future! These will give you more options for attaching your Raspberry Pi Board (and Arduinos) to other areas around the home and workplace as well as attaching different accessories to it!
by neonkoala » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:50 pm
Awesome case! Any plans for bigger VESA sizes? Specifically VESA 100 x 200? A lot of TVs use these larger variations.
by skater_j10 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:19 am
neonkoala wrote:Awesome case! Any plans for bigger VESA sizes? Specifically VESA 100 x 200? A lot of TVs use these larger variations.

Thanks! And Sorry Neonkoala, no plans for bigger sizes yet but the design is scalable so I don't see why not. Just need demand for it :). I suggest emailing sales@solarbotics.com and pestering them about it :mrgreen:
by DanielS » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:27 am
Awesome case and idea! Thanks!
Add my Bit Torrent Tracker to your Raspberry Pi torrents, or feel free to use it to host your own raspi images!
udp://twig.gs:6969
It's an open tracker running on the Raspberry Pi, Twig.gs branch out from a single point of failure!
by MadHorseman » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:23 am
I like the idea - but as my main TV is wall-mounted and uses the VESA holes, any chance of an offset baseplate that can be held by the TV VESA bolts with the Raspi off to one side (or on top etc...). Nice case!!
by Mortimer » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:36 am
I like the idea of Vesa mounts, but the one thing that irritates me a little is that no one seems to think solutions for monitors where the the vesa mount is used to attached the monitor's stand. I have just looked around our labs and offices and noted a mixture of Samsung, HP, NEC and LG monitors of various shapes and sizes. Absolutely none of them could be used with this sort of product because the because mount is occupied by the monitor's stand.

Is it me or does this seem to limit its market and appeal somewhat?
by cyrakuse » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:54 am
Mortimer wrote:I like the idea of Vesa mounts, but the one thing that irritates me a little is that no one seems to think solutions for monitors where the the vesa mount is used to attached the monitor's stand. I have just looked around our labs and offices and noted a mixture of Samsung, HP, NEC and LG monitors of various shapes and sizes. Absolutely none of them could be used with this sort of product because the because mount is occupied by the monitor's stand.

Is it me or does this seem to limit its market and appeal somewhat?

Here is a solution :
Make a double vesa mount. The idea is to create a vesa mount that is double height
the vesa mount come between the TV and the monitor's stand and exceed on the bottom to mount the pi on it.
by Mortimer » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:44 am
That sounds like the sort of thing I would think off. A flat plate with VESA spaced holes at one end, that would fit between the monitors stand and VESA mount. The other end of the plate has four tapped standoffs, that would allow a VESA mount device to be fixed off to one side.

No one produces such a thing that I have found. I had the same discussion with the manufacturers of the Fit-PC2i. They pooh-poohed my idea and banned me from their forums for my trouble. Ho hum!
by skater_j10 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:50 pm
We had a few customers mention to us that they would like a wider VESA mount for their larger flat screen TVs so the Solarbotics wide VESA Mount for the Raspberry SAFE (http://www.solarbotics.com/product/60103/) was created! We kept all of the same features and price as the regular SAFE VESA mount but added some width. All you need to do is remove the base from the Raspberry SAFE and add the wide VESA mount instead.

URL: http://www.solarbotics.com/product/60096/

Features:

Cutouts for using velcro straps or zip-ties to hold down cables
12mm long bolts available to accommodate different styles of monitors
200x100mm, 100x100mm, and 75x75mm (from center-to-center) standard VESA hole spacing. Note: 75x75mm holes are quite snug against the SAFE housing
Spacers for allowing room for tie-downs and/or for shallow thread depths
6 hole pattern used to conform to the mounting options of either the regular or Raspberry flavours of SAFE
OSHW (Open Source Hardware) Kit

Kit inlcudes:

4 - Acrylic Spacers
4 - M4 x 12mm bolts
1 - Acrylic VESA Mount

Thanks for your time, and please let us know if you'd like to see any other accessories or mounts as we may just make them happen.