Pibow (a colourful case for your Raspberry Pi)

123 posts   Page 4 of 5   1, 2, 3, 4, 5
by Mortimer » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:28 pm
Are the makers of the PiBow getting the hint yet? It sounds like the hole for the power plug is too small, except for a few selected power supply options.
by Ovek » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:07 pm
Got my Pibow this morning, it a nice case my only real problem with it is that on the orange layer there is a wall part (near the GPIO) that is cut way to thin. The wall on mine came out of the box bent inward, I didn't really want to try and bend it back (not that I would have got it straight anyway!).

I needn't have worried it snapped anyway :( I probably put my thumb in the wrong place when picking it up.

:cry:
by jojopi » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:02 pm
I had to a scalpel a little bit off the green layer to get it flush onto the blue — it was propping up awkwardly on the corners of D1 and IC1.

I see that the internal design has changed a bit since the prototype pictures, and the lan chip now has some access to the ventilation holes, instead of being completely enclosed.

If anyone is wondering about the recessed ethernet socket, as I was, the release tab on a typical 8p8c plug sticks out just far enough to be operated without a spudger. But snagless boots of the enclosed type will foul.

Pibow covers up the "10M" silkscreen on the SPD led, but then sadly reproduces it verbatim on the top layer, instead of changing it to something more accurate, like "100". Strange that it now covers only the two led silkscreens instead of all of them. Also, I wonder why the top layer etching is not on the inside, like the bottom layer is.

Splitting PIMO RONI onto two lines is very effective at making it look less like PI MORON I.
by johnlane » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:21 pm
Got my case, 2 of 5 hearts. What's that... 7th batch ?
Very nice case. Power plug was a squeeze. I'm using blackberry charger and it fitted though.
In case I order more in future, +1 me for choice of single colour.
Raspberry Pi Utilities: https://github.com/johnlane/rpi-utils
For Raspberry Pi and Arch Linux
by Taysider » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:24 pm
Having just taken delivery of a Pibow case I have some initial comments:
Looks great, assembly is simplicity itself even to the labeling of each layer to assist the colourblind or the rainbow challenged (ok its not quite a perfect rainbow but colourful enough to possibly expose the makers to the wrath of Apple's legal dept. A nice touch is the inclusion of a small acrylic "spanner" to help tighten the nylon nuts.
Ok, the down side, main problem I encountered was once put together there was not enough clearance around the USB power socket to get any of three different USB power plugs I had available connected. The problem being the width and depth of plastic on the shoulders of the USB plugs. In the end I used a swiss army knife to "whittle" the plastic of the plug end down to a point where it fitted, snuggly! Only experienced electronics whittlers should attempt this and then only when an adequate supply of elastoplast is to hand (or finger!). All other connections had sufficient clearance although I think the ribbon cable attachement is no where near flexible enough for someone like myself who prefers individual wires to each pin. I will get on a bandsaw tomorrow and cut away part of the top to create access to the GPIO pins. Ribbon cable users may wish to comment further on this.
The second area of concern is the very pretty but very restrictive internal "walls". These may or may not make the connection of camera and other peripheral connectors, if not impossible, certainly difficult. One of the walls bridges the JTAG connector completely obscuring at least one pin.
Lastly, the internal walling may cause a restricted air flow which and I again say might result in heat build up issues. The base layer and top layers of the case do have ventilation holes drilled in them but given the overall structure having more bulkheads than the Titanic these may keep water out but sadly heat in.
In conclusion, I like its looks, its ease of assembly and its robustness but is it an everyday working solution to the problem of a case for the classroom Rpi, as a teacher I'd say needs some refinement/redesign to be a total winner.
by Taysider » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:19 pm
thexman wrote:the fact it doesn't ship with any rubber feet is a little poor considering other cases available do come with rubber feet stopping the Pi from slipping around and causing damage to surface case or Pi.

Simple solution do what I did reverse the direction that the bolts are threaded through the plastic: push bolts through the layers from the base rather than from the top as shown on the instruction sheet. The result is better than any stick on feet and you get that additional advantage that to get inside you dont have to totally disassemble the structure.
by cashaw » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:54 pm
I received mine yesterday. My other Pi is in an Adafruit case which looks good but doesn't seem to hold the Pi firmly. The Pibow case feels so much more solid than the Adafruit.

My only complaint about the Pibow case (which is completely my fault!) is when I ripped open the package at my front door, the little pack containing the nylon screws fell out without my knowing.. I spent the next couple of hours sulking that Pibow had forgotten to pack the screws before finding the small bag on my doorstep whilst stepping out the next morning. Pilbow +1 Cashaw - 0

But what is that diamond piece of perspex supposed to do ? I thought it maybe was a spacer but could not see what it should fit, there was no mention of it in the instructions..
by Montala » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:21 pm
cashaw wrote:But what is that diamond piece of perspex supposed to do ? I thought it maybe was a spacer but could not see what it should fit, there was no mention of it in the instructions..

It is a 'spanner' for tightening up the nuts!

Just don't overdo it though! ;)
by cashaw » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:50 pm
Arr.....I see.....

Thanks ! I did them finger tight as I guessed they would not survive much tightening.
by jimjam89 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:28 am
Got mine the other week, I think it looks amazing but, like a few other people, I found my power cable wouldn't fit! I ended up completely removing the plastic shielding around the micro usb connector and replacing it with some heat shrink. Appart from that I think the Pibow is the best case you can get at the moment!
by Gergmchairy » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:53 am
Hi All,

Received my 2 pibow cases this morning - having looked at the design I figured that I could omit one top panel and one bottom panel and then stack my two pi in one unit...

I'm very pleased to say it works (I still have to get longer screws tho)
pibow2.JPG
pibow2.JPG (17.24 KiB) Viewed 1931 times

Regards to all

Greg
by EdwinJ85 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:17 am
Mine arrived today, it looks so pretty! Just wondering, where will camera cables go in the long run? I can see where you can put a ribbon cable but not anything else.
Getting doom to run is my "Hello World".
by XtR » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:47 pm
I received mine today too! Great case! Nice design! Superb idea! ;)
by Frida » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:49 pm
Hello
I received yesterday my package, but it is just for trash.
So it was the £ 15 wasted.

Do not buy it because it is too fragile.

sincerely,
Frida
Attachments
2012-09-07 15.56.49-1.jpg
2012-09-07 15.56.49-1.jpg (37.12 KiB) Viewed 1775 times
by guru » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:59 pm
Hey Frida,

Get in touch with support@pimoroni.com and we'll sort you out with a non-broken one.

The broken bits are also useful for making modern art, so not a complete waste.

- Paul.
by cave » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:13 am
I am using my Pi with a Pibow case now, got it yesterday, shopped at 25th of august.

and i am using a Micro USB cable from my TP-Link WR703n microsized Wi-Fi Router.
It is as big as the hole from the case and fits perfectly.
And the cable has a very good performance and is my best cable here at home, compared to 4-5 other cables laying around.

The router is now using some cheap 1$ china export cable, because it is only needing 140-100mA and can be powered with 4-5V without problems.
Check it, 22$ incl. shipping, 400MHz ARM, OpenWrt Linux running flawlessly, USB, WiFi, ethernet.

I am using it for Wireless bridging to my Pi, because the USB-WiFi sticks are not working really well.
Can be powered with the PI USB Hub ;) as an external WIFI-Ethernet
http://cavebeat.blogspot.co.at
by thexman » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:52 pm
cave wrote:
Check it, 22$ incl. shipping, 400MHz ARM, OpenWrt Linux running flawlessly, USB, WiFi, ethernet.

I am using it for Wireless bridging to my Pi, because the USB-WiFi sticks are not working really well.
Can be powered with the PI USB Hub ;) as an external WIFI-Ethernet

post a link then sounds a worth while punt with me credit card.
one armed controls engineer, my grammar is bad but lets face it most keyboards don't suit a one armed man
by RaTTuS » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:55 am
Excellent - mine arrived and is built and works great - even fits round the heatsinks o/
:D
1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX - Prosliver FTW
"That's not right, the badgers have moved the goalposts."
by michaelp » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:08 am
I've got mine, and it is brilliant. I've fitted in a couple of heatsinks in OK, and CPU runs about 49 degrees C.
I did have some slight fit issues initially, but their aftersales support was just unbelieveably good. :D
It probably is true that the thin internal struts are quite fragile, but this is not an issue at all once it has arrived safely and is assembled. Any problems they sorted out very quickly.
by pibow » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:20 pm
michaelp wrote:I've got mine, and it is brilliant. [snip] but their aftersales support was just unbelieveably good. :D

Hey Michael, glad you like it! :)
by CrystalDave » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:28 pm
I just got my Pibow, and it's absolutely gorgeous (and fits my Pi like a glove), however I have one question: Even after peeling the paper off the transparent layers, my screws are still sitting flush with the surface of the Pibow, making it impossible to attach the nuts and finish securing the Pibow. Is there a way to fix this? Each of the layers are currently flush with eachother.
by pibow » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:59 am
CrystalDave wrote:I just got my Pibow, and it's absolutely gorgeous (and fits my Pi like a glove), however I have one question: Even after peeling the paper off the transparent layers, my screws are still sitting flush with the surface of the Pibow, making it impossible to attach the nuts and finish securing the Pibow. Is there a way to fix this? Each of the layers are currently flush with eachother.

Hi Dave, can you send me a photo of the Pibow stacked up showing the bolt going through the layers and how much is exposed at the other side please? (support@pimoroni.com)
by pibow » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:10 am
pibow wrote:
CrystalDave wrote:I just got my Pibow, and it's absolutely gorgeous (and fits my Pi like a glove), however I have one question: Even after peeling the paper off the transparent layers, my screws are still sitting flush with the surface of the Pibow, making it impossible to attach the nuts and finish securing the Pibow. Is there a way to fix this? Each of the layers are currently flush with eachother.

Hi Dave, can you send me a photo of the Pibow stacked up showing the bolt going through the layers and how much is exposed at the other side please? (support@pimoroni.com)

Also you mention "peeling the paper off the transparent layers". You do need to peel the protective film off all nine layers. Just in case you missed that!
by CrystalDave » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:41 am
pibow wrote:Also you mention "peeling the paper off the transparent layers". You do need to peel the protective film off all nine layers. Just in case you missed that!

That ended up being it. Somehow I missed that there were protective films on each layer, and that ended up making all the difference between the screws being flush and them having enough room to attach the nuts. I feel a bit foolish at that, and am slightly amazed at the tolerances at work here.

Now my Pi is immaculately contained. Thanks.
by pibow » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:49 am
CrystalDave wrote:
pibow wrote:Also you mention "peeling the paper off the transparent layers". You do need to peel the protective film off all nine layers. Just in case you missed that!

That ended up being it. Somehow I missed that there were protective films on each layer, and that ended up making all the difference between the screws being flush and them having enough room to attach the nuts. I feel a bit foolish at that, and am slightly amazed at the tolerances at work here.

Now my Pi is immaculately contained. Thanks.

Hey, you aren't the first, and you definitely won't be the last - glad that sorted it out for you! :)