Portland, Oregon

24 posts
by Chris Goodwin » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:06 pm
Any Pi folk in Portland?
by JeffB42 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:50 pm
Hi Chris,

I live in Portland (well, Tigard, really). I'm just starting to get into the Raspberry Pi. Prior to this, I've been working on some projects using Arduinos.

Are there and Raspberry Pi user groups in our area?

Jeff
by Blars » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:10 pm
I'm spending the summer near government camp, oregon working in a campground. I've booted my pi but not done much with it yet. I hope to get my network problems fixed soon so I won't need to drive 30 miles for my internet fix.
by teknoteacher » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:59 pm
Hi. I have been helping people set up #RaspberryJam groups.
I was contacted by Michael Lunzer at Oregon University who wants to setup a group there.

Can I ask you to please contribute to the planning document here...
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EEXu5jC_9ufYVpSNC8p13qDFIMYu0AS3fs3TDA30L78/edit

Alan
Alan O'Donohoe @teknoteacher http://about.me/AlanODonohoe
RaspberryJam http://raspberryjam.org.uk/ TeachComputing http://teachcomputing.wordpress.com/
by Wizkid32 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:16 am
Gresham! While I don't actually have a pie (besides the apple one I just baked :D ) I would love to attend!
by danmill1 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:55 pm
Great to see that there is a group nearby. Currently I'm standing by until I can get my hands on my Pis, which are still a few weeks out. Myself and a few others would even be willing to make the trip to Eugene to attend the Jam.
by jessepdx » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:26 pm
i just ordered my PI.

please include me in announcements for local Jam
by DarkStarPDX » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:34 pm
I've added my contact info to the document. A big Oregon Raspberry Jam would be awesome!

I'll be posting Portland area meetups via an Eventbrite and Twitter feed I created.

http://sfrj.eventbrite.com/
@SFRaspberryJam

It will probably end up being a weekly or bi-weekly informal gathering in the Beaverton and Hillsboro areas. Wednesday's are most likely (especially in the busy summer) and probably between about 6:30 and 9pm.

I know a few restaurants that have conference rooms, HDTVs, and free wifi, but I'll want to make sure I can get a fairly full room before I start booking those. (La Bella Vita in Hillsboro, Village Inn in Beaverton, and The Buffalo Gap in Portland)
--Chris ^_^
by Paul Kane » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:11 pm
I just purchased a "B" model today for my son and I.

Please include me in any announcements about a local Jam.

Thanks!!
by DarkStarPDX » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:55 pm
Quick update, it was suggested that we change the name of the group, so we're now PDX Raspberry Jam. The links are updated below.
DarkStarPDX wrote:I've added my contact info to the document. A big Oregon Raspberry Jam would be awesome!

I'll be posting Portland area meetups via an Eventbrite and Twitter feed I created.

http://pdxrj.eventbrite.com/
@PDXRaspberryJam

It will probably end up being a weekly or bi-weekly informal gathering in the Beaverton and Hillsboro areas. Wednesday's are most likely (especially in the busy summer) and probably between about 6:30 and 9pm.

I know a few restaurants that have conference rooms, HDTVs, and free wifi, but I'll want to make sure I can get a fairly full room before I start booking those. (La Bella Vita in Hillsboro, Village Inn in Beaverton, and The Buffalo Gap in Portland)
--Chris ^_^
by michaellunzer » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:06 am
Hey everyone!

I'm glad there is interest already showing up. The first raspberry jam in Eugene will be October 18th. It seems far away, but school starts late this year so I don't have access to the facilities before then. If there is enough interest I would like to make this a reoccurring event, at least monthly.

I am the president of the eBiz ("electronic" Business) club and we have weekly meetings. Our first projects will be involving the Pi. If you are interested in helping out, we would love to have you come to those meetings. Talk to me on Oct. 18th or send me a PM to find out more details on that.

Here is the eventbrite: http://eugeneraspberryjam.eventbrite.com/

Please register so we can get a headcount. Also, it is a FREE event, but donations would be greatly appreciated to help my club pay for our projects. :D
by bryanpaxson » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:51 am
I've had my RPI for about a month. Have successfully got it going with the Debian distro and the Raspbmc distro on two different SD cards. So far, I'm pleased with the results. I am a Linux rookie and I'm looking for newby help and assistance. I'm in Beaverton. My wife, a fourth grade teacher is interested in introducing a RPI to her class. I would definitely be interested in participating in any Raspberry Jams. Especially in the local area.

Bryan
by generw » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:08 pm
Hello. I just received a RPi and have put my name on the list for a Gertboard. I would be very interested in hearing about any RPi events in the Portland area so please add me to any mailing lists. I'm sorry that I missed the first Raspberry Jam -- has another one been scheduled? Thanks.
by emcsquirreled » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:11 pm
I am in the Beaverton / Portland area, and am using my Pi (or at least am trying to use my Pi) as a robotic controller running a custom, bare metal OS. What sort of stuff do these meetings contain? I might just drop by some time... :)
Linux -- The operating system with a CLUE (Command Line User Environment)
--
FTC Team 4508
E=MC Squirreled
emcsquirreled.github.com
by DarkStarPDX » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:18 pm
Any news on how the Eugene Jam went?
--Chris ^_^
by Requient » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:30 am
I'm just making it around to start work on my Pi projects. I'm in the Salem area, but commute to Portland for work. I'll keep an eye out for the PDX Jam events, but please include me on any future meetings etc.
by mind-blight » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:18 am
New Eugene Pi-person here. I'd love to join any future Raspberry Jams in Eugene. How did the last one go?
by Wizkid32 » Sun May 12, 2013 7:22 am
I concur. Sadly missed the first one. Any plans for another/how did the last one go?
by holdenweb » Thu May 16, 2013 2:02 pm
Well hello, everyone. I am fairly heavily involved with Raspberry Pi, being a Python user of many years standing as well as someone with an interest in hardware. My medium-term project is to put together a teaching lab, based on Raspberry Pi hardware, which can be shipped around. First target is Africa, but I am thinking that there might also be interest from school districts in the USA.

So if anyone is interested in getting a Portland-based Raspberry Jam together I would certainly be prepared to invest a little time. It would be a shame to see this initiative fail.

regards
Steve
by Electronhaze » Sun May 19, 2013 6:59 am
I am interested in getting together with some other Raspberry Pi users and see what new stuff we can create, learn or help with existing projects (Holdenweb). The company I work for, Burnside Digital, is moving to our new downtown Portland location in about 2 weeks and we have a nice space to host events in the evenings or weekends. If your interested let me know and maybe we can get something regular going.
by pidadPDX » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:21 pm
Any PDX pi users aware of local Portland, OR area schools or school districts that have started using pi in the classroom?
by Mearrin69 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:39 am
Hi neighbors,
I'm just across the river from Portland, in Vancouver. I doubt there's much going on this side of the river so I'm going to keep an eye out for groups in Portland. Just got my Pi and eventually plan to use it in my hexapod robot project. Here's my project blog http://fredericahandrake.blogspot.com/ if anyone's interested.
M
by tech-mech » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:08 pm
Hi I am in the Gateway area of Portland.

Hey Mearrin69 have you looked at a Parallax Propeller Project board (<$23). You can now program it on the RPi. It might make your project simpler as it could deal with all your servos with little effort. Use C, C++, or Spin. Check out the object exchange for Spin servo drivers. Check out Learn Parallax for programing examples even for the Arduino. There are several old and a couple new threads on their forum to control a robot from a tablet (Apple or Android) using both Bluetooth and WiFi. I favor Bluetooth but WiFi looks like the way they are going.

Dale
by arloguay » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:46 pm
Few of the links above work for me, could someone post updated gathering info? I think I've seen some mention of RPi jams, or gatherings, but don't recall where. Thanks!!