ScotchPi

37 posts   Page 1 of 2   1, 2
by meepmeep » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:49 pm
I'm Glasgow-based, but we could do a Scottish user group in either of the cities?

Post if interested or have ideas!
by emg » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:03 pm
That would be Brechin City then?
by xtramural » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:10 pm
meepmeep wrote:I'm Glasgow-based, but we could do a Scottish user group in either of the cities?

Post if interested or have ideas!

I work in Glasgow so would be happy to help arrange a user group over in the west!
by meepmeep » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:59 pm
Well, we can start small :)
by TheTap » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:17 pm
There are some of us in Edinburgh, according to rastrack.ryanteck.org.uk
by rasbeer » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:11 pm
& I was expecting a Pi case made of sausage meat and breadcrumbs...
by meepmeep » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:02 pm
I was thinking more mutton and pastry.
by Mortimer » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:07 pm
Definitely mutton and pastry, and you have to have the top filled with gravy!

Ah! Memories of lunchtime whilst working at the shipyard in Scotstoun.
by cmacleod » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:46 pm
Hi,

I'd be interested too! I'm based in Hamilton. So, Glasgow would be my preference but I'd equally do anywhere within easy-ish travelling distance.

What would be the agenda/format/venue/speakers/etc for a ScottishPiFest meating?

Regards,

Colin

Ps (yes, I can spell and deliberately made the above mistake) Although in reality, I'd probably prefer to drop the ScotchPi connotations.
by samgray111 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:13 pm
I would also be interested in coming along if this is organised, not a huge amount to contribute but very interested in the Pi and would love to see what everyone else is doing, I'm based in Dundee so it doesn't make a huge difference to me if its Glasgow or Edinburgh.

Sam
by Benny Blanco » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:28 pm
Hello, another Glasgow based RPi user (just down the road from Hamilton) and would be interested in tagging along if a meet was organised.
by John Coleman » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:25 am
If this happened I guess I missed it. If it still might happen in the future I'd be interested to share experience. I'm based in Glasgow - check out my RPi hosted blog at http://dalriada84epa.plus.com/rpi.
by tryforsure » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:40 pm
hey,
I'm new here just recieved my Pi and I would also be intrested in some form of event,
I'm based in Culross which is half way between Edinburgh and Glasgow.

I hope something is on the cards.
Cheers
Dazbo
by fastkab » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:56 pm
Im in glasgow , will certainly attempt to be at any event

paul
by c.cam108 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:02 pm
I'm in East Kilbride, so I'd definitely be interested in a meetup in Glasgow of some sorts.

I probably wouldn't have much to contribute/show off but I would like to see what others are doing!

Colin C
by Dwiea » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:46 pm
I'm based in Glasgow as well so if any meeting is getting set up I will try and attend :-) don't have anything to show off but ah well ^_^ love the ScotchPi name :-D

G
by kelsojim » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:12 pm
I'm in the borders and I think the interest would be enough for a Glasgow and Edinburgh group.
by George Reid » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:09 am
I'm another Glasgow based pi owner. Finding it a bit daunting to get started since my last formal computer coding training was about 35 years ago. Curiously semi-retirement doesn't seam to free up all that much time. I would welcome a the opportunity to participate in a pi group.
by KiltedPi » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:16 pm
I am in the process of making a website with a phpbb forum, and organising a venue (A local school in Glasgow), a tuck shop as a possibility, and volunteers.

To get a flavour of who I am, and what I am about, - I'm in full time education in Glasgow so I'm thinking a "Sunday Club" or a Monthly club, depending on demand- perhaps using one of the schools as a venue would be a great way to spread our enthusiasm to the youngsters we bring along. My long time girlfriend of 7 years is a full time youth project worker, and in order to run this sort of thing I am informed there is ... Nghh... All sorts of adminstration and things that are required to keep the younglings safe and the lawyers away!

I'm looking into getting something known as a "Disclosure Scotland" form away which will skin me about £60, and my missus is telling me the local school she hires is about £17 an hour. However, I live in a wee seaside town in the middle of nowhere, I project a Glasgow school will probably be dearer, but centralising the club just plain makes sense to me. So! - assuming we run for three hours of a Sunday, and have around about 15 members, its a pretty small fee per person, say a few quid, and we can join up, and I intend to collect some project ideas for us to begin collaborating on - on the afforementioned website- And any extra money collected will (Of course) go on components etc for our fun!

The "MagPi" magazine has a fantastic list of projects for us to get stuck into, and I think will be the bible of our club, certainly to begin with, although by no means will it be the "Be all and end all" of the clubs activities. I intend to print off several copies of the publication for the clubs meetings. And with regards to being guaranteed access to a Pi, there will be only the ones we bring along ourselves. So it is very much BYOP. (Bring your own Pi). At this stage, it really is a fledgling development, and I havent even started coding the website, or even bought a web domain at this point! But this raspPi forum has all but bolstered that we have a community here in the west coast of Scotland. One that is tired of the IT curriculum of 'yesteryear' (Microsoft Excel anyone? ) and eager to inspire the fresh young minds of tomorrow with Robots, flashing LED's and coding reminscent of the golden age of the Eighties!

I leave you with a quote by the american novelist Jack London:

"You can't ignore inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. "
by KiltedPi » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:49 pm
I've got a prototype website written now ready to be hosted (On a Pi running as a server incidentally!). And I will be collaborating with an already existing youth club which takes part in my local town! I might start asking in a month or two for guest speakers on this forum to come and talk about electronics and coding, and once the order for four new pi's arrives, will be able to begin the monthly club! exciting times!
by Gallarus » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:04 pm
Hello
Is there a Pi club established in Glasgow? I'm not PC literate myself but interested for my kids. I don't think there would be any need for 'Disclosures' as long as any children involved remained in the care of their parents/carers.
by MonkeySword » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:36 am
I live in the Scottish borders and would be really interested in attending any Scottish meet up. Edinburgh would be easier but would be willing to travel to the west coast if needed.

Is there any update on a planned Scottish meet up?

Thanks!
"The difference between life and art is art is more bearable." - Charles Bukowski
by nickweb » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:19 pm
Have you thought of speaking to a member from The Electron Club (http://www.electronclub.org/doku.php) ? They're based in CCA - 350 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow, G2 3JD.

They deal with electronics (Arduino's and they're building a RepRap). IT could be good for both - new RPi users, and experienced 'duino users.

Im in Glasgow and would love to attend at the Electron Club. Perhaps the RPi could be my first outing?

Nick
Thanks,

Nick

http://www.nick-web.co.uk/ee
by nickweb » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:43 am
Just as an update to that, The Electron Club is a member of the CCA - They rent out the space they have. The calendar is available online, and means you can see what days are available to hold classes.

Without looking to hijack any ideas, It may be beneficial to start off in here, maybe once a month. Its central in Glasgow, about a 10 minute walk away from both Glasgow Queen Street (for the Northers!), and Glasgow Central (for the Southers). Charing Cross train station is about 5 minutes away (For East coasters). Once a month would be pretty good to begin with, as travel costs should really cost that much.

If it proves popular, you could then diversify into separate groups.

For kids, I think its worthwhile having adults who read from the same book if you like to get a better understanding of the technology, and how other people are or will be using it. This way a kid in Aberdeen is taught the same way a kid in Glasgow might.

Again, these are just my own thoughts, and I don't want to cut any body else's grass, but Im more than happy to help and make contact with a few people.

My skill level? I can solder. And figure out how to copy and paste code. ;) I know my way about basic electronics, but I figure if at least a few people turn up, you're bound to learn something.

What do you guy's and gals think?

Nick
Thanks,

Nick

http://www.nick-web.co.uk/ee
by meepmeep » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:34 pm
Hello, I originally started this thread last year but then went and hospitalised myself so been out of action for a while, but back now!

I'm based at Strathclyde University, where I use my Pis to carry out data extraction for my research, basically little web scrapers that work away in the background. I've also done things like networking and clustering.

I'm mainly a python programmer rather than a linux expert or solderer, but happy to show off some projects. At the moment I'm trying to get a Pi running MAME and other emulators with PS3 controllers via bluetooth, so if successful this might be something to show younger participants. Maybe have some kind of rig set up for two players to take each other on at e.g. Quake 3?

I don't really have the time to take on organisation of events, but be more than happy to help out/talk if someone else does.

Cheers