Would anyone be interested in a York, UK meet?

16 posts
by PReDiToR » Sat May 26, 2012 2:42 am
From the stats on Ryan's tracking page there seem to be a few RasPi owners in York.

Would anyone be interested in meeting up and discussing geeky crap without their SO/kids/mates yawning?

Personally I like the idea of an informal setting with refreshments sold in measures of 0.5 or 1.0 pints, but if there is interest in having a room full of TVs and power outlets that could be arranged too.

If it turns out that both beer and RasPis are in order, I imagine it degenerating into a Quake3 fragathon fairly quickly =)
Do not meddle in the affairs of geeks
for they are subtle and quick to anger
by fgaughan » Tue May 29, 2012 5:24 pm
I am interested !

Have you posted to a York LUG aswell?
by billio » Tue May 29, 2012 10:22 pm
I am interested, living a few miles away. Presumably we would bring our own pies.

RPi due to arrive in the next day or so. Not sure which is more important the RPi or finishing off installing the new bathroom before the wife returns from holiday :-) .
by PReDiToR » Thu May 31, 2012 3:40 pm
fgaughan wrote:I am interested !

Have you posted to a York LUG aswell?
I have not. Do you have the links for any York LUGs? I'd be more than happy to do it.
by topher1 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:23 pm
Also interested!
by markysoft » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:22 pm
I'm York based and just got my Pi, so a gathering would be interesting!

Temperamental to start with, but seems to have settled down, have openelec running well, but couldn't get the kb/mouse working in the gui on the debian release. Be nice to see how others are fairing with it.
by dotcomdave » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:03 am
I'm very interested... Just got my pi and have no idea how to even install Linux as completely new to Open Source... So keen to meet with others to start learning what I can do with it... Has anything progressed with getting a user group up and running yet? Things I want to start learning how to do include: building a Debian Squeeze based LAMP server, setting up a USB wireless connection, making a Debian Squeeze Kiosk system to boot straight into a single application, learn how to write my own native application to boot up in Kiosk mode, drive stepper motors with the IO interface (no idea about electronics so thought this would be a great device to learn on), trigger a DSLR camera using IO and remote camera trigger port (I think it just needs a 5v to be switched on to cause the trigger to activate)... To name but a few... So got loads of ideas which hopefully people would find useful to collaborate on:-D
by PippUK » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:03 pm
Hi.
I'll be watching this topic. I'm awaiting delivery and keen to clue myself up before arrival.
Looking to extend my understanding of computing/programming a bit more under the bonnet. A project in mind would be to set it up as a wireless media terminal/bedside clock-radio system.
I have recently been re-acquainting myself with command line programming courtesy of a refurbished BBC Master128 with a CF card drive.
I am interested in computer music systems (Cubase etc) and would be interested in any Pi based sound applications.
Peace - Pipp
by PReDiToR » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:43 pm
OK, now that some time has passed, let's revisit this topic. As the original poster I feel a bit of grave digging might be permisible.

If you want to get together and geek out over our RasPis feel free to post.
I assume that most people who wanted to get one have one by now.
by mooks » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:15 pm
I'd also be interested in a York group meet.
by iom100uk » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:40 pm
I've just been to an incredibly inspiring talk from Eben at the IET in London: http://conferences.theiet.org/yp-event/ as I happened to be around for a course on something completely different.

I'd be very interested in an event in York, and may even be able to arrange a suitable venue.
--
Ian Miller
User Services Technician, Myscience
Science Learning Centres and National STEM Centre
Twitter: @sciencevoice and @ntlstemcentre
Web: www.slcs.ac.uk and www.nationalstemcentre.org.uk
by PS0uT1aW » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:39 am
Definitely Interested, had mine for a while now, just ordered one of the new ones. Be good to meet other people using them!
by PReDiToR » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:52 pm
Posting here to advertise so subscribers to this thread get a notification.

Details are here:
Raspberry Jam in York

Hope to meet some friendly people.
by PS0uT1aW » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:01 pm
Nice one, Will see you there. Me and a colleague will be coming down, can bring everything but the screen, TV aint too portable and my other one is running a headless server!
by teknoteacher » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:29 pm
There will be a Raspberry Jam in York, on Saturday 8th June at the STEM centre. Please contact me if you would like to support this.
Alan O'Donohoe @teknoteacher http://about.me/AlanODonohoe
RaspberryJam http://raspberryjam.org.uk/ TeachComputing http://teachcomputing.wordpress.com/
by SteveLyon » Fri May 03, 2013 7:50 am
The Raspberry Jam at the National STEM Centre, York on the 8th June will have a large area for people to set up their own Pi and show off what they can do. Come along and join in the fun. Come listen to Pete Lomas, designer of the Pi. More infoprmation can be found here. http://raspberryjam.eventbrite.co.uk/#