Dublin Pi's

24 posts
by mertonn » Mon May 21, 2012 2:24 pm
Anyone out there yet?
by BigAl1452 » Sun May 27, 2012 8:04 pm
Hows the Dub?

I'm up in Derry, its at least 4hrs away.

Never know, if you get a group running I'll get down.
by mertonn » Sun May 27, 2012 9:51 pm
Hi Big Al
Wow this reminds me of the 70's when the whole microprocessor thing began. We all started computer clubs, and swapped code. This RasberryPI will be different though, as the numbers will increase very quickly. Of course you are welcome to join anything we do.
For us we are complete beginners. I got one for my Son, who is 15 and wants to start coding using the RasberryPi. I will be taking a back seat and prompt him with a stick from time to time, untill he gets going on his own. Good luck with your own efforts, and keep in touch. Nick
by totierne2 » Mon May 28, 2012 5:07 pm
Hi Dublin,

Just lurking for educational/programming software accessible by young people - my son is 6 but I would like him to have a 'scene' he can grow into.
I am a corporate java programmer with a minor Linux habit on the side.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Regards,
Turloch

Background:
I put a request (social tech for 6 year olds or a little older in Dublin) in on: google groups coderdojo-dublin
Response:
UCDdojo (for about 10+ years old)
code with your son with for example (google/MIT)? app inventor
(Or just teach him to play chess against the computer).

Actually I have a few leads (Scratch?/javascipt?/OLPC_sugar?/hardware for his birthday?) not sure what is best/what he will run with, he is currently fixated with youtube videos of computer games (ratchet and clank series) which is not ideal.
by mertonn » Mon May 28, 2012 9:57 pm
Turloch

Programming for 6+!!
Possably start with lego mindstorms as there is non-lego software also available. Possably use Rasberry PI with ir transmitter to progress further, and in the near future peplace the "Brain" with the Rasberry PI.

I believe playing with technology is the way forward.

Good luck. Nick
by ShaneK » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:01 pm
Hi all!

I got my RPi the other day. My head is spinning coming up with projects that I don't have the savvy to actually implement haha.

I'm studying part-time for a IT/IS degree in DIT so I plan to incorporate my beloved RPi into my coursework as much as possible. It makes for an excellent testing box.

Would love to see an Irish community so let me know if I can help out in any way.
by BigJeffIE » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:57 pm
Hi All,

Count me in...

I live in Westmeath and work in IT in a company in Maynooth.

Purely a microsoft man so my Linux is terrible. I'm gradually getting into it but it's not easy.

Also have a 10 year old son who's games mad but am struggling to get him into anything else computer related. I've been toying with the lego mindstorm idea but now the Pi is here I'd like to use that if possible...

Could this be the start of a PIreland Jam :roll:
by RaTTuS » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:22 pm
http://rastrack.ryanteck.org.uk/ just in case you've mised it
1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX - Prosliver FTW
"That's not right, the badgers have moved the goalposts."
by RainyParade » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:31 pm
Hi, I'm a Dublin based Pi owner.

I'm currently crawling through a copy of O Reilly Publishing's Linux Pocket Guide, and trying to wrap my head around SSH and how the tutorial for resizing the SD card's partition (I'm running an unaltered Debian OS on a 16 Gb card and wasting about 14Gb until I do something about it, heh).

I'm hoping to use the Pi to learn more about Linux and programming. Previously I've used a Ubuntu partition but so much of my college work required software that only ran on Linux so learning any command line Linux has stayed on the back burner for years. Now that I've a dedicated Linux machine I intend to do something about that.
Model B Pi owner in Dublin Ireland.
Currently running Debian Squeeze 6-19-04.
by BigJeffIE » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:45 pm
RaTTuS wrote:http://rastrack.ryanteck.org.uk/ just in case you've mised it

Excellent, I didn't know about this, thanks.

So there's a good amount of us already.
by BigJeffIE » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:53 pm
Hi RainyParade,

RainyParade wrote: and trying to wrap my head around SSH

I've just done this and SSH is now working a treat from my main pc

http://www.simonthepiman.com/how_to_set ... access.php
by teknoteacher » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:18 pm
Hi. If you want any help setting up a Dublin #RaspberryJam, you only need ask. I'm from Dublin myself and would be great to talk to some fellow dubs again. :-)

Find out what a RaspberryJam is by reading this post. http://teachcomputing.wordpress.com/2012/05/30/whats-a-raspberry-jam/
You can watch a recording from the talks section of a recent London RaspberryJam here, http://youtu.be/Zes8k5U2ZZk
or read a blog post from the same meeting. http://thescientificmoustache.wordpress.com/2012/06/21/raspberry-pi-i-london-raspberry-jam/
Alan O'Donohoe @teknoteacher http://about.me/AlanODonohoe
RaspberryJam http://raspberryjam.org.uk/ TeachComputing http://teachcomputing.wordpress.com/
by G7SXB » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:33 am
I'm down in Bray and would love to get involved in a Dublin Pi User Group.

I'm running a headless Pi. I currently connect to it via ssh over usb with a Ben Nanonote. I've an interest in low/solar power operation, home automation and remote control.

Regards

Duane
by -rst- » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:12 pm
Hi!

Another Pi user in the area - North County Dublin to be a bit more accurate - went to splat my raspberry on the above mentioned map and noticed there are some around here: one even in the same village.

Full-time software/IT professional having started with computers back in the '80s. Planning to learn more about Linux and some more programming languages, to refresh some electronics knowledge and hopefully to get the kids (or even one of them) interested in coding.

Not too much time on my hands, but might be interested in some activities, schedules permitting.

Regs,

JP
http://raspberrycompote.blogspot.com/ - Low-level graphics and 'Coding Gold Dust'
by Markx » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:52 pm
Hi there, I'm an other Dublin Pi user. Anyone out there want to start a regular club? Weekly, fornightly, or Monthly. We should be doing something together.
by rodoherty1 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:53 am
Any news of a Dublin Raspberry Jam or some form of regular meetup (fortnightly or monthly)?

Rob.
by dubPi » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:01 pm
Does any one know what would be needed to set up a Dublin Raspberry Jam?
We should look at something for this year.
by rodoherty1 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:45 pm
Hi Guys,

Personally, I'd just like to hear what people are up to and to perhaps to chat to those who are doing something that I'm interested in.

My own little project is to set up a simple, easy-to-use media player that plays music and videos on a small home tv using a simple input device like a trackpad or a remote control. It's all been done before but I haven't yet decided how I want to implement it. I'd prefer not to use XBMC because I don't like the look of it.

Of course, I may change my mind and get back to exploring the GPIO.

So where are Dublin Pi peopl hanging out? Is this thread the hub of activity or is there a G+ Community, Facebook, Twitter or something else that I should be aware of?

Rob.
by BazM » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:13 pm
Hi there just wondering if anything ever came of this. Im in Dublin myself and just after investing in a Pi of my own and would love to put it to some creative use. Unfortunately I have no previous experience of this sort of thing but would love to meet up with people in the area and see what sort of projects are being done. A pointer in the right direction for a noob like myself or any useful info at all would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
by mantekka » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:25 pm
Hi, Dublin pi owner here. I have two at the moment, one running as a headless music server in my house. Using mpd and streaming from my NAS. It's great!
I used the other with the camera module and set it up to run timelapses. Got it running the way I want it, but the view from my window isn't too exciting! I need to find some nice locations to run it near power, or else get a battery for it.

I'd be interested if a group was running in Ireland, would be nice to see it put to good use.
by aisha » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:08 pm
Hi everyone,

Just checking in here to see if there are many Pi users in Dublin. I've volunteered to run an Introduction to Raspberry Pi Workshop for Coding Grace - who run female friendly workshops.
I'm sure the level will be a bit too basic for anyone who is already using a Raspberry Pi, but I thought it would be a good time to check in with the rest of the community here in Dublin. Interested to hear what other people are doing - I originally planned to use mine as a media centre, but with the advent of Netflix and the 4OD plugin for xbmc no longer working I have shelved that. Future plans include an in-vehicle system - providing navigation with GPS location, having a wardriving ability to search for open wifi networks, downloading and watching movies when parked.

Looking forward to hearing what everyone else is up to..
by ofey » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:08 pm
Hi,
I'm in Dublin and I've got one Pi.
Pi is headless, with wifi dongle and I use ssh or VNC to connect to it.
Spent a while figuring out how to set up port-forwarding and no-ip to handle the dynamic DNS. This is all running smoothly now.
I've managed to set up a lighttpd server and am playing with webiopi, which I'd like to integrate with RPi_Cam.
My Pi is also setup to run on battery if need be.
This way I'd like to have a web interface to control the bot over the net and with video streaming, the same as has been done in MagPi
issue 9: WebIOPi – Raspberry Pi REST framework
and
issue 10: Remote controlled robot cam – part 2.
Thanks,
Shane
Pi = too much fun!
by Kizuta » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:34 pm
Anyone else out there in Dublin using Pi's? Only got mine today, but I started my readings on general stuff a good while ago. I am currently studying part-time so hope to get around using it for the first time once exams are over.
by AnnO » Mon May 05, 2014 12:42 pm
If you are in Education, this might interest you:
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=76437