User group in Bristol

34 posts   Page 1 of 2   1, 2
by MattyH » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:57 am
Hi all

I'm thinking about setting up an informal RPi user group for Bristol and the SW - could be part of LUG.

Any Bristolians/SW people out there interested? In particular with educational projects?

Cheers

Matt
by noodlemctwoodle » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:33 pm
Im in Bristol, got my RPi on order - due 16/04/2012. Cant wait :D
by trevj » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:15 am
Matt Horritt said:

Any Bristolians/SW people out there interested? In particular with educational projects?

I'd like to try to attend any such a user group, although I must admit that I've not placed an order yet. I was considering waiting for a later batch but ordering now would mean I'd be in that pool anyway.

A few local RISC OS users should have boards at some point. Meetings are open to all, and we don't talk exclusively about RISC OS. So if you'd like to have a chat please feel free to turn up some time.
by MattyH » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:22 pm
Thanks Trev. Maybe just as a social member :)

Might be easier to do something once a few folks have got boards to play with.
by AndersUk » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:39 pm
Hello there! I'm Bristol based and have a Pi on order. Happy to come along to a user group. A couple of my Bristol based mates also have Pi's on order who I'm sure I can get to turn up as well.

Very reminiscent of the Homebrew Computer Club :-)
by Redrobes » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:52 am
That's my neck of the woods too so I may be interested in a little bit of club time. I got up at 6am failed to get one on order so waiting for more units to go through before I get one. But id like to see one and measure it in real so I can start thinking about a box for it. I know dimensions are around on the forums but I like to be sure. I'm porting some of my code already to be compatible with it when I do get one.
by js2020 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:03 pm
I'm also in bristol and I'd be interested in some kind of user group. I registered with RS shortly after 6 on launch day but not soon enough for the first batch I think. Just working on setting up the fedora remix in qemu at the moment so I've got something to start playing with while I wait.
by MattHawkinsUK » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:09 pm
I would be interested but only when I've actually got a Pi to play with. Not really interested in messing with Virtual Machines at the moment because I want to spend time on the fun stuff not hacking command lines trying to get the basics to work.

I'm happy to admit I want someone else to sort out a stable OS first so I can just dive in :)

I've got a pre-order with Farnell. Got "something" with RS but I'm not sure what. They seem a bit confused about the whole process. They occasionally send me email, bless'em.
My Raspberry Pi blog and home of the BerryClip Add-on board : http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/
Follow me on Google+, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter (@RPiSpy)
by BrightonPi » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:11 pm
Same situation in Brighton - (@BrightonPI if your interested) - Lots of interest, but limited practical value until we get some hardware :)  Hvaing said that I heard something about an interesting meetup in Plymouth, anyone know more?
by joshhodgson » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:40 pm
I'm a Bristol kid in Sixth Form. I say kid and not "young adult", because things like the BBC Micro are way before my time, and the Pi is sort of my gateway to the simple computer world which I have never experienced. XP is about as simple as it ever got. I'm planning on running a home server on a pi, including a php-mySQL host space, though I'd eventually try and get a few solar-powered Time-Lapse Pi's around the city for a few months (such as around Temple Meads where the building work is going on, and will be for a while). See here for my post on it.
by Squiggle » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:46 pm
Bristol IT Fiddler here and I'd be interested!  Currently waiting on my pi to turn up, so will definitely be up for it when it does arrive!
by MattyH » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:27 am
Gosh - thanks for the replies everyone. Sounds like we've got a number of people around Bristol who might be interested in meeting. So the plan is to wait while some people get boards and have chance to play, then meet up somewhere.

Splendid.

Matt
by gordon@drogon.net » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:15 am
Matt Horritt said:

Hi all

I'm thinking about setting up an informal RPi user group for Bristol and the SW - could be part of LUG.

Cheers

Matt

I'm in Devon and I have to admit that it's a pretty big wasteland as far as interest groups like this are concerend )-: Mostly due to its size - the same population as greater Bristol, (about a million) but 50 times the physical area, (along with 8000 miles of road and 6000 bridges or something like that), so getting about is not always easy...

So... Since the Raspberry Pi is just another Linux box, then what about approaching the local Linux User Group? Ther are LUGs all over the world, usually full of people who're enthusiastic about Linux, it's use, promotion, etc., so I suspect the LUGs are going to be (should be!) the best resource to get people going initially.

Southwest LUGs

The Devon & Cornwall LUG meets twice a month (at 2 separate locations, 100 miles apart). Hm. Just looked up the Bristol & Bath LUG - empty website - so maybe it doesn't bode too well for them... The Devon & Cornwall LUG pages are here

I reaally would like to think the LUGs would make the best local resources. It's just another Linux box afterall. Sadly the DC LUG barely manages to get half a dozen people in a cafe once a month depsite having 200+ members on the mailing list. I hope the Bristol one fares better...

So, Use the LUG, Pi friends!

Gordon
--
Gordons projects: https://projects.drogon.net/
by svrsig » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:07 am
I'm interested in a user group in Bristol. My particular interest is getting RISC OS to work on the Pi.
by svrsig » Tue May 08, 2012 8:27 pm
Well I'll bring the Pi along to the Bristol RISC OS User group meeting in the Hope & Anchor Jacobs Wells Road tomorrow evening
by gavinlew » Wed May 09, 2012 5:54 pm
Hi All,

Im from Bristol too (Yate), I have 2 Boards , one is deployed and in use running OpenELEC (nightly builds compiled from Git)

The other is being used to tinker about with the various distro's and other projects.

I have just received a mini wifi usb adapter which im hoping to use with the Pi (seller claims its Linux compatible, was about £1.59 from China).

Be interested to hear of any meetups or social events.

Cheers

Gavin

(@gavinlew)
by trevj » Mon May 14, 2012 12:49 am
What would be the best time of week to try and arrange something for the future? A weekday evening, perhaps? Would people be looking for a social and a natter or more of a "couple of systems able to be set up - bring your SD card and/or ideas"? The latter would obviously be trickier to find a venue for but I'm sure that between us we could find something suitable.
by gavinlew » Mon May 14, 2012 8:14 am
The Bristol LUG meets on a Saturday at the Knights Templar (Bristol) - which seems to work well. A weekend meet would probably work better than a weekday one.

If the venue is contacted in advance they may be "willing" to loan power? (I certainly know my local wouldn't mind).

G
by trevj » Tue May 15, 2012 6:36 am
This one? Only ever been there first thing in the morning for breakfast. Maybe I should subscribe to this list.

Do you know what time they meet? (Presumably not Saturday evening!) How frequently?

I've also wanted to check out Bristol Hackspace (Thu eves) but so far haven't managed to fit it in. (I also sent an enquiry email some months ago but don't appear to have received a reply.)
by gavinlew » Tue May 15, 2012 7:26 am
Hi Trev,

Yep thats the correct venue (v.close to Temple meads).

Im sure the meets are normally third/fourth saturday in the month normally from 12noon-2/3 or until people drift away.

Cheers

G
by InactiveX » Tue May 15, 2012 8:24 pm
I live in Bath and would be very happy to jump on the train to Bristol for a meet.
by trevj » Sun May 20, 2012 9:00 pm
Just checked the archives of the LUG mailing list. They seem to meet on the last Sat of the month. So that'll be be the coming one, i.e. 26 May. Not sure I'll be able to make it, and don't have a Pi yet anyway. However, will update here if I can get there.
by trevj » Mon May 21, 2012 9:15 pm
I've just posted a request to the Bristol LUG list to ask whether there's a meeting this Sat.

If it's on, I should be able to attend until towards 2pm. I'll have my family with me, so we'll probably get a sneaky cheap lunch together and have a bit of a look/chat with the LUG people, but I don't expect to be around for all that long. (If there's anyone else with a 5-year-old, it could be a good tactic to bring him/her along!)
by trevj » Thu May 24, 2012 7:43 am
I'll be at the The Knights Templar (very close to Bristol Temple Meads station) around midday this Saturday. Maybe see some of you there.
by toulouse » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:56 pm
Hello,

I'm in Weston super Mare and would be interested in joining / meeting others in the Bristol area. I'm also in LUG, although I haven't yet been to any of the meetings at KT. I plan to do so soon, though.

I got my Pi today, and have cranked it up. What a cool piece of kit.

Bye for now

Mick Young