RISC-OS / BBC user group

20 posts
by Luny » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:26 pm
I've been out of the RISCO-OS circle for about 10 years now. But I am getting all excited over it because of this great project / foundation (he he).

Can anyone recommend any good user groups online based on RISC-OS / BBC BASIC? It would be nice to share anything I get to write when I'm all Pi'd up. Of course I will post here as well, but would be nice to share with other users that are non Pi'd.
Luny
by archsaddler » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:48 pm
Not sure how useful this is

http://www.riscoscode.com/
by ukscone » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:50 pm
http://pilearn.com might be of use too
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Luny » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:44 pm
Thanks guys, those are just the thing I'm thinking off.

I was hoping there would be something local as well, but it just seems this part of Surrey is totally void of anything 'computery'. Even the local computer shops aren't very 'computery'. :)

Nearest group is Horsham, which covers the whole of Surrey and Sussex. That is a big area to cover :)

Hmm, I wonder if anyone else is from the Kingston / Epsom part of Surrey?
Luny
by ukscone » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:45 pm
Luny said:

Used to be but that was way back in the carboniferous. There used to be a pretty good computer store on Victoria Road opposite the Y.

Not sure if it's still there though but it's not a wasted visit if it isn't as there is a great pub i know is still there just around the corner (and another back up victoria road towards the railway station)

Reading, Bracknell and Reigate are not too far away and I would almost bet money that there will be a Pi-club there if not immediately then within a month or so
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Phil Spiegel » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:55 pm
SASAUG (Surrey and Sussex Acorn User Group still meets each month in Horsham. THere is also ROUGAL meeting in London, And a group in Southampton
by Luny » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:14 pm
ukscone said:

Luny said:

Used to be but that was way back in the carboniferous. There used to be a pretty good computer store on Victoria Road opposite the Y.

Not sure if it's still there though but it's not a wasted visit if it isn't as there is a great pub i know is still there just around the corner (and another back up victoria road towards the railway station)

Reading, Bracknell and Reigate are not too far away and I would almost bet money that there will be a Pi-club there if not immediately then within a month or so

Not many computer stores in Surrey these days. Not what you'd call real computer stores. :)

Yeah I'm sure people in the area will start talking about a Pi Club.
Luny
by Burngate » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:48 am
Looks like there's going to be a group near here combining R-Pi with cruising on the Thames

http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....boq#p39869
Wyszkowski's Second Law: Anything can be made to work if you fiddle with it long enough.
Brain surgery is easier than psychoanalysis
by trevj » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:35 pm
Burngate said:

Looks like there's going to be a group near here combining R-Pi with cruising on the Thames

:-D
by Jongoleur » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:27 pm
trevj said:

Burngate said:

:-D

Talking about cruising, there used to be a hireboat company on the Severn/Avon at Tewkesbury with a most unfortunate name.  No, I won't mention it, it'll just start the children off again…   8-O

Edit for typos
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...
by helpful » Sun May 27, 2012 6:03 pm
Sorry for the very late reply, I couldn't stand the old forums so had stopped reading!

For RISC OS stuff your nearest user group is definitely ROUGOL. Trains go direct from Kingston into Waterloo and its only 10 mins from there.

Unfortunately you missed Pi evening last week.

Bryan.
by helpful » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:43 pm
There will be several Raspberry Pi's at the next ROUGOL meeting on Monday 18th June. They will be running RISC OS and Linux, and there might be robots too :-)

Details here: http://www.rougol.jellybaby.net/

Bryan.
by Luny » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:37 pm
Hello everybody, I'm back.

I wouldn't mind getting people together in the Epsom/Ewell area. Are there many Pi fans around here?
Luny
by chrisg » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:28 pm
I'm in Epsom and have a Pi, Acorn A3000 and BBC Model B in the house.

I guess that qualifies me.
by Luny » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:20 am
Oh, that is perfect Chris. I'm thinking that it wont purely focus on RISCO-OS, but be generic Raspberry stuff. But I would definitely have RISC-OS on the agender. Just for pure misty eyed nostalga.

Having a dead A3000 in my loft (sob) it would give me a good excuse to buy another one from ebay.

Bourne Hall in Ewell seems to have reasonable rates for rooms, and I'm sure Epsom library hires out rooms, but I can't seem to find anything on-line for that.

Luny
Luny
by Luny » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:55 am
Just the two of us then. Not exactly a party.
I always thought there were too many cabbies and not enough techies in our area. :lol:

Luny
Luny
by Burngate » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:27 am
I'd be happy with Ewell - it'd be closer than central London (I'm in Sunningdale).
Went last night to the Rougol meet, excellent, but took an hour and a half each way and cost half a Pi and they didn't have decent cider.
Wyszkowski's Second Law: Anything can be made to work if you fiddle with it long enough.
Brain surgery is easier than psychoanalysis
by Luny » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:45 am
<holds up three fingers>
This is starting to feel like The magnificent seven. I do hope we get more than that though.
Luny
by helpful » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:54 am
Burngate wrote:Went last night to the Rougol meet, excellent
Glad you enjoyed it! It was a very successful evening, with the demo of setting up RISC OS going surprisingly smoothly considering the very alpha nature of the current release.
but took an hour and a half each way and cost half a Pi
Hopefully it was worth the trip, and it's only once a month :-)
Bryan.
by helpful » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:06 am
ROUGOL will be attending the Cambridge Raspberry Jam this weekend, demonstrating RISC OS on the Pi and probably fiddling with some BBC BASIC :-)