Raspberri Pi in Indiana

6 posts
by bbailey9 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:58 pm
Is there anyone around central Indiana that is interested in meeting up to trade knowledge on the Raspberry Pi?
by hkoutram » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:35 pm
I'm in Columbus, IN. Got 2 Raspberry PIs 3 days ago. brought them up w/Raspberian Linux & my HDTV. Retired, 1st computer in 1961. Most of my life in Electronics/Computers. BS in Computer Science from BYU in '75. Current interest is embedded computers ( mostly PIC & ARM). I am ham(NI9T) since 84. 1st used Unix in '83.
by bbailey9 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:27 pm
Wow it sounds like I really could learn a lot from you! I am currently working as an Electrical Engineer in Lafayette mostly doing embedded design with PIC microcontrollers but do all aspects of product development from circuit design and analysis to PCB layout to writing firmware. The Pi is my first experience with Linux and I've always been interested in HAM but never had the chance to get any experience with it. I would be interested working on something together if we could work it out.
by hkoutram » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:37 pm
How about internet control of some home devices, such as garage door, radios, cable (recording), ... ? Is that too ambitious ? I am open to just about anything that the Pi can be useful for that's not too expensive (retired!). I'm not too knowledgable about Perl/Python but am willing to learn. My main forte is assembly & C.
It looks like your job is similar to some of my work for Cummins (used Intel 8097 in engine control module, written in assembly & PL/M back in late '80s).
I sure we can agree on something interesting.
by bbailey9 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:47 pm
That is a great idea doing some internet control type project. I dont think it is too ambitious. I am pretty comfortable with Python, if you know C learning Python will be a breeze. I think it is a great programming language and is very versatile. Maybe we can skype or do a google hangout if you have that capability and plan out a project.
I write a lot of firmware and maintenance some legacy projects that are written in assembly so I am also pretty comfortable with assembly. If you can skype (or whatever you prefer) we should get together and brainstorm. I am off at 5 EST every day. Lets do something! It would be fun.
by hkoutram » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:05 pm
K, I am hkoutram on Skype. Give me a call or tell me your skype name & I'll skype you tinite.