Swansea Jam

13 posts
by Yfory » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:53 pm
Swansea Jam
Saturday, December 1st, 2012
Raspberry Pi South Wales User Group

We, the Raspberry Pi South Wales User Group, have consistently met on the first Friday of every month at the Pub on the Pond in Swansea for 5 months now, that's worth celebrating. So it is with great pleasure that I announce the first Swansea Jam, to be held on Saturday, December 1st 2012.

We're hoping to arrange some great speakers that will extol the virtues of the Raspberry Pi and teach you how to do some pretty cool things, plus everyone can have their moment to 'show and tell'. Stay tuned for more details and mark the date in your calendar!

Grab Your FREE Ticket Here: http://swanseajam.doattend.com

Venue:
Technocamps (407, 4th Floor)
Vivian Tower, Swansea University
Swansea, Wales
SA2 8PP
by Yfory » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:30 pm
Swansea Raspberry Jam
1st Raspberry Pi Conference in South West Wales

Saturday, December 1st 2012 (11am - 1pm)
Tickets: http://swanseajam.doattend.com/

Raspberry Pi, the small and low-cost British computer is causing a stir amongst school teachers and business owners alike. It is set to help teach children how to code software, reduce the cost of business infrastructure, and help many ideas become reality. Across the world "Jams" are taking place to help explain this amazingly phenomenal British invention and connect people in ways they never previously thought.

Come along to the first South West Wales, Raspberry Jam on December 1st and find out what Raspberry Pi can do for you, your school, your business, and your children.

Event Schedule:

11:00 - Welcome & Why You Should Adopt a Pi

Edward O'Regan opens the Jam and describes why individuals, teachers, students, and businesses should adopt the Raspberry Pi as a platform.

11:20 - Why I Got a Pi & Personal Interests (Open Session)

Real users of the Raspberry Pi describe their reasons for getting involved with the Raspberry Pi and their background in computing.

11:40 - Demonstration: Build Your Own Light Sensor

We'll show you how to build your own simple circuit that records the data from a light sensor, and describe the practical applications.

12:00 - TBC

12:20 - TBC

12:40 - SD Card Swap Shop & Networking

Bring your own SD cards to swap with other Raspberry Pi users; meet others and share your interests and maybe make a new contact.

13:00 - Close
by liz » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:09 am
Could you ping me the dates of future jams (up until Feb-ish) by email? I'll be visiting the factory in Pencoed a few times over the next few months, and if the dates happen to overlap, I'd very much like to come along.
Foundation
Foundation
by Yfory » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:13 am
FREE Car Parking

Parking on Swansea University campus on Saturday, December 1st, for attendees of the Swansea Jam will be FREE. As the event will be held in the Vivian Tower, access will be by the side entrance. The nearest car park is therefore between the Vivian Tower and Grove Annex (11.2 and 13 on the campus map).

Campus Map: http://www.swansea.ac.uk/media/CampusPlan.pdf

If you have not registered, do so, spaces are filling up! http://swanseajam.doattend.com/

liz wrote:Could you ping me the dates of future jams (up until Feb-ish) by email? I'll be visiting the factory in Pencoed a few times over the next few months, and if the dates happen to overlap, I'd very much like to come along.

Hi Liz, my sincere apologies for not having been in touch yet, I will email you by the end of this week. I appreciate you are not around at the moment, but wanted to apologise no less.
by Yfory » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:55 pm
Postponed.

Sincerest apologies are in order. Last week on my way home from work, a car driver pulled out without looking and forced me to take emergency action in order to avoid collision. Subsequently, my shoulder was fractured in two places.

I believed that after a few days rest things were manageable and I was on the mend, so had no intention of cancelling the Jam. Unfortunately, a second x ray and consultancy today revealed that whilst one of the fractures is on the mend, the other needs more time, and worse, ligaments are torn which is the main source of the pain. As a result, the doctors have signed me off for 3 weeks despite my cries of wanting to carry on with work and the Jam.

As a result, I am saddened to say that the Swansea Jam will be postponed until after the new year. I hope that you understand and will still show an interest when we re-arrange it for February. The good news is that Technocamps are fully behind the Jam happening at our teaching lab and the jam is not cancelled, just postponed.
by I ate all the Pi » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:33 pm
Please post the new dates asap, I may be able to help with equipment (screens, projectors etc.) and would be pleased to help, let me know.
by techpaul » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:35 pm
Take it easy and recovery will be faster.

Use you mind to think up new ideas, unless that hurts as well :-)
Just another techie on the net - For GPIO boards see http:///www.facebook.com/pcservicesreading
or http://www.pcserviceselectronics.co.uk/pi/
by spforster13 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:01 pm
Hope the recovery is going well.

Is there any new news as to when the jam will happen now?
by boblove » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:07 pm
Take it easy and get better. :)

Yfory wrote:Postponed.

Sincerest apologies are in order. Last week on my way home from work, a car driver pulled out without looking and forced me to take emergency action in order to avoid collision. Subsequently, my shoulder was fractured in two places.

I believed that after a few days rest things were manageable and I was on the mend, so had no intention of cancelling the Jam. Unfortunately, a second x ray and consultancy today revealed that whilst one of the fractures is on the mend, the other needs more time, and worse, ligaments are torn which is the main source of the pain. As a result, the doctors have signed me off for 3 weeks despite my cries of wanting to carry on with work and the Jam.

As a result, I am saddened to say that the Swansea Jam will be postponed until after the new year. I hope that you understand and will still show an interest when we re-arrange it for February. The good news is that Technocamps are fully behind the Jam happening at our teaching lab and the jam is not cancelled, just postponed.
by beardedgeek » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:23 am
Hello!

How's the recovery going? I'm in the Bridgend area so interested in getting my Jam on. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.
by EBLenny » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:49 pm
Hi, new Pi-oneer here! :D

Any further news on when/if a jam might be occurring???

Cheers

Ben 8-)
www.electriciansboards.co.uk - a forum for electricians by electricians
by doug » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:04 pm
If you are interested in Raspberry Pi events in South Wales, I have created a Google Group to bring together Raspberry Pi users in South Wales to talk and hopefully arrange some meetups and events.

You can find the group here:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/pi-cymru

Doug
by doug » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:58 pm
Due to a lot of great support from you good folks in the Swansea area, you shall have Jam of the Raspberry variety. I have arranged a new Raspberry Jam event on Saturday March 8th, 2014 at TechHub in Swansea.

Tickets and a description can be found here:
http://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/picymru-s ... 0323996351

I've had some offers for speakers, although I could use more speakers and demos so please come and show or talk about things you have done.

I hope to put together a detailed programme of events soon. If you are interested in coming please show your support and grab some tickets :-)

Doug