US Hackspace Tour discussion and planning

19 posts
by liz » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:17 pm
This thread is for discussion of Rob Bishop's upcoming tour of US hackspaces. This is only the first of a planned series of tours - please leave a post below if you'd like to see Rob visit a hackspace near you in the future.

Use this space to talk about what projects you're planning to demo on the evening, ask questions about the tour, arrange to meet up with other Pi owners, talk about sharing lifts and so on. Rob will be dropping in here from time to time to answer questions - when he can't be around, the rest of us will do our best to answer for him!
--
Head of Comms, Raspberry Pi Foundation
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
by eps » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:57 pm
What should Show & Tell participants expect?

How much time will be allotted for each presenter?

What equipment will be available?

Can I bring just a prepared SD card (if I don't need MPEG-2 and/or VC-1)? Do I also need to provide my own Raspberry Pi + power supply + keyboard + mouse + monitor, etc.? Will there be a projection system? Will there be two projection systems (presentation slides or live camera for close-ups on one, video output on the other)? Would I be able to demonstrate something requiring sound output to a large audience?

Should I be planning for a Lightning Talk or a Poster Session?
by rdb » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:05 am
eps wrote:What should Show & Tell participants expect?

How much time will be allotted for each presenter?

Firstly let me say that the events are very informal - think of it more like a homebrew computing meet than a planned event. It's really just a chance for Raspberry Pi enthusiasts to meet up, ask me questions and do some hacking/making together as a group.

We'll make time during the event for people to demonstrate their projects to the rest of the group and I'll have some prizes to give away for the ones the community like best. It'll probably be based on some kind of show of hands or something. I'll be blogging about all the projects I can and hopefully some will make it onto the website.

You're welcome to demonstrate your project in whatever way you wish - if you want to prepare a talk and use slides then that's cool but equally feel free just to turn up and show off what you've been working on during the meet!

eps wrote: What equipment will be available?

Can I bring just a prepared SD card (if I don't need MPEG-2 and/or VC-1)? Do I also need to provide my own Raspberry Pi + power supply + keyboard + mouse + monitor, etc.? Will there be a projection system? Will there be two projection systems (presentation slides or live cam

This is entirely down to what equipment the hackspace hosting the meet can provide. Please get in contact with them and they'll see if they can meet your requirements.

We would advise anyone who can to bring their own Raspberry Pi + power supply + keyboard + mouse + monitor so that we can have as many Pi's up and running on the day as possible. I'll be bringing some demo Pi's but not enough for everyone.

Let me know if you have any further questions and I'll looking forward to seeing you there.

Rob
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by W. H. Heydt » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:02 pm
rdb wrote:Let me know if you have any further questions and I'll looking forward to seeing you there.

Rob

I'm just looking forward to meeting *you*.

(I'll be coming into San Francisco by the local interurban rail system, BART, since driving into SF is okay, but trying to park is an acute pain. Thus, I will have minimal "stuff" with me.)
by SteveL » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:47 am
Uh, 5 events in the NYC area within what, 20 miles of each other? As a resident of Colorado Springs (and the owner of a Raspberry Pi), I'd love to attend, and would be willing to head up to Denver, but the nearest event to me appears to be Austin, TX at about 900 miles. I understand you can't be everywhere, but 5 events in NYC and nothing else until you reach the west coast except for Austin?

Wow.

Steve
by Jim Manley » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:42 pm
I will be attending the events at Noisebridge in San Francisco, Hacker Dojo in Mountain View, and Stanford to recruit Pi enthusiasts to the monthly Raspberry Jam Silicon Valley and Raspberry Pi Peninsula Meetup group events so that we can keep the momentum going on projects and otherwise spreading the educational goodness that the Pi is all about long after Elvis, I mean Rob, has left the buildings.

I will have at least one Atrix lapdock PiTop in operation and will bring at least two additional borrowed Pi boards along with the necessary power supplies, LCD monitors, other peripherals, cables, etc., needed for at least three workstation setups for demos, hacking, and whatever else we may want to do with them. I may not have enough network cable/router/switch infrastructure, though, but I can bring USB WiFi dongles that are on the compatible devices list on the wiki. I will also bring at least one GertBoard and an Arduino Uno with a solderless prototyping board along with LEDs, motors, resistors, jumper wires, etc., for showing off analog I/O interfacing.

I will also be bringing enough electrified razor wire to secure all of the above to the point where it may become hazardous to actually do anything with the boards, much less steal one of them! ;)

Looking forward to seeing everyone at the events and bring raspberry pies as well as Raspberry Pi boards! :D
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!
by prof_braino » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:27 pm
Howdy!

There are several groups in the Chicago Area with an interest in the RPi.

There's several hackerspaces, in the city is Pumping Station 1, out in the west burbs is Workshop 88, and another up in Milwaukee is Sector 67.

I'm with the Chibots, the Chicago Robotics club. Unfortunately, we don't have a number in our name, or an address of our own. We meet at a library the second Sunday of each month. If you're passing through on a second Sunday of any month, you are invited to our meetings.

If you are in town any other time, we could organize a time at any of the other spaces, the folks are pretty friendly. We'd love to see you out here! Please let me know if you can head out this way, and I'll round up the gang
by Wangateur » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:52 pm
Thank you Rob, for sacrificing your vacation for the cause... your talk at MakeSI was a great!!!!!
... and It was Konrad Zuse who started it all in 1937 self funded in his parents living room who as a young engineer aeronautical said "did it because I was too lazy to compute".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konrad_Zuse

Dyslexics Untie :)
by thomasd538 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:13 pm
Is Rob coming to Charlotte Hackerspace or will he be in the Charlotte, North Carolina area? I am a member of the Charlotte Hackerspace and a school teacher in Charlotte who is beginning to use Raspeberry Pi in the classroom. I would be happy to take you out to lunch and show you our school if Rob is available. Plus, I can get teachers from other schools to join us. I understand that Rob may not have time, but this is a great opportunity for us to learn from Rob and for him to see how a few schools in the US are using Raspeberry Pi in the classroom.

Tom
Charlotte
by rdb » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:25 pm
Is Rob coming to Charlotte Hackerspace or will he be in the Charlotte, North Carolina area? I am a member of the Charlotte Hackerspace and a school teacher in Charlotte who is beginning to use Raspeberry Pi in the classroom. I would be happy to take you out to lunch and show you our school if Rob is available. Plus, I can get teachers from other schools to join us. I understand that Rob may not have time, but this is a great opportunity for us to learn from Rob and for him to see how a few schools in the US are using Raspeberry Pi in the classroom.

Hi Tom! Thanks for getting in touch. I sadly couldn't fit NC into this trip due to time constraints but Eben is planning to hopefully be around in that area very soon. We'll see if we can arrange something!

There are several groups in the Chicago Area with an interest in the RPi.

There's several hackerspaces, in the city is Pumping Station 1, out in the west burbs is Workshop 88, and another up in Milwaukee is Sector 67.

I'm with the Chibots, the Chicago Robotics club. Unfortunately, we don't have a number in our name, or an address of our own. We meet at a library the second Sunday of each month. If you're passing through on a second Sunday of any month, you are invited to our meetings.

If you are in town any other time, we could organize a time at any of the other spaces, the folks are pretty friendly. We'd love to see you out here! Please let me know if you can head out this way, and I'll round up the gang

Chicago is top of the list for the next US trip which will hopefully happen before the end of the year. I'm going to put out a call for interested Chicago and Midwest groups to get in touch when I know when I'll be around. It would be great to visit the Chicago Robotics club along with Pumping Station 1, Workshop 88, Sector 67 - I've added them to the list!

Jim and W.H.Heydt - Looking forward to meeting you guys too! Keep up the good work, both of you! :-)

Uh, 5 events in the NYC area within what, 20 miles of each other? As a resident of Colorado Springs (and the owner of a Raspberry Pi), I'd love to attend, and would be willing to head up to Denver, but the nearest event to me appears to be Austin, TX at about 900 miles. I understand you can't be everywhere, but 5 events in NYC and nothing else until you reach the west coast except for Austin?

Steve, I'm sorry you feel so upset about this. The Raspberry Pi Foundation is a charity so it's important for us to make sure that our money is spent efficiently - visiting as many places while in NYC makes sense in terms of reaching out to the most people at the lowest cost. Austin was scheduled as there were reasons for me to be in Austin anyway so adding an event while I'm there also makes sense.

This is only the first trip that's being planned for the US. Eben and Liz are hopefully going to be in the Georgia, North/South Carolina and Florida areas very soon and I'm intending to be back to visit Chicago, Boston and other Midwest US areas before the end of the year.

If you can let me know of a nearby hackspace to you I'll do my best to add it to the list! The US is a pretty big place to try to cover in one trip!

All the best,
Rob
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Jim Manley » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:07 pm
Rob, we're very excited to meet you and are beating the drums as loud as we can to attract attention for the events in San Francisco, Mountain View, and at Stanford. It turns out that the new owners of Qt will be having a Meetup in Santa Clara this coming Wednesday which will include demos of Qt5 running on the Pi, so, I'll be Shanghaing attendees there who are interested in the Pi to also attend your events over next weekend.

As a complete aside, if it didn't make the news elsewhere, the fly-by of the Space Shuttle Endeavour (named for HMS Endeavour, for our UK friends who are into history) on its modified 747 transporter over much of Northern and Southern California on Friday attracted huge public attention. Thousands upon thousands of spectators gathered in the early-morning hours to stake out good viewing vantage points all over the state to get a glimpse of the last time a Shuttle would be disturbing air molecules with extreme prejudice (although at well below its maximum airspeed of Mach 24 during reentry). There's a great video of Theuerkauf Elementary School kids shrieking in delight as they hear and spot the Shuttle flying by their school yard in Mountain View and break out in a full running-of-the-bulls dash across the yard to get a better look (unfortunately, it was on a live feed and I haven't been able to find it posted as a recording).

So, what does this have to do with the Pi? Well, this brief blip of an event shows that the public, especially kids, really is hungry for STEM knowledge, and if you can't arrange for a Space Shuttle to fly over your neighborhood, a demo of what the Pi can do is a great next-best thing, especially if you can include 3-D Space Shuttle graphics along with other iconic STEM imagery (guess what's now going to be included in the Pi-finity! STEM teaching game system I'm working on?). This coming week and next weekend are shaping up to be a lot of fun - I can't wait!
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!
by ajstarks » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:32 am
It was great to meet Rob at the HackManhattan hackspace. I even had a chance to show the OpenVG library (https://github.com/ajstarks/openvg)

Here's Rob discussing the motivation and progress of the Raspberry Pi: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ajstarks/8015089663/
by cborn » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:34 pm
Any chance of a stop in Houston. We are just 150 miles from Austin and TX/RX Labs is a very active space with over 100 members and significant Raspberry Pi interest.

Charles
by SteveL » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:21 pm
Steve, I'm sorry you feel so upset about this. The Raspberry Pi Foundation is a charity so it's important for us to make sure that our money is spent efficiently - visiting as many places while in NYC makes sense in terms of reaching out to the most people at the lowest cost. Austin was scheduled as there were reasons for me to be in Austin anyway so adding an event while I'm there also makes sense.

No worries, I was a bit miffed when I saw the 5 NYC events and came across a little too strong I think. ;)

I totally understand - it's a short hop across the pond to NYC and there's obviously more than a few folks in the area (I grew up there - NYIT grad). So don't listen to me - I'll wait till a hacker group in Denver lures you in - there are a few but I am not affiliated with any as it's not exactly convenient from where I am at.

I waited months to get my grubby little hands on a Pi, I can wait longer for a get together. :D Having fun experimenting - my plan is to tie the Pi to my Arduino based repeater controller (ham radio) for higher level functionality (web administration of audio levels, timers, etc., and VoIP integration).

So, keep up the good work and nevermind my rant!

Steve
by JustThisGuy » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:59 pm
Looking forward to the Mountain View gathering. I'll be bringing my lunchBOX project and am looking forward to meeting a bunch of PiHeads.

Also looking forward to that ineffable homebrew feel. They took my hobby and made it a business. Business made my hacking illegal (no reverse engineering in US).

Now, I'm taking my hobby back.
Any conversation about a sufficiently complex subject is indistinguishable from babble.
by cdjaco » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:25 pm
SteveL wrote:Uh, 5 events in the NYC area within what, 20 miles of each other? As a resident of Colorado Springs (and the owner of a Raspberry Pi), I'd love to attend, and would be willing to head up to Denver, but the nearest event to me appears to be Austin, TX at about 900 miles.

Another CS resident and Pi owner here. I also wish there were a closer event; driving to Denver is a no-brainer but Austin is too far. Are there any other Rocky Mountain Pi enthusiasts lurking out there?
by W. H. Heydt » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:14 pm
I think this might fall under "planning"...departing for SF and Noisebridge in about 15 minutes... Hope to see (and meet) other Pi users, plus--of course--Rob very soon.
by bdscomputer » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:43 pm
I see a lot of posts about where and when a meeting should occur....has anyone thought of taking any video of the meets that were already scheduled and post to you tube or a link in this forum?
I agree it would be cool to go to a live presentation but a video is the next best thing if you can not be there...anyone have one?
If there is already some posted I apologize for asking first...I have not looked yet (plan on going to you tube next)
I just received my Rasberry Pi so looking forward to playing with it and learning something new!
Learn something new or stay in bed
by rdb » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:20 pm
Hi,

During my hackspace tour I visited Google in Mountain View where they recorded this talk for their TechTalks series on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4THiC5-JZo

It's probably the closest thing to being at the talks you can get until I'm next on the road!

Best,

Rob
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator