Devon and Cornwall

14 posts
by psutton » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:38 pm
Hi

According to the Rasp track written by Ryan one of the Raspithon members there are quite a few users in Devon and Cornwall,

Would people be interested in either forming a user group or perhaps joining up with the Devon and Cornwall Linux user group in the first instance, so there can be some sort of local co-ordination as in small groups meet up in specific areas like Torbay where I am.

I think if we had one big group it would suffer the same logistical issues as the linux user group does in terms of meetings, but lots of smaller groups, would work, e.,g Torbay, Exeter, Plymouth

What works in other areas, ?

Paul Sutton
http://drupal.zleap.net
by psutton » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:33 am
Ok I have set up a google+ page for this to see if members who are interested in the PI but not maybe interested in joining the Linux user group can communicate.

https://plus.google.com/108628117248267775683/posts

You will need a google+ account.
by 16-32 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:08 pm
Is there any kind of Facebook group for this?
by psutton » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:47 pm
No sorry I no longer use Facebook,

Paul
by 16-32 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:15 pm
Oh right, I don't use Google+

What has the uptake been like so far for forming a group in this area?
by psutton » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:44 pm
Well its early days yet, we have the Devon and Cornwall Linux user group which has been going for about 12 years, there are a few members on that with Raspberry Pis

The exeter lug which is really a sort of sub group of the dclug shares the same mailing list, may have a few people and cross over to the lug.

My aims are really to bring users of the PI together as that way its more focussed onthat rather than the other musings of the group, we can then organize groups, meetings, jams among that community. While still maintaining contact with the LInux user group.

I think the a good way to find people would be to get hit as many social networks as possible, so yeah facebook, linkedin google + and others then perhaps see if we can set up a website with a forum (drupal has a forum module) bring everyone together that way, not sure how best to make it work.
I e-mailed South Devon College today and await a reply (probably going to be nearer to term time) i submitted an article which is hopefully going in the local community publication for Paignton (preston) and perhaps something going in to reconnect, but both of those link to the exeter lug website (partly as it looks nicer)

First steps would be about finding more users, even if you find a few users in your town and meet up for a chat, it's a start.
by 16-32 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:37 pm
Excellent, it all sounds very promising - a dedicated group for this platform makes perfect sense.

I live in Hampshire, although I am a Plymouthian and I visit there regularly to see family, I drive through Exeter on-route so it gives me a bit of flexibility.

perhaps the initial group gatherings could involve getting a few people to start holding meetings somewhere informal like a pub in the Exeter area to start building up momentum? Obviously the on-line side will be developed as well as you've said to gain more members.
by psutton » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:04 pm
Yeah, good idea, well the dclug meet every month anyway, so this months meet being this Saturday I think will be seeing quite a bit of Pi activity.

What I will try and do is is reach out to people in my local area, which is Torbay, see how that goes and try and direct people to either the exeter lug site, (which reminds me i should put a link from there to this forum) and take it from there.

Torbay Raspberry PI user group, I can direct people here (or set up a new thread) for Torbay, when there are several users in Torbay able to meet up.

I guess anyone serious will be signed up here or will be willing to

Paul
by 16-32 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:52 pm
You sound quite clued up with the local Linux enthusiast activity, may I ask what your personal knowledge/ability is regarding Linux, Raspberry Pi and Computing as a whole?
by psutton » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:04 pm
Hi

I have been a member of the Devon and cornwall Lug for about 12 years, I seem to be on the first page of the lug mailing list archive, So I am pretty active, post regular and arrange the Paignton / South devon Lug meets.

I started playing with Linux in the early 90's what grabbed my interest was more the tools so when you copied files from a to b and some files where named the same, rather then the choice of ignore or copy you could rename and it would rename the file filea.txt to filea1.txt so you didn't risk losing important files. It seems trivial but that sort of thing makes something stand out when the alternative is dos 6.2 and windows 3.1.

I am not a big expert started with slackware, used red hat, suse, debian, and recently settled on ubuntu, partly as the debian i was using had open office that didn't open docx files, and my 2nds computer had ubuntu that did, so i ended up moving over, so been using Linux fully for the past few years.

My interest in raspberry Pi is more I work in a school so i would hope that developing my knowledge of this may help with find more work in local schools, being able to put raspberry Pi on my cv will be more useful than having say Debian, as anyone not that clued up will recognise raspberry Pi over Debian.

I like the idea of geting children and young people back in to programming and developing a real love of programming and getting back in to the old idea of hacking, programming etc, and playing with hardware by hands on. So hopefully even though I am pretty much a very beginner at programming (apart from basic) I can help schools,. with the PI in some way.

hope this helps
by teknoteacher » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:44 pm
There are groups in Penzance and Somerset now.

http://raspberryjam.org.uk/raspberryjam-locations/
Alan O'Donohoe @teknoteacher http://about.me/AlanODonohoe
RaspberryJam http://raspberryjam.org.uk/ TeachComputing http://teachcomputing.wordpress.com/
by psutton » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:26 am
Ok cool, hopefully people will find their way on to the forums.
by psutton » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:18 pm
Just thought I would mention the following anyway

http://www.dcglug.org.uk/

Devon and Cornwall Linux user group (dclug), We have an e-mail mailing list which is free to join.
by psutton » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:41 pm
Have put a short article in reconnect magazine on the PI, trying to promote this to people locally.