Raspberry Jams - Silicon Valley

68 posts   Page 3 of 3   1, 2, 3
by teknoteacher » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:25 pm
Jim

I love reading your reports/accounts.

Would you like to make use of a http://www.raspberryjam.org.uk/siliconvalley to share photos, videos, posts etc. I know it's a .uk domain - but I would love to share what you are doing with the rest of the RaspberryJam community. It's a self-hosted wordpress site.

We've only just started using them, here's a simple example http://raspberryjam.org.uk/manchester/
Alan O'Donohoe @teknoteacher http://about.me/AlanODonohoe
RaspberryJam http://raspberryjam.org.uk/ TeachComputing http://teachcomputing.wordpress.com/
by Jim Manley » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:07 pm
teknoteacher wrote:Would you like to make use of a http://www.raspberryjam.org.uk/siliconvalley to share photos, videos, posts etc. I know it's a .uk domain - but I would love to share what you are doing with the rest of the RaspberryJam community.

Sure, why not? I don't have much else going on :D
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!
by gervangster » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:08 am
Hi Jim!
If I recall, this coming Saterday is the 3rd jam.
I'm reporting to say I unfortunently wont be able to make it this weekend, but if there was anything I could do to help prepare just let me know!

Also, as of tonight I have successfully finished my PiDock (raspberry pi + LapDock) with WiFi too! It's working great, so great that im actually writing this post on it right now! and its looking great too with a very clean,custom usb cable design and PiBow case.
In addition, I'm nearly done with my Pi-Stack (modified) case! Ive now got the laser cut powered usb hub attached to the Pi-Stack and I finished a snazzy all-in-one "cable" to organize the mess of cables coming out of the Pi.

Just a little more work to go and i've got myself a great mobile and desktop RasPi setup!
Finally!

Ive also gotten a hold of a PiO, which is a small SD to micro SD card adapter specifically for the RasPi. (It was a kickstarter project not to long ago if you want to look it up). Ive found its a great space saver for the laptop, and helps prevent the risk of the sd card getting accidentally pulled out.

I would like to post pictures (did I mention my beautiful PiBow came :D) and a little more about my projects sometime soon in a new blog ive been working on (which i might end up hosting on my 2nd RasPi!!)

Hope everything goes swimmingly at the next Jam!
-Chris Gervang
by Jim Manley » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:23 pm
As an extra-special treat this month, the Executive Committee of the 23rd Plenum Governing Board for Raspberry Jams Silicon Valley (aka me, with input from Hal and a few others) has unanimously been paid off to approve postponing our normal September monthly Jam, and instead to hold it concurrently with the Foundation hackerspace events at the Noisebridge hackerspace in San Francisco on 9/29, Hacker Dojo in Mountain View on 9/30, and Stanford University on 10/1.

I will be bringing at least one Atrix lapdock PiTop with my Pi, two additional borrowed Pi boards, and enough power supplies, LCD monitors, peripherals, cables, etc., to make everything work. I may not have enough network cables, routers/switches, etc., but I can also bring USB WiFi dongles that are on the compatible list on the wiki. I will also bring at least one GertBoard and an Arduino Uno along with the usual variety of LEDs, motors, switches, resistors, jumper wires, etc., to allow demonstration of analog I/O interfacing with Pi boards.

Come one, come all, even if you can only make it to one of the three events (come on, sleeping in your vehicle and taking bird baths in sinks is part of the hacker ethic! ;) ). Following the traveling circuses used to be a time-honored tradition, and playing with a Pi has to beat the pants off sitting in a cold tent all day surrounded by a handful of demoralized Occupy protesters :D
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
by tgirard » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:03 am
gervangster wrote:Hi Jim!
I'm reporting to say I unfortunently wont be able to make it this weekend, but if there was anything I could do to help prepare just let me know!

Also, as of tonight I have successfully finished my PiDock (raspberry pi + LapDock) with WiFi too! It's working great, so great that im actually writing this post on it right now! and its looking great too with a very clean,custom usb cable design and PiBow case.
In addition, I'm nearly done with my Pi-Stack (modified) case! Ive now got the laser cut powered usb hub attached to the Pi-Stack and I finished a snazzy all-in-one "cable" to organize the mess of cables coming out of the Pi.

Just a little more work to go and i've got myself a great mobile and desktop RasPi setup!
Finally!

Ive also gotten a hold of a PiO, which is a small SD to micro SD card adapter specifically for the RasPi. (It was a kickstarter project not to long ago if you want to look it up). Ive found its a great space saver for the laptop, and helps prevent the risk of the sd card getting accidentally pulled out.

I would like to post pictures (did I mention my beautiful PiBow came :D) and a little more about my projects sometime soon in a new blog ive been working on (which i might end up hosting on my 2nd RasPi!!)

-Chris Gervang

Hi Chris, We met at the Plastics place a couple of weeks back. I really dug your design and was wondering if you might be willing to share it (I would be more than happy to donate some Laser cutter time for you and anyone else who would like one)
by danfrisk » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:10 am
Hey guys

New to this group. I attended the presentation last week (or was it 2 weeks ago? Time flies...) -- when / where is the next Raspberry Jam?

Thanks!
by Jim Manley » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:24 pm
Hard to believe that it's already coming up on the third Saturday of the month, and that means it's time to get all good Pi heads in Silicon Valley together for the monthly Raspberry Jam. We will be meeting at the Computer History Museum (1401 N. Shoreline Blvd., Mountain View), 1 - 5 PM on Saturday, October 20th, starting in the lobby at the tables between the cafe and gift shop and, depending on how many folks show up and what meeting room we may be able to use that the museum hasn't already rented out, we may need to shift operations to one of the restaurants next door by 2 PM.

We will be showing off a variety of Pi hardware, software, and accessories including various versions of the Pi board, Atrix lapdock conversions, WiFi network interfaces, a GertBoard built by hardware designer Gert van Loo himself, an Arduino prototyping board, a variety of cases, battery-powered/mobile systems, every current OS version including XBMC/OpenElec, and software applications developed in Scratch, Python, C, Java, and other programming languages.

If you have a Pi board (especially one of the new 512 MB models), bring it along with a monitor, keyboard, mouse/trackpad, micro-USB power supply with at least 1 amp at 5 volts, cables for HDMI (or DVI), Ethernet, USB, and anything else you might have in the way of hardware, software, and accessories. We will have free WiFi access and wired Ethernet (we may need to bridge it to WiFi via a PC/Mac if we don't get a meeting room, which have wired Ethernet access).

We're looking forward to seeing everyone there - bring the kids, especially, since that's who the Pi was really designed for in the first place.
by W. H. Heydt » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:42 pm
Jim Manley wrote:We will have free WiFi access and wired Ethernet (we may need to bridge it to WiFi via a PC/Mac if we don't get a meeting room, which have wired Ethernet access).

Airlink 101 plus a router should do the trick for a wired LAN.
by gervangster » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:51 am
Hey Jim!
How did the jam go? I was out of town this past weekend so I unfortunately couldn't make it. Should I reserve a ticket for the next jam? If so, where is that link again?

-Chris
by gervangster » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:54 am
tgirard wrote:
gervangster wrote:Hi Jim!

Finally!

-Chris Gervang

Hi Chris, We met at the Plastics place a couple of weeks back. I really dug your design and was wondering if you might be willing to share it (I would be more than happy to donate some Laser cutter time for you and anyone else who would like one)

I've actually started to share at http://gervangster.wordpress.com/
I'm lagging on posts a bit, but that is mostly due to the late arrival of parts from china :P

-Chris
by W. H. Heydt » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:59 am
gervangster wrote:Hey Jim!
How did the jam go? I was out of town this past weekend so I unfortunately couldn't make it. Should I reserve a ticket for the next jam? If so, where is that link again?

-Chris

Unfortunately, Jim didn't make it...he had car trouble.

As a result of that, we didn't have a room to set stuff up in.

I took over a table near the snack bar in the museum lobby and put a Pi out on the table, so anyone wandering by would know where to stop. About a dozen people did. I fielded bunches of questions, a common one of which was "what can you DO with a Pi?" Since I read these forums a fair amount, I've seen a lot of projects mentioned, plus the ones I have of my own.

For those already familiar with the Pi, I had cases from 4 different suppliers, so people could get a close look and discussion the pros and cons of various ones.
by Jim Manley » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:12 am
Yes, it's that time of month again, folks - the Third Saturday of the Month tomorrow, which can mean only one thing - time for the Raspberry Jam Silicon Valley, when thousands of Pi enthusiasts gather to share the latest-and-greatest software, hardware, and accessories for the Pi. Welllll, would you believe hundreds of Pi fans? All right, dozens, but that's my final offer!

It would be reeeeally nice if the distributors would help broadcast to everyone they've shipped boards to where and when the closest Jam to each customer is held (e.g., by postal code). If only there were some sort of Foundation that could help convince the distributors this was a good idea - we're already promoting where to buy everything that's brought to our Jams. The least the distributors could do is help promote our existence, since apparently few folks in our area here monitor the forum regularly.

We hope some of our several hundred Googler neighbors down the street can show up, as well as the local Qt developers who have expressed interest.

We'll be in the lobby (between the cafe and the gift store) of the Computer History Museum, 1401 N. Shoreline Blvd., Mountain View, CA, between 1 and 5 PM. Details are at:

https://raspberry-jam-silicon-valley.eventbrite.com
by Jim Manley » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:22 am
NEWS FLASH!!!

My 512 MB Pi 2.0 showed up in the mail from MCM Friday afternoon, so I will be bringing it to the Jam tomorrow for those who already spent their next-to-last $35 on a 256 MB Pi and are wondering if it would be worth it to spend their absolute last haypenny on the New-and-Improved, Family Memory Size Pi.

Oh, and it even boots - such a deal! I think I'll name it "Rosebud" :lol:
by Jim Manley » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:26 pm
It's that time of the month once again to gather Pi enthusiasts in and around Silicon Valley for a free Raspberry Jam by the cafe in the lobby of the Computer History Museum (1401 N. Shoreline Blvd., Mountain View, CA) between 1 and 5 PM this coming Saturday, March 16th. We will be showing off the latest-and-greatest Pi hardware and software, so bring yours along to either demo or learn from others. If you can help us plan for attendance, we would greatly appreciate you signing up for a free virtual ticket at https://raspberry-jam-silicon-valley.eventbrite.com

There will be something for everyone ranging from the current versions of many OS distributions, application software, 3-D graphics tools, and especially software development environments ranging from Scratch for the little ones, through stalwarts like Python and C/C++, to exotics such as Plan 9 (from Outer Space). We will also have hardware on display, including Pi-top/Lap-Pi lapdocks, Gertboards, Arduinos integrated with Pii, a ValentFx FPGA shield development board, and much, much more.

Please bring your own Pii, a display, keyboard, and pointing device if you have them. If you don't have a Pi, don't worry, there will be plenty for you to see and try out on everyone else's systems. We're especially looking forward to having kids come by so that they can try out a Pi and see what all of the excitement is about.

See you there!
by johnbeetem » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:07 pm
Jim Manley wrote:... a ValentFx FPGA shield development board, and much, much more.

Are those shipping, or is this is a beta board someone was able to score?
by Jim Manley » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:02 am
johnbeetem wrote:
Jim Manley wrote:... a ValentFx FPGA shield development board, and much, much more.

It's a beta board that Mike has kindly allowed me to try out, and I've just gotten it back from a long, elaborate, circuitous sequence (just like my posts! ;)) of hand-offs between about a dozen engineers here. It's a beautiful board and it does some very cool things. We're going to give Mike the examples we came up with to test it out (each of us is an expert in at least one usage domain) and at least some may be provided via download to board buyers. We all want our own board as it was difficult to pry the beta from various cold, not-nearly-dead beta testers' hands!
by johnbeetem » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:05 am
Jim Manley wrote:
johnbeetem wrote:

It's a beta board that Mike has kindly allowed me to try out, and I've just gotten it back from a long, elaborate, circuitous sequence (just like my posts! ;)) of hand-offs between about a dozen engineers here. It's a beautiful board and it does some very cool things. We're going to give Mike the examples we came up with to test it out (each of us is an expert in at least one usage domain) and at least some may be provided via download to board buyers. We all want our own board as it was difficult to pry the beta from various cold, not-nearly-dead beta testers' hands!

Thanks for the update. I'll keep watching the "Add-ons" section to see if it ever hits general availability. It's pretty easy to keep track of all the FPGA news since it seeps in so slowly :(
by Jim Manley » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:44 pm
Well, for those of you who decided it was just too nice a day to stay indoors Saturday, you missed Eben Upton visiting our little Jam during the final 4 - 5 PM hour! Yes, THAT Eben! We had no idea he was going to show up or I would have certainly let everyone know in advance (I'm sure he and Liz knew I wouldn't be able to keep it secret if needed, but they were also providing a surprise due to my minimal enthusiasm for the Pi ;) ). He was keynote speaker at, and attending, the annual PyCon (Python programming language Conference) about seven miles from the museum through the weekend and decided to come by the Jam to say hello.

I gave him The Worid's Fastest Tour of The Computer History Museum after the Jam, including the reproduction of the Hollerith Punched Card Tabulating Machine; three vacuum tube racks of the actual ENIAC (of the half-dozen still in existence); the 15,000 tube Johnniac (one of the first stored-program EDVAC machines named in honor of Dr. John von Neuman); a console, core memory, and vacuum tube rack from the 50,000 tube Air Force SAGE air defense automation system; an original Xerox Alto WYSIWYG workstation; an Apple I board; a MITS Altair 8800 owned by Bill Gates along with a paper tape copy of his original BASIC; and literally tons of other artifacts, including a BBC Micro, an Archimedes, the Sinclairs, etc., of course.

He generously talked individually with everyone who had brought something to show, patiently answered questions from everyone, and got down into the technical weeds to the delight of all. I was running around with my hair on fire as usual as Jam Disorganizer-in-Chief (aka "The DiC" to the delight of all Pi enthusiasts, I'm sure) to the point where I couldn't get any one-on-one conversation time in with him during the Jam. To the surprise and delight of my Trusty Sidekick and Really Helpful Jam Chief Infrastructure Assistance Officer (aka "CIAO, Baby") and myself, Eben spent way more time than he should have with us after the Jam as we discussed various topics Pi and Definitely Not Pi. It finally occurred to me that there might be times when he would like to talk about something, anything other than the Pi, given how much time and effort he's put in on the project that's been an "overnight" success ... during the past seven years he's been working on it in various forms ... in his spare time!

There's nothing like a good ol' bull session involving science fiction, war stories (about actual wars in my case and that of our collective ancestors, other family, and friends), and other topics so It's-Geek-to-Me that if we hadn't been sitting six blocks from the Googleplex, we might be suspected of being alien targets of the Men in Black. We wound up talking about all sorts of aspects of nuclear physics, astronomy, aeronautics, torpedoes (not necessarily just the naval kind), and other Really Cool Stuff that not even the writers and technical consultants for "The Big Bang Theory" TV show would discuss so casually.

The moral of the story is to start organizing Jams in your own neighborhood ... and plan the location and time to coincide with Eben attending a nearby event ... or just be lucky like we were! :D Thanks again so much for everything Eben!

DiC Jam Special Scheduling Notice: the May Jam will occur the same weekend as the Maker Faire at the San Mateo County Fairgrounds. So, we will instead hold the Jam as a live (possibly webcasted) event at the Faire. I hope we can wrangle Eben and Liz to at least stop by during that Jam since Eben will be a featured speaker at, and they will both be attending, the Faire. I will update the EventBrite web page to reflect this change.

Yet-another DiC Jam Special Notice: I am applying to Adafruit for our Jam to become an Adafruit distributor, which will provide up to a 40% discount to Jam members on Adafruit products as long as we can order at least $250 worth of products at a time. We will consolidate members' orders every month and have them shipped in time to be picked up at Jams, which should help increase attendance. Plus, if you need help with any Adafruit products, all the experts you can shake a soldering iron at will be there to help and provide advice.

See you at the museum for the next Jam on April 20th! You never know who could show up for that one! ;)