SoSLUG (Southend on Sea Linux User Group)

4 posts
by soslug » Mon May 21, 2012 1:12 pm
Hello All,

We have a successful and well attended Linux User Group based in Southend on Sea and many of us are interested in the Raspberry PI so far few of us actually have one. Our venue has recently been the subject of a brutal attack by vandals and although the fire did not damage our meeting area the buildings closure has forced us to suspend our meetings for the time being.

If you are interested in Raspberry Pi, Linux or both and feel that you can contribute please get in touch.

Temporary Art Project (TAP - Old Water Works)
North Road,
Southend on Sea,
Essex.
SS0 7AB.

Email: derek@soslug.org

Mondays from 8pm (Suspended due to fire)

Derek Shaw (SoSLUG - Chairman)
IPFreely, to weed the network demons that dwell in them their Windows!
by soslug » Wed May 23, 2012 10:10 am
11am to 8pm Saturday 30th June
Village Green 2012
Chalkwell Park,
Leigh on Sea,
Essex.

Southend on Sea Linux User Group in conjunction with Chemer Linux User Group, Metal Culture and Digital Exploration Centre are participating in a day long event, we have asked the Raspberry PI organisation if they can attend that day but this is as yet unconfirmed.

In any event SoSLUG will run a number of workshops and presentations throughout the day including a presentation on the the Raspberry PI itself, Scratch programming the Freedom Box, Arduino's lecture / demonstration and Android to name but a few of the activities lined up.

If you would like to know a bit more about the Raspberry PI why not come along, entry is free to all the attractions not just ours and will be a splendid day out for you and all children.
by soslug » Sat May 26, 2012 4:12 pm
I have today heard from Eben Upton regarding his presence at the event on the 30th June

Here is his full response

Hi Derek
Sorry for the delay in replying - as you can imagine, we're seeing a
lot of email traffic at the moment. I've passed the request on to our
other trustees, but I think at present we can't commit to being
available on 30 June (I myself am out of the country on the day).

Cheers
Eben Upton
Executive Director, Raspberry Pi Foundation

Regrettable though this response is, we will proceed with the event on the 30th and make it as enjoyable as possible for all those that might like to attend, their is perhaps a small hope someone from the foundation can be found to attend that day, I will cross my fingers.
by soslug » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:24 pm
Unfortunately SoSLUG has had to pull out of the venue at Chalkwell Parks Village Green in Leigh on Sea Essex. The venue is still a great place to spend the day from 11am till 9pm Saturday 30th July. But as a result of lack of services there will be no Raspberry PI demonstrations or Presentations