This forum… PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING.

11 posts
by Michael » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:46 pm
This forum is for announcement of distributions that are already publicly available for the Raspberry Pi or the Raspberry Pi alpha board. Please refrain from posting wishlist threads or project proposals here – the proper place for such threads is the "Projects and collaboration" general forum.

Similarly, general discussion about a distribution belongs in the General sub-forum, problems with a distribution should be raised in either the absolute beginners sub-forum or the troubleshooting sub-forum.

Please keep this sub-forum clean.
by Jessie » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:36 pm
I have edited the title of this topic.  It has always been sticky now it is sticky and in your face.  I would hate to have to start deleting topics to prove a point but this part of the forum needs to be un-cluttered.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Ric » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:44 am
I just created a table in the wiki with the features of each distribution. It's almost empty right now, but I'll try to fill it up as I learn the details of each OS. Of course, it would be awesome if the knowledgeable folks around here could lend a hand and add what they know to the table.

Thanks!
by oldtopman » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:31 pm
Michael said:

...the proper place for such threads is the "Projects and collaboration" general forum.

That link is dead, along with the subforum.
by abishur » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:39 pm
Have fixed the link, thanks for the catch.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by wolfc01 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:21 am
I've created a new topic

http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....thon-based

But is is not available yet, therefore the place of this topic is inapprpiate, sorry. Can you move it to the appropiate location?
by jamesh » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:33 am
wolfc01 said:

I've created a new topic

http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....thon-based

But is is not available yet, therefore the place of this topic is inapprpiate, sorry. Can you move it to the appropiate location?

Moved.
Raspberry Pi Engineer
Raspberry Pi Engineer
by edgarinventor » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:25 pm
Jessie said:

I have edited the title of this topic.  It has always been sticky now it is sticky and in your face.  I would hate to have to start deleting topics to prove a point but this part of the forum needs to be un-cluttered.

Don't know if this fits in or not, but if the Raspberry Pi can run Linux Mint, the Linux I'm using right now, it can also run both Wine, an embedded Windows emulator that runs the programs without Windows, and Oracle VM Virtualbox, that can run a window inside Linux that's a Windows OS, with Net links and all!
by Prometheus » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:57 pm
edgarinventor said:

Jessie said:

Don't know if this fits in or not, but if the Raspberry Pi can run Linux Mint, the Linux I'm using right now, it can also run both Wine, an embedded Windows emulator that runs the programs without Windows, and Oracle VM Virtualbox, that can run a window inside Linux that's a Windows OS, with Net links and all!

Unfortunately, that's not how it works, for several reasons. ;)

Firstly, Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu, which is a distribution that doesn't support (or, I gather, plan to support) the SoC that the Raspberry Pi uses. This said, Ubuntu is ultimately derived from Debian, and that IS available!

Secondly, WINE is short for "WINE Is Not an Emulator", and its name describes it accurately. What WINE basically does is intercept calls meant for Microsoft Windows, and translates them to the Linux equivalent. The Raspberry Pi uses the ARM architecture, whilst Microsoft Windows and all of the programs for it are for the x86 processor architecture. Since the two architectures effectively "speak a different language", WINE cannot be used on the Raspberry Pi. (I know that there are some more technical points and counterpoints to this particular topic, but my understanding is that this is how it stands right now and for the foreseeable future. To go into the nitty-gritty would likely muddy the waters and cause confusion.)

Thirdly, as per the above, my understanding is that Virtual Machines (at least on their own*) apply only to the architecture that they're running on – the Raspberry Pi uses ARM, so you won't be able to run Microsoft Windows in a VM in this way. (*I'm not going into the Qemu thing for the same reason as I didn't go into the various minutiae relating to WINE on ARM and the things surrounding it, as it's beyond the scope of what I'm writing about, here. :P )

I hope that this is informative in some fashion, and I'm sorry that it couldn't have been better news. :(
by Chromatix » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:01 pm
Well, firstly the "version" of Linux has no bearing on whether things like Wine will work.  If they work on one, they can be made to work on another too.

Secondly, both Wine and "virtualised PC" packages rely on the physical computer they run on already having a Windows-compatible x86 CPU.  The R-Pi doesn't, therefore Wine will not work and neither will virtualisation.

Thirdly, Mint is based heavily on Ubuntu, they have simply put more focused effort into the desktop environment.  It has already been well established that Ubuntu will not work on the R-Pi, therefore Mint will not either.
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.
by diereinegier » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:00 pm
Isn't it about time to have FreeBSD and NetBSD categories here?
Download my repositories at https://github.com/GeorgBisseling