OpenELEC & DarkELEC compiles

14 posts
by M3D_Compil0r » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:47 pm
Hi folks. I successfully compiled and loaded OpenELEC and DarkELEC fork on my just-received Raspberry Pi. Considering each compile took over 2hr on my i7 machine, I thought I would share them for those people who either can't compile or don't have the time. Since these are open source I merely compiled them and they are NOT my code, I take no credit for anything! Please credit the original projects available on github.com and at http://openelec.tv/ and http://darkimmortal.com/

They are compiled from the latest git for each respective project, or the commits as of 16 July 2012.

I also wrote up some instructions for simplified installation, of course using trusty ubuntu. Other distros shouldn't be too much different. I have included a great site in the install file if you wish to compile these yourself as well. If you are a Windows user - good luck!

You can download the builds from the filesharing sites listed below. I don't need or want any credit for this - just hoping my small amount of knowledge can help out someone, and we can start getting bug reports submitted/confirmed for newer commits to make XBMC on the RaspberryPi even better!
----------------------------------------------------
I tested OpenELEC for a couple hours while DarkELEC was building and the menus were very fluent. CPU usage was pegged around 80% all the time, 720p 5.1DD MKV files played fine (2.2GB file over network). Trying to exit to the menu while playing this MKV proved impossible, system was very slow until playback was stopped. My 300MB AVI files locked it up and needed a reboot.
A few audio MKV encodes never played/were garbled, but I didn't determine what kind of audio stream those had.
I booted DarkELEC to prove it would load, and its currently building my library. I never tested too far beyond that but it seems functional.

DOWNLOAD:
http://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/qj6d ... ZuzdQ1o0yQ

DarkELEC: http://www.multiupload.nl/0WMS75BV31
OpenELEC: http://www.multiupload.nl/0P2CY4P6GN

Enjoy!
by bastian94 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:49 am
what is the diffrens betwhen Openelec and Darkelec
by M3D_Compil0r » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:34 pm
They are stated on http://darkimmortal.com/

DarkELEC is OpenELEC with more 'tweaks'
From the site:

Low idle CPU usage (< 15%)
Smoother and more responsive
Built in XBMC addons: iPlayer, custom fixed version of Demand 5, various unofficial repos
iPlayer, 4oD, Demand 5, ITV Player, SportsDevil all fully tested+working
Improved wifi connectivity
Added test-connman scripts for easy wifi setup (see here)
Added wireless_tools (iwconfig etc.)
Added rndis_wlan wifi driver (broadcom 4320 chipset)
by bastian94 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:35 am
Ok
by wussie » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:41 pm
What is iLivid? I'm not sure I want to download it so I can use your compiles.

edit: nvm figured out how to download it, I hate sites that try and con you into downloading their crap with huge DOWNLOAD buttons and then hide the link for what you really wanted to download in the first place.
by coolius » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:02 am
Hi M3D,

How can flash this to my SD with windows?

There doesn't seem to be a .img file to use with Win32 Disk Imager :(
by daclina » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:46 am
Same questions as the post above. How can we flash these onto the SD - all the tutorials use .img files. Would appreciate any help.
by smuggly » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:19 pm
I'd Like To Know How To Get A Copy Of This Going To. There Is A Install File In The Download But, I Dont Get It? Thanks
by daclina » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:44 am
From one of the other posts:

You have to extract the .tar.gz file as if it were a zip file, and inside you’ll find an instructions file called “installation”. There it gives the instructions on how to install to the SD card.
by smuggly » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:41 am
Thanks
by ianbryer » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:30 pm
Great post. The DarkELEC build is great. I went to http://darkimmortal.com/ where there is a prebuilt SD card image that can be easily installed.
I am using an old TV via the composite display connector so I had to change the audio setting from HDMI to Analog as the video was being scrambled when the audio was left on HDMI :?
System -> Settings -> System -> Audio output -> Audio output - change to Analog
For my sins, I am a Mac user and have found that encoding video using HandBrake on the "normal" setting produces video files that play well on the Raspberry Pi using this build. I am getting sound only for other video formats, even though a thumbnail image from the file is being displayed.
by MadHorseman » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:36 am
Hooray! A build that does what it says on the tin...(Mainly!).

Finding the Wifi settings was interesting - now downloading quite happily.

Might try V2 later.

Congratulations.

Robin :)
by neophytte » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:02 pm
I received my RPi on Friday and managed to get the RaspBMC and then the DarkElec version working. I like the latter one as it boots straight into the program, rather than logging in (this will be for a media centre, hooked up to the TV, without kbd/mouse).

But I have a question - my RPi is the newer 512Mb model B, but the memory used is indicative that it's a 256Mb model - what do I need to change to get it to recognize the extra memory??

And a second question - it's on an 8Mb SD card, but seems to only recognize 2Mb of the card - can I expand the base FS out?

Thanks

Richard
{sig}
Pi1 [media]: Updated version Raspberry Pi (B, rev2, 512Mb), Samsung 58" Plasma (PN58C8000YFXZA), 8GB Class 6 SD Card with RaspBMC
Pi2 [webserver?]: Original Raspberry Pi (B, rev1, 256Mb), headless, 4Gb Class 6 SD Card
{/sig}
by patricijus » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:36 pm
MadHorseman wrote:Hooray! A build that does what it says on the tin...(Mainly!).

Finding the Wifi settings was interesting - now downloading quite happily.

Might try V2 later.

Congratulations.

Robin :)

hi, how u made your wifi dongle work on darkelec? i know my dongle is working on pi, because it was working on other OS with pi.

I went to programs--openelec settings--network end then tried to connect, but had no luck with that.
LAN works fine, dongle is working and suitable for PI.
only thing I am doing or typing something wrong in the wifi configuration menu,
Could u please help me