Forget Windows 8, here's Windows 95!

41 posts   Page 2 of 2   1, 2
by thekeywordgeek » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:37 pm
Wow, the thread that refuses to die!

Congratulations on getting Windows 3.1 to run, that eclipses Win95 in my book! Anyone got a copy of Windows 3.0?

I considered getting AmigaOS running, but never got round to dumping my Amiga's ROMs.
by emcsquirreled » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:19 pm
Mequa wrote:Here's my Windows 3.11 emulation on Raspbian. Minesweeper is playable. :)

Ah, Minesweeper. The only real reason for MS OSes.

While people are joking with MS OSes, does anyone have a copy of MS Bob they can try? I don't have a copy, but I believe that would be the ultimate expression of the futility of MS...
Linux -- The operating system with a CLUE (Command Line User Environment)
--
FTC Team 4508
E=MC Squirreled
emcsquirreled.github.com
by michaelmd » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:58 pm
ms-dos!

music trackers!
by pa4kw » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:12 pm
hello
I have still some 5 1/4 floppies with windows 2.0 and 1.0
*interrests to implement
??
Hans
Samuel Finley Breese Morse (April 27, 1791 – April 2, 1872) was an American inventor.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1wltc_morse-vs-sms_fun
by ghans » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:23 pm
Copy them carefully into .img files (with the UNIX tool dd)
and then run them im QEMU. :D
Random Tip : In Germany , if you own the licenses ,
you are allowed to get the copy itself from anywhere.
But don't rely on me , i'm not a lawyer. :lol:

Was a hot topic once i believe , because a German company
was buying old PCs , destroying them and reselling the Windows licenses.
The EULA wasn't completely binding it seems.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by Dave Kimble » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:53 am
I've just installed Win 3.11 in DOSBox 0.74 in Raspbian Wheezy. It's so slow I wouldn't try 95.

I don't know if DOSBox can be tuned up, but it uses 100% of the CPU cycles even when nothing is happening. With Win 3.11 running, the mouse is trapped in the DOSBox window. There must be some hot-key combo that breaks you out, but it is being used by Win7 that is controlling the headless Pi.
Ctrl-Alt-Del then ESC works.

Anyway, the best thing about DOSBox is that DOS runs QuickBasic 4.5, which is the best language ever, even if the IDE is clunky. Has anyone built FreeBasic + FBIDE for armhf ?
by Cloudcentric » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:35 am
In RiscOS there is a version of DOSBX aka FastBOX which is supposed to run better due to less overhead from the Distro......, I have never tried FastBOX !

http://www.riscos.info/index.php?title= ... and_higher
I know everything about nothing"
by Cael » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:22 am
as for dosbox, thers DosBox Turbofor android. the dev has his sources within the APK, hopefully they can be used for compiling on native linux distros instead of android (as i understand some apps while can be, some cant due to how some are written where they're dependant on calls to the android OS's Kernel or libs. DosBox Turbo by Fishstyx he has one for ARMv5l and ARMv7lthe ARMv5l should work for the Pi, since i've gotten my ARMv7l tab run teh ARMv5l vers whne i was debugging a odd crash issue .

i would post the source extracted from the APK, but considering to get the emulator you haveto puchase it so i'm not sure the dev would appricate this. i still have him on g-Talk (well gmail XD) and i'll see if he's cool with it.)
by johnweythek » Thu May 16, 2013 3:13 pm
Love that work you did with windows, can't wait to start messing with it, hope one day there is a bootable Windows Pi, Pindows? tradmarked, that one's mine, you saw it. ;)

Thanks to the community that isn't acting high and mighty. I love what you've taught me. I'm going broke from buying gadgets for prototyping with my Pi and you're all to blame, no seriously I love this new hobby. Officially addicted to this little computer. Everyone else stop with the RTFM's and make some linux friends. Don't shoot down ideas because they have no practicality. I learned to make code blink some LEDS attached to my case, I learned a lot about linux and the lights are completely useless otherwise.
by markml » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:57 am
There was plenty of useful software written for Windows 95.

Take Office 97 for instance. Still better than all the current open source alternatives, and better than modern Office versions due to lacking the ribbon (although Clippy can be annoying). Imagine doing a Powerpoint presentation from your Raspberry Pi. That alone makes this useful.

95 can still run a lot of apps, even some modern apps, thanks to MS backwards compatibility. It it the leanest and most stable Windows OS in the whole 9X series, and leaner than all the modern Windows.

If you could get this running with decent performance on a Pi, it would be useful.
by nikel » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:21 am
Hi, I have found on this
http://www.shumeipai.net/thread-350-1-1.html
run win98 with bochs
I have follow the istructions :
How to run Windows 98 on Raspberry Pi:
Install bochs and bochs-x:
sudo apt-get install bochs bochs-x
Change directory to where the bochs config and hd image file are:
cd win98
Load this configuration in Bochs and make sure to change the hard drive cylinders, heads etc.
in the config if you have created your own hard drive image.
Make sure the hard drive image (Win98HD.img) is in the same directory as the config file!
Run bochs and load the configuration file called:
Windows98Config.bxrc
Then run the simulation.

It stop with the message :
bochs-bin: symbol lookup error

Does anyone know the meaning
Attachments
Cattura_17.jpg
Cattura_17.jpg (59.91 KiB) Viewed 1128 times
by TechyBen » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:38 am
"I can think of no practical application for Windows 95 on a Pi, but it is not impossible that perhaps someone might have to run a piece of legacy DOS software somewhere and might find Bochs a useful means to do it."

Well, I'd kind of agree. But I'm currently looking at using a Pi to run (either emulated, recompiled or ported) DOS games. So push into Win95 territory too. But I might have to skip those. :(
by ghans » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:41 pm
For DOS Software i'd use FastDosBox (Linux or RiscOS) or
rpix86. They have been specificially optimized for the Pi ,
whereas Bochs is very generic and slow (it doesn't do dynamic
recompilation AFAIK).

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by escribblings » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:23 pm
I'd be interested as to which OS runs FastDosBox better - I would tip my hat in the direction of RISCos, but I have been wrong before.

I might have to have a go sometime ;)
by walkitinkid » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:45 pm
actually, what i think is interesting about installing an OS using Bochs or QEMU, would be the ability to run a FULL x86 linux distro. I mean dont get me wrong raspbian is AMAZING but to be able to not have to worry about whether so-and-so has been has been rewritten for the arm processor is priceless. the library of x86 software for linux vastly outweighs arms offerings.
by blamarpa » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:46 pm
Nice, 95 and nt4
Wath a lot of memory! Had you try using a ramdisk? :lol:
I will try how quick is my autocad for DOS drawin the Columbia. Does it supports Hercules? :lol:
WHERE HAVE I PUT MY 5,25' DISKS and Peter Norton books!!!? :roll: