When and if not where?

23 posts
by matthewtb » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:46 pm
Where is the download for RISCOS????? Or when is it scheduled to release?
Excited about it coming to R-Pi!!!!
by svrsig » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:16 pm
Where is the download for RISCOS?????

Although RISC OS on the Pi is still really 'pre-alpha' you can see what a RISC OS distro might look like. This is a zipped 2Gbyte SD card image which is just 38 Mbytes in size and should be unzipped (using WinZip or 7zip) and then written to an SD card using Win32DI.

The Pi should then boot up into the RISC OS desktop within 29 seconds from power on.

The code within RISCOS which operates the SD Card filing system is rather new and only works with some cards (hence the 'pre-alpha' warning) but if you choose the right card and have a DHCP network connected then it should start with no errors with the necessary boot structure held within the RAM filing system.

This is pre-alpha so unsupported at this stage. The desktop display is currently fixed at 1920x1080 so you need a monitor that can display at that resolution. Also there's no tutorial yet but there is a little free software. There is also no sound under RISCOS at present.

Here's the pre-ALPHA distro: http://www.svrsig.org/RISCOS_Distro.zip

You should see a start up screen like this: Image
full size image http://www.svrsig.org/scn1.jpg
and then a desktop like this:
full size image http://www.svrsig.org/scn10.jpg

The official distribution is not yet ready but you can follow its development on the RISC OS Open web site http://www.riscosopen.org

Have fun!
by svrsig » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:21 pm
Well just in case of doubt, here it is, using a Sandisk Extreme III 2Gbyte SD card. You can see power on at 5 seconds, the RISC OS Supervisor at 15 seconds. It then starts booting from the SD card and by 38 seconds it is waiting for an IP address from the DHCP server and by 45 seconds it has started up into the RISC OS GUI desktop. (It boots up a little more quickly if you have a pen drive as it does not need to copy, decompress and move the boot structure.)

Here it is in video: http://youtu.be/wdOKjAsZ4Do
by AlArenal » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:12 pm
Thank also for the image! Felt really great to have it running. The speed is really impressing given the fact it is not using acceleration and compared to LXDE. Of course it is buggy. The cursor leaves traces, programs crash and I have to try a couple of times in a row until it will boot. But it's a start and a very promising one :)

Someone knows how to create an image with the ROM FS and its apps?
by svrsig » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:06 am
Someone knows how to create an image with the ROM FS and its apps?

I think the ROM FS is long gone. If you click over the 'Apps' icon you will see the 'Resources:apps' folder and clicking with adjust over the close icon will show the 'Resources:' filing system. When building a ROM, extra files can be included in here quite simply.
by AlArenal » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:41 pm
svrsig wrote:I think the ROM FS is long gone. If you click over the 'Apps' icon you will see the 'Resources:apps' folder and clicking with adjust over the close icon will show the 'Resources:' filing system. When building a ROM, extra files can be included in here quite simply.

Is there some kind of Howto somewhere to show how to add apps to the image?
by svrsig » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:30 pm
Is there some kind of Howto

At the moment it is alpha. Getting tutorials together and other resources is in hand.

However there is a lot of RISC OS software free to download - all you need to do is copy it to where the filer can see it (plus any other instructions that are with the sortware).
by adlambert » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:04 am
It's quite difficult to get hold of SANDisk Extreme III 2GB SD cards, so can anyone recommend SD cards that are suitable for the alpha image?
My current one isn't, and I'm desperate to get away from linux on the Pi!
by BrokenFrog » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:24 am
Works really well for me on a Transcend Class 6 4GB card. No problems reading and booting, and no problems writing either!
by adlambert » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:41 am
BrokenFrog wrote:Works really well for me on a Transcend Class 6 4GB card. No problems reading and booting, and no problems writing either!

Thanks,
It seems that most Transcends work well with the Pi, and the one you mention is very cheap so I will order a few.
by Matteo » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:07 am
Hi,
i have tried the alpha riscos image in this forum and risc os forum,but when i decompress it i get a corrupted image error.
Anyone can upload a working image?

Thanks
by svrsig » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:12 am
i have tried the alpha riscos image in this forum and risc os forum,but when i decompress it i get a corrupted image

The download is 27Mbytes in zipped form but the image inside is 240Mbytes so your best bet is to download the zip file and use 7zip (for Windows) to extract the image file. The image file then needs to be written to an SD card using Win32DiskImager (under Windows). What are you using to decompress it? Have you checked the CRC and/or md5sum of the extracted image?
by Matteo » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:33 pm
Hi,
i have download again the image and now it loads but when i get the * and write !Run Boot i get drive is empty. Any suggestion?

Thanks
by pygmy_giant » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:19 pm
wait for a stable release?
Ostendo ignarus addo scientia.
by svrsig » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:13 pm
i have download again the image and now it loads but when i get the * and write !Run Boot i get drive is empty. Any suggestion?

At the '*' prompt, you are actually running RISC OS but (most probably) the particular SD card you are using is one that RISC OS is unable to read from. It sees it as 'not present' and so is unable to boot from it. The 3 Jul 2012 distro is actually very tolerant of a large range of SD cards (and so this failure is unexpected - what brand of card are you using?). To eliminate any other issues, type '*SDFS' and then '*CAT' before typing '*Run !Boot' and see what you get. If it is still 'drive empty' then the only suggestion is that you try a different SD card - cheap ones now seem to work OK under RISC OS.

The current release (3 July) although 'alpha' is fairly stable. Sound is not yet working and the display size is fixed at 1920x1080 - both are being worked on. Neither of these is a major hinderance. There is now an open-source browser already included. If you do not have a DHCP hetwork connected then setting the clock is currently rather tedious (a temporary issue that is entirely my fault (the new utility to do this is not yet included) - it otherwise gets it from the internet on start up) and the boot process waits for the DHCP server (it can easily be re-configured to expect no network).
by adlambert » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:15 pm
I love this 3rd July release, working quite nicely now.
RISCOS is everything I thought the Pi should be, after the disappointment of the very sluggish LXDE on the Debian release, this is like a breath of fresh air with a good serving of computing nostalgia too.

Seems that RISCOS is ideally suited to the Pi and I look forward to seeing how it develops. Well done everyone involved, you've put the fun back into it all!
by pygmy_giant » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:26 pm
Now I feel like I'm missing out - might have to buy a transcend SD card
Ostendo ignarus addo scientia.
by svrsig » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:46 pm
Now I feel like I'm missing out - might have to buy a transcend SD card

I bought several cheap 2G and 4G SD cards at Maplin (£3 or £4 each) and they seem to work with the 3 July distro (but not with earlier ones as improved SD card drivers, both in firmware and RISC OS have been included). Haven't found one that doesn't work on the 3 July distro yet...
by Matteo » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:40 am
Hi,
i have tried with a 2GB sd card and now RISC OS boots and load the desktop. The only issue i have found is that when i use netsurf and scroll the page the pointer of mouse duplicate over the screen like fragmentation i think. Is this bug of alpha release, or is my raspberry pi that have problems or the sd card is too slow?

:cry:
by AlArenal » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:59 am
It's a well-known bug this alpha has since day one.
by Chromatix » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:59 am
I got the latest version running today. It's good to see the old familiar desktop - or something closely resembling it - on something that I don't have to plug an unreliable serial ball mouse into to use.

I note there are still a number of hardware support wrinkles to iron out - the sound and the hardware mouse cursor, for two.

But here's one you might not be aware of - the framebuffer seems to be accessed without any caching. This makes a modified version of Eben's little demo (from a couple of days ago) run much slower than my 30MHz RiscPC runs it, because it can only scroll at 6 lines per second (corresponding to 50MB/s or 12.5 Mpix/s copying). It is also probably why the desktop doesn't feel as tight as it should do.

Another wrinkle is that the background of the console is not true black, suggesting that the output is being converted to reduced dynamic range mode (typically used for videos). This uses only levels 16-240 instead of 0-255, and is very visible on the monitor I'm currently using, which is bigger than what the R-Pi can drive natively.

So what's the situation there?
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.
by svrsig » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:49 pm
modified version of Eben's little demo (from a couple of days ago)

What demo please?
by Chromatix » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:30 am
This one: http://t.co/hKrnY4KZ - to which you have to add *FX 20,1 otherwise the @ character won't redefine.

It runs perfectly fine on a real RiscPC if you insert WAIT commands in the loops (for vsync), otherwise it is too fast (like running games written for 8086 on a Pentium). I refactored the loop bodies into a PROC, but that's just me.

Further modifications are needed to make it run sensibly on the R-Pi under the alpha RiscOS, simply because it can't change to Mode 2. I made equivalent changes to the version on the real RiscPC, which can't drive that high a resolution (at least on my old AKF-60). As a rule of thumb there are two coordinate points per pixel and eight pixels per character cell, so use that to calculate which numbers to put in - or just omit the vertical position from the TAB clause and let it search down by itself.

Hot tip: use MODE MODE to use a black background at desktop resolution, whatever that may be.

The key point is that it needs to scroll by a line every frame. The other things it does per frame is draw an 8x8 sprite and a line in random colours. Those don't seem to be the bottlenecks, only the scrolling, which is typical for having to read an uncached framebuffer.
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.