Has anyone tried the RISCOS Development ROM yet?

9 posts
by ukscone » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:59 pm
Has anyone actually tried the development rom from https://www.riscosopen.org/content/down ... r-zipfiles yet?

if yes how alpha is it? worth having a mess around with it yet?
by jimaz » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:41 pm
I have not tried it myself, but I am following the progress in this thread: http://www.riscosopen.org/forum/forums/9/topics/997

It seems usb + ethernet is working, main issues are related to the graphics, bottom part of screen gets cut off.

/ Jim
by svrsig » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:29 pm
It seems usb + ethernet is working, main issues are related to the graphics, bottom part of screen gets cut off.

USB keyboard, USB mouse, USB pen drive, Ethernet are indeed working (some minor issues but nothing significant such as mouse occasionally 'dead' after boot needing reboot). The screen resolution is currently fixed at 1920x1080 and other screen modes are being worked on. The bottom 5% or so of the screen is not visible but a work around has been identified (which currently means you would have to compile your own rom with this fix). But the RISC OS image was only released as a pre-alpha a few days ago (6th June) and so it is not unexpected that it has some issues.

Artworks (a vector graphic editor) is working for example.
by ukscone » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:35 pm
great. probably not worth a newbie at riscos grabbing it yet then even just for a mess around but maybe soon
by mahjongg » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:57 pm
Now I'm getting anxious that I don't actually have I PI yet, I'm dying to try this!
I remember wanting to buy an Archimedes PC badly, but it was simply outside my budget so I ended up with a Amiga 500 instead (not that that was a bad machine, to the contrary).
I think, (and hope) that the marriage between the PI and Risc OS (RiscOS) might revive this old OS, as it seems to be a "marriage made in heaven". It could be the opportunity to make this OS "all new" again.
by trevj » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:52 am
mahjongg wrote:I remember wanting to buy an Archimedes PC badly, but it was simply outside my budget so I ended up with a Amiga 500 instead (not that that was a bad machine, to the contrary).

My brother did exactly the same, and I'm sure he doesn't have the time to mess around with a Raspberry Pi now. With hindsight, we should've clubbed together and bought an Archimedes, but it'd have been difficult to share as I left for uni a couple of years later.
by svrsig » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:54 am
Well here's proof someone has tried this development ROM.

This shows a Raspberry Pi in a clear plastic case running Artworks at 1920x1080 resolution (just with a bit of icon bar missing - this is being worked on). Also present are a Beagleboard XM in a plastic case (far left) and a Pandaboard ES (next to it in a white case) which also both run RISC OS with a support scheme available from an 'interactive' RISC OS dealer.

The full picture is here http://www.svrsig.org/HK008.jpg (935kbytes)
by pygmy_giant » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:49 am
will it utilise the Pi's rumoured hard float capability?
Ostendo ignarus addo scientia.
by ukscone » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:55 am
pygmy_giant wrote:.the Pi's rumoured hard float capability?

nothing rumoured about it. the RPi DOES have hardware floating point. whether OS/SW uses it is another matter