RISC OS on Raspberry Pi

357 posts   Page 12 of 15   1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
by svrsig » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:50 pm
Did you plug in a network cable???? if not just hit the escape then you will get to the desktop.

The latest alpha distro will now time out (20s or so) if there is no network cable (or no DHCP server) so there is no longer any need to press 'Escape'. Obviously with no network cable, then there is no network!
by Grumpy Mike » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:13 am
I have a problem of repeating keys, and missing keystrokes when I connect the keyboard through a hub. Direct connection however works fine.
Where should I report this?
by Grumpy Mike » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:04 pm
Well sometimes the repeat keys problem hits even when directly connected to the USB port, that is not through a hub.
Also does any one know where I can get a copy of a template editor that will work. I downloaded !WinEd but get a "Task not known" error.
It has been over 10 years since I used RISCOS so I am a bit rusty at the moment.
by Silvershadow » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:00 am
Why not stay at the 200MB SD-Card-Image?
===================================

It's faster to burn and copy new versions if the file is shorter.
200MB/2GB is 1/10 = 10 times faster.
And i also can use my old 256MB-SDcards :mrgreen:

As long as it's alpha state, it means often to change and rewrite the SD-Cards... :ugeek:
by Raeddie » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:17 pm
Sandgrounder wrote:The biggest problem, so far, is that the SocketFS module by Roger Gammans (Aug 1997) does not work. This is very useful for sending short messages between a number of Risc OS computers. It works on an original Acorn Risc PC (Risc OS 3.6, 3.7 and upgraded to 4.01) and on Virtual Acorn (also 4.01).

The archive at http://www.drobe.co.uk/archives//ftp.mirror.ac.uk/collections/hensa-micros/local/riscos/internet/socketfs.zip contains the source, so all that needed is someone with the time, knowledge and the tools to make it 32bit- and ARMv6-safe.
by cutterjohn » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:12 pm
This is pretty nice, and I always wanted to try RISC OS, but I found their hw prices a bit high(many years ago and the exchange rate was high on top) and then I wasn't sure about their PSU(120/240 switching, or failing that IF they used standard mb connectors->a different replacement PSU, etc.)

I figure that this is the closes I'll get to an actual Riscpc unless I end up picking up a Pandora and/or Beagleboard at some point.

Still a little rough around the edges, but it was MUCH easier to work with when using a mouse that actually had a middle button.

BTW: is the shutdown command from the task menu erroring out a known bug? It happened to me when I was able to use it(menu button available). Pi looked to be shutdown, net down, only red light(PWR) on but it was still putting out the error dialog box which I have since forgotten what is said.

Also noticed that I couldn't get RISC OS to boot IF arm-freq=900, but booted fine at 800. Raspbian seems pretty stable for me at 900 and sdram 500 while 950 crashes the kernel.

(Can't check again right now as I made the mistake of putting the RISC OS image on an 8GB card and raspbian on a 2GB card so I'm in the process of switching that around as I don't think that RISC OS is likely to ever fill up the 2GB card while raspbian was already groaning on a 2GB card, even my 8GB card is a bit on the sad side... This is raspbian right now.)
by theom » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:08 pm
I don't think anyone's tried overclocking RPis running RISC OS, so you might be on virgin territory there...

I don't know what build you're running, but shutdown has been fixed in recent days (so if you hit 'reboot', it does, while previously it just crashed)
by cutterjohn » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:30 pm
theom wrote:I don't think anyone's tried overclocking RPis running RISC OS, so you might be on virgin territory there...

I don't know what build you're running, but shutdown has been fixed in recent days (so if you hit 'reboot', it does, while previously it just crashed)
I was running the image from latish July, and haven't tried it since as I'm waiting for the hw mouse pointer version. (The uSD that it was running from(8GB) ended up getting sacrificed for my main Raspbian card anyways as a 2GB was NOT NEARLY enough for the full raspbian distro(c. 300M free) but I expect that it'll be plenty for RISC OS.)

OC: well, I OC'ed as raspbian was well, let's say sluggish, and 900MHz helped that out quite a bit(950MHz failed for me w/no OV and a 5V 1A PSU, kernel crashed during boot), so I tried out that for RISC OS and well that was a fail and so just fell back to 800 w/o trying anything in between.

Middle mouse button: I remembered reading on the wiki somewhere that apparently some images have a setting to change the mb mappings so that rb can be mapped to menu however it appeared to be missing from the rpi image(7/22 IIRC or around there). I'm hoping this gets added in eventually along with kb key modifiers for 2 button mice. (At this point I switched over to borrowing my new desktop's mouse with a scroll wheel that also acts as a 3rd (middle)button.)

Shutdown: that's good, as I wasn't sure whether or not just pulling power was going to corrupt something on the image. Apparently it didn't as I booted it again with a 3 button mouse which made it MUCH more useful(menus are handy). Then the uSD was sacrificed to raspbian...

So at this point I'm just waiting to see what happens and when hw mouse gets added and how all the fits about including sw packages in the pre-built images works out.

Yes, I go browse the particular thread in the riscosopen forum every once in a while, but for now I've been more interested in getting various emulators and so forth compiling and running under raspbian, or at least the ones that have received little apparent attention ATM.
by thradtke » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:20 pm
Grumpy Mike wrote:Well sometimes the repeat keys problem hits even when directly connected to the USB port, that is not through a hub.

Mike, were you able to resolve or track down the problem? A little OT here, but I have the same problem on Raspbian, but striking only when running LXDE. No other computer, no matter what OS, does have a problem with that keyboard. It really drives me nuts.
Full-time noob forever.
by Grumpy Mike » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:00 pm
On the Linux platforms this keyboard problem is caused by the USB driver dropping packages. I am assured by several people it is being worked on.

So it might be the same driver for RISC OS. The thing was that the keyboard I used didn't show repeat keys on the last two Linux distros. It was my Apple keyboard that gave problems. This was fine on the Arch distro but that was not the one I wanted to use due to my neophyte status.
I was surprised when it appeared on RISC OS. I got round it by connecting the keyboard direct to the Pi and the mouse through a powered hub.
by thradtke » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:30 pm
Grumpy Mike wrote:I got round it by connecting the keyboard direct to the Pi and the mouse through a powered hub.

Not an option to me, as my keyboard sacrifices 100mW for its LEDs alone, but thanks for the information someone cares about the problem!
Full-time noob forever.
by xChris » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:01 pm
I have too problems with USB keyboard (in fact its a PS2 kbd on a ps2->USB adaptor) on *any* Linux distro I used on RPi (the USB adaptor is even connected to a 2.5A powered hub).

I thought its a problem with the RPi, but I don't have such issues running RISCOS (the main OS of my RPi)
by Grumpy Mike » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:16 pm
thradtke wrote:Not an option to me, as my keyboard sacrifices 100mW for its LEDs alone

You can always bypass the poly fuses with a wire link connected back to the main board's input poly fuse.
by Burngate » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:39 pm
I was thinking of starting a new thread, but chickened out, so I'll ask here instead.

How do I get the latest image? The one I'm using is now a few weeks old, and I tried looking for a more recent one, but all I can find are files without most of the works.

Anyone thinking of starting to use RISC OS will want the latest, all singing and dancing version, with the latest firmware, and they'll want one place to go - a one-stop-shop. A sticky with a pointer to the download would be good, rather than "go and wander round riscoscode.com and RISC OS Open.org and you might find what you want if you're lucky"

EDIT I wondered if the main wiki would be a good place to put a pointer, but that's a bit Linux-oriented, and they might not like us there!
Wyszkowski's Second Law: Anything can be made to work if you fiddle with it long enough.
Brain surgery is easier than psychoanalysis
by thradtke » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:29 pm
Grumpy Mike wrote:
thradtke wrote:Not an option to me, as my keyboard sacrifices 100mW for its LEDs alone

You can always bypass the poly fuses with a wire link connected back to the main board's input poly fuse.

I'm glad I did :-). You saved my project (twice).

Thanks.
Full-time noob forever.
by squat251 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:14 pm
See the thing that has continually stunted my growth in unix/linux systems (ubuntu, kubuntu, debian, and a couple of others) has been the whole download/install thing. What I mean by that (since I'm sure its sooo clear) is that having used a windows OS for every computer except the powermac's we had when I was in elementary school I am used to downloading stuff from a website, unraring (or zipping) it and double clicking on it. All the linux OS's I have used are more difficult to do that with.

I like the application downloader in ubuntu and debian, but it often doesn't have something I am looking for, and doesn't support all the other user created stuff. But admittedly I never had anyone who was fluent in these systems to show me what to do, and its a lot harder to figure out solo than windows was.

The only tutorials I seem unable to read through, btw, are the ones for linux systems.
by NigelJK » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:19 am
Got my Raspberry on Tuesday. Waiting for a couple of SD cards to arrive.

My story is a long one so I wont bore you but the short and sweet version is:

Sinclair Cambridge Programmable -> ZX81 -> BBC B (courtesy of the local department store which I would programme until one of the salesmen kicked me out.) -> Teaching Comp Sci using Torch Unicorn BBC B's with Z80 secondprocessors running CPN (network version of CPM) + others -> IBM PC XT programming in BASICA -> 20+ years as freelance software author by day rabid Acorn fan by night (my RPC still 'keeps' my accounts and still runs everything.

That's the micro side of things anyway.

@squat251 - you'll love Risc OS then as most apps are small enough to 'just' download. They can then be copied straight to the storage drive and run (larger downloads are zipped, but it's the same principle). Never did understand why some makers wanted all that other crap in there (MSI's are the work of the devil, Apple is 'friendlier' but you still have to get your head around mounting first).

Anyone tried Acorn Replay yet?
by svrsig » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:47 pm
How do I get the latest image?

Still in alpha but it shouldn't be long before a beta version is available.

The booting up process is now much nicer to watch see here http://www.svrsig.org/images/PiBoot.gif:

by Burngate » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:03 pm
Just as a heads-up, I've just dropped the latest start.elf etc. onto my RISC OS card, and it still works!

Can't try the audio for various reasons, but I assume RISC OS can use the new tweaks.
Do we have the latest usb tweaks available? And will we get turbo_mode?
And when is beta due?
Wyszkowski's Second Law: Anything can be made to work if you fiddle with it long enough.
Brain surgery is easier than psychoanalysis
by 0117blocky » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:06 pm
I have also tested the latest riscos.img with start.elf created date 18/9/12. The desktop boots up with a screen resolution of 640,480 with 16 colours and the only screen resolution option which is available I can use is 800,600 with 16million colours. Are you planning to add some more (higher) 4:3 aspect ratio resolutions?

The loading screen, I can not read the bootup sequence in the little black panel, so for me it's pointless sorry to say. It would be better to inform me in larger text where the boot log file is.
by sawdust » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:46 am
0117blocky wrote:I have also tested the latest riscos.img with start.elf created date 18/9/12. The desktop boots up with a screen resolution of 640,480 with 16 colours and the only screen resolution option which is available I can use is 800,600 with 16million colours. Are you planning to add some more (higher) 4:3 aspect ratio resolutions?

The loading screen, I can not read the bootup sequence in the little black panel, so for me it's pointless sorry to say. It would be better to inform me in larger text where the boot log file is.

You don't say if you are using the latest !Boot application or even any !Boot at all. Are you using the alpha distro or only booting a rom you have dowdloaded on it's own?

Sawdust.
by 0117blocky » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:55 am
I am using the rom image from rool's rom image releases page dated 19/9/12.
It also was the same with rom image dated 18/9/19.
I replaced the start.elf and riscos.img in the alpha distro dated 8/8/12 with them.
by sawdust » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:05 pm
0117blocky wrote:I am using the rom image from rool's rom image releases page dated 19/9/12.
It also was the same with rom image dated 18/9/19.
I replaced the start.elf and riscos.img in the alpha distro dated 8/8/12 with them.

To be able to select anything else other than the default screen resolution, you need to have a mode definition file selected. To do this you need a !Boot application installed on your hard disc/SD card.

Since you have been using the alpha distro, you will have one on your SD card. However I believe recent changes in the development ROM require you to also update your !Boot app as well as the ROM image.

Sawdust.
by 0117blocky » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:03 am
I will keep this short are there any plans to include higher screen resolutions for monitors with an aspect ratio of 4:3?
by sawdust » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:16 am
0117blocky wrote:I will keep this short are there any plans to include higher screen resolutions for monitors with an aspect ratio of 4:3?

Short is good! Yes. It already does support these. You have a problem with your configuration.
Seek help at the ROOL forum.

Sawdust.