error on boot

20 posts
by BadWolf1959 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:51 pm
Ok, first off understand I've NEVER seen a RISCOS before...ok?

So, being the risk taking (no pun intended) soul that I am I immediately re-purposed my original 4GB sd card from raspbian to image RISCOS.

Everything went as it should AFAICT, and I happily slung my Pi together and plugged it in, the good news is it booted, the bad news is it gives me an error message of

"message from desktop......machine startup has not completed successfully: "the disk drive is empty"

(^^refer back to my first statement^^)
WHAT DOES IT WANT???
If my former sig offended you I am sorry...it was a quote from Douglas Adams - HHGTTG
by BadWolf1959 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:32 pm
No love??
Tryed rewriting the image on the SD card..same thing!
Anybody have a suggestion??
If my former sig offended you I am sorry...it was a quote from Douglas Adams - HHGTTG
by theom » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:38 pm
That means it can't see the RISC OS partition on your SD card. Perhaps there was a problem writing it in some way? Maybe RISC OS doesn't like your SD card for some reason? How are you writing the card, and have you tried another?
by Joe Schmoe » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:46 pm
theom wrote:That means it can't see the RISC OS partition on your SD card. Perhaps there was a problem writing it in some way? Maybe RISC OS doesn't like your SD card for some reason? How are you writing the card, and have you tried another?

FWIW, I had this same problem earlier. The problem is definitely due to the card not being written correctly. In my case, I am 98% sure that if I have done "sync" (a few times) before shutting down (when I was writing the image to the card), it would have been OK.

P.S. The command I use to write the card is:

unzip -cq /path/to/riscos...zip '*.img' > /dev/sda

As I said, make sure you do 'sync' after that - especially if it seems to run quickly (like less than 5 minutes).
Never answer the question you are asked. Rather, answer the question you wish you had been asked.

- Robert S. McNamara - quoted in "Fog of War" -
by BadWolf1959 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:13 am
Joe, thanks for the reply. Im going to guess you use DD to write your SD images??

I dont, I'm a Window$ luser that knows little of any Linux, and so I'm using the windows image writing thing that is offered on the downloads page.....havent noticed anything on it about sync!

If there's anything else you can think of for me to try I'm all ears, for now however I'm just going to handg out on my Windows box and not worry about it.

After thought............no I dont have another SD card to try, thanks again!!

Wolf
by flyinghappy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:50 am
Did you try re-downloading the file and writing the image? Could have been a bad download.
Pi with ArchLinux running a minidlna/samba home server
by BadWolf1959 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:32 pm
flyinghappy wrote:Did you try re-downloading the file and writing the image? Could have been a bad download.

I checked the hash on it after i downloaded, it checked out ok....but maybe theres an update by now that i can try?
by ukscone » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:02 pm
are you using a USB SDcard reader/writer or one built in to your desktop? If you are using a builtin one try using a USB one.

Before your next attempt at a successful write try wiping the card using the sd card formatter https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/ and under options select full (Overwrite) & Format Size Adjustment On

Do you have any problems writing the linux images?
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Joe Schmoe » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:11 pm
BadWolf1959 wrote:
flyinghappy wrote:Did you try re-downloading the file and writing the image? Could have been a bad download.

I checked the hash on it after i downloaded, it checked out ok....but maybe theres an update by now that i can try?

It is unlikely that the problem is a bad download - since you will usually catch this when you try to unpack the file (certainly, "unzip" will generate an error message when you try to unpack it). In any case, I usually do a "test" operation (the specifics of which vary by which archiver/compressor is being used) on the downloaded file before doing anything else.

It is far more likely that either:

1) An (uncaught) error occured while writing to the SD card.
2) You downloaded the wrong file.

My point is that #2 above is much more likely that wrongly downloading the right file.
Never answer the question you are asked. Rather, answer the question you wish you had been asked.

- Robert S. McNamara - quoted in "Fog of War" -
by cgozzarf » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:44 pm
Also having the same problem. SDA 1 hash check works out so can't be a download problem. Would love to get RISC OS going... Some great memories.. Please can you help? Using the internal SD card reader but tried an other laptop with no joy. Any ideas? chris
by theom » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:27 pm
Assuming RISC OS boots to some degree, once you've got to the desktop press F12 and type:
*SDIODevices

If your SD card is OK but badly written, it should show up. If RISC OS can't talk to it at all, it'll report no cards.
by BadWolf1959 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:56 pm
Ive been seeing alot of stuff that seems to lead to the idea that RISC expects a 2GB card,
I'm using a 4GB card.
Now I'm wondering if the other people having this problem are on a 2GB or a 4GB card??

BTW I've looked around, there is nowhere local to me that I can get a 2GB card!
by Ibanezjem » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:58 am
The size of the card shouldn't be a problem. The image will only use the first 2Gb of a card. I use a couple of 2Gb MicroSD cards in adapters, some 4Gb cards and an 8Gb card. I haven't had a problem with any of these and RISCOS.

To write them, I have a desktop PC with a built-in card reader running Windows7. I use Win32DiskImager to write the image to the card, and that's it.
Where are you getting your image from? Try the official one from http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads if you aren't already.

Try https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/0.6/0.6/+download/win32diskimager-binary.zip forWin32DiskImager
by tony1tf » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:26 am
Hi folks

I have been posting under the subject "Boot file lost after setting up Internet", but I thought it was better to keep posting on the above topic to generalise it more.
I am looking for suggestions as to how to get round the problems I experienced of losing the RiscOS (Acorn Filing System) partition on the SD card, which results in the following error:

Message from Desktop
Machine startup has not completed successfully 'File '&.!BOOT' not found!'

Then if you cancel this it boots up with the small ROM image loaded from the FAT portion of the SD card in a low resolution screen with only the basic RiscOS functions available. The screen can be expanded to fill an HDMI monitor.
This has now happened to me twice - once after initial booting and setting up Internet, and secondly when trying to copy a 128MB file from a 4GB USB stick to the Acorn filing system (the remaining 1.6GB or so on the SD card).
So my questions are:
Is there an SD card which is guaranteed not to get corrupted by the R Pi and RiscOS?
Are their R Pi settings which will be more stable (I am only using the slowest most basic)?
What is the best way to fix a corrupted Acorn partition without re-flashing the whole card, since all work gets lost, unless you keep taking the SD card out and 'dd' copying?
A similar question - If I copy the filing system to a memory stick - presumably formatted with AcornFS, is their a way to restore it to a corrupt system?
As well as answers, please reply if you have this problem and dont know what to do.
Tony
by Ibanezjem » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:48 am
Just a thought, I don't know if it matters or is relevant, but are you using new SD cards, or ones that have been used before?

I seem to recall there may have been an issue with some cards not being fully re-formatted with some systems and the usable size went down gradually. This may result in things being put in the wrong place on the card. Not normally important, but may be in this case. Maybe someone with more knowledge can help on this.

There is an application on RacyPi Distro for PCs that I have used to look at partitions and move or delete them.
I used a Live CD version I downloaded from somewhere a while ago, so normal PC not affected afterwards.

since all work gets lost

If you don't have a spare USB slot, you may be able to remove the keyboard, or mouse as necessary at the time, insert a memory stick and use the mouse to save anything and restore it later. Not ideal, but should work. You can find a formatting tool under Utilities.Caution.!HForm.
As I'm swapping different SD cards and reflashing occasionally, I have a USB stick always plugged in and save anything I want to come back to, there.
by tony1tf » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:02 pm
Hi Ibanezjem

Interesting stuff on old card possible probIems - I was using an old 2GB "Traveller" SD card out of an Aldi camera - it gave problems when I had power supply and hub problems originally on Linux, but I didn think the card was faulty. I am just off to get an 8GB class 10 card to see if it is more stable. I also have a 16GB Linux card but I want to keep that separate from RiscOS.
RiscOS uses so little space, it would perhaps also be possible to use old 32MB and 512MB cards etc, but I dont know how to cut down the 2GB image to the smaller card size - presumably the directory info would be all wrong if a "dd" image copy just ran off the end.

Tony
by Ibanezjem » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:25 pm
My understanding is, that to get the Pi to boot initially and then RISCOS to also boot from the same SD card, certain things need to be in specific places. A decision was made to set it at 2G as this is adequate for most uses and people may have a couple of old ones knocking around that they don't mind trying.

Prior to this, Pi booted up on SD card, then RISCOS booted from a separate ADFS formatted USB drive, and I think 2G was the formatting limit at the time.

In order to make things simple for the end user, the FAT partition the Pi first reads is also linked from the ADFS partition under !Boot.LOADER. Having thought I was being clever, I made a smaller LOADER, copied the files into it and replaced the original under RISCOS. When I changed some CONFIG.TXT settings, they didn't take effect. Looking on PC shows there is no change. My assumption is under RISCOS the LOADER I see is in a new place and there is no reference to the original. Time for a Re-Flash! Using the partition utility on RacyPi to resize or move partitions about also messes things up.

I think the facility to make full use of larger cards is being worked on.

Please correct me if any of the above is not right, I'm not 100% sure.
by svrsig » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:37 pm
My assumption is under RISCOS the LOADER I see is in a new place and there is no reference to the original.

On the SD card image, the space reserved for the first (RISC OS) partition in the partition tables (RISC OS knows nothing about partition tables) extends only so far as the next partition (otherwise it would confuse partitioning software). The second (FAT) partition contains the boot files.

Under RISC OS, the SDFS has been formatted larger than the partition tables suggest for the first partition - in fact it includes both partitions (as far as RISC OS is ocncerned). The directory entry for the file !Boot.Loader has been carefully arranged so that the DOS image file that this entry points to actually maps exactly onto the FAT partition. Copying it will simply produce another DOS image file that no longer points to the FAT partition. Deleting the file !Boot.Loader would be unwise as it protects the area of the FAT partition from use by SDFS other than by writing to or reading from the DOS image file (and therefore the FAT partition).
by Ibanezjem » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:54 pm
I thought it was something like that. You explain it so much better! :)
by trevj » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:32 pm
Cross-posted to "Symptom: RISC OS not recognising its partition" under 'Troubleshooting':
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=22502