RISC OS on Raspberry Pi

357 posts   Page 9 of 15   1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15
by pygmy_giant » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:21 am
good work - look forward to post-alpha release
Ostendo ignarus addo scientia.
by svrsig » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:27 am
Seems one of my 2GB SD cards only has 3862528 sectors available regardless of formatting choice.

The Distro is now just 21Mbytes and requires 3855600 sectors and so should fit most 2G cards.

Updated to latest firmware.
by hayesey » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:06 pm
That lastest image doesn't seem to be working for me. It only boots to command line and any command just seems to give a disk error. I have to be honest though it's so long since I've used Riscos (I used it in the early to mid 90s at school as all our school computers were Archimedes and later on, some RiscPCs) I can't remember any commands.

The one dated 18th June works fine though and goes to desktop. Seems to work very well for a pre-alpha, not much there to do and some screen corruption issues but it's a pretty good test.

I am using a Kingston 2GB SD card, using dd to write the image, both images give a "No space left on device" warning but still completes, the 18th June one seems to work fine.
by AlArenal » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:40 pm
Works for me. Keep up the good work!
by svrsig » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:33 pm
Distro updated again - the SD card image is now 244Mbytes and the download 24Mbytes.

Download: http://www.svrsig.org/RISCOS_Distro.zip (24 Mbytes)

Video of Pi starting up: http://youtu.be/irGVNP5aLe0
from power on to desktop working is 20 seconds.
by plugwash » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:43 pm
svrsig wrote:Video of Pi starting up: http://youtu.be/irGVNP5aLe0

Am I the only one with fond memories of risc OS 2? booted to the desktop in a couple of seconds.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by xChris » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:51 pm
plugwash wrote:
svrsig wrote:Video of Pi starting up: http://youtu.be/irGVNP5aLe0

Am I the only one with fond memories of risc OS 2? booted to the desktop in a couple of seconds.

haha yea.. my last ROS was 3.11 (on A5000), things started to be 'slow' when the !system updated to a lot of modules and visual enhancements...
by svrsig » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:16 am

If you compare like with like, the Raspberry Pi only takes 5 seconds from power up to boot up into RISC OS if you want it to start at the BASIC prompt. Two seconds of that are before RISC OS is started up and thus inherent in the design of the Pi.
by hayesey » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:42 am
Strange, I'm still just getting a command line with this new image from 21st June.

What options are you guys using with dd to transfer the image to SD card?
by plugwash » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:07 pm
svrsig wrote:

If you compare like with like, the Raspberry Pi only takes 5 seconds from power up to boot up into RISC OS if you want it to start at the BASIC prompt. Two seconds of that are before RISC OS is started up and thus inherent in the design of the Pi.

Where in my post did I say anything about the basic prompt. riscos 2 booted to the desktop extremely quickly.

Then riscos3 came in and added that initialising screen to slow things down. Then they started loading various bits off the hard drive during that initialisation and slowed it down even more.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Malcolm » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:44 pm
Does anyone know if I can emulate the Rasberry Pi with the RiscOS on my windows 7 machine. My RPi still hasn't arrived. :(
by vannystick » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:55 pm
hayesey wrote:Strange, I'm still just getting a command line with this new image from 21st June.
What options are you guys using with dd to transfer the image to SD card?

Yep me too.

If i try
Code: Select all
*SDFS
*EXEC Run_Me

or
Code: Select all
*SDFS
*Run !Boot
i get
Disc error 08 at . . . .

Something i did notice, when i blow up the image from the 18th, it expands to around 250mb, this new image expands to 25mb of 35mb on the drive. Seems like a rather huge reduction to me. I wonder if the image is some how corrupt. Either way i'll just wait for the next image i think.

I've gone out a bought two different cards too, well they might keep me out of trouble. One is a Toshiba 2GB, the other a 2GB Sandisk SD Class 2 disk. I haven't had the SanDisk 2Gb boot yet, but the Toshiba is much more reliable in starting up compared to the SanDisk 8gb SDHC class 4 card i was using (that is with the SanDisk 8gb it would take three or four power cycles to boot, with the Toshiba it normally boots first time).
by svrsig » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:31 pm
Seems like a rather huge reduction to me. I wonder if the image is some how corrupt. Either way i'll just wait for the next image i think.

The SD card image contains about 24Mbytes of data and 220Mbytes of empty space. Hence the compression. It will thus fit on any SD card of 256Mbytes or greater.

Disc error 08 means RISC OS does not like your SD card. The faster Sandisk cards seem to work. Sandisk 2G ultra and Sandisk 2G Extreme definitely work.

Remember the SD filing system on RISC OS is only a few days old and support for a larger range of cards will, no doubt, appear.
by svrsig » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:38 pm
I'm still just getting a command line with this new image from 21st June.

That is deliberate - any errors in the boot process now drop out to the supervisor prompt rather than start the desktop. That way you can try to investigate/try again etc. So if the SD card does not read at all then you just get the '*' prompt - whether an error message is produced or not is not predictable as RISC OS may decide that the drive is not present and thus not try to boot.
by uridium » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:53 am
Is there a way to make it display on a lower res? Eg.. 1024x768? :) Love your work btw!
by ahodgekins » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:18 pm
Got my Pi yesterday and fired up the 21 June build - it works way better than I was expecting, and some fun playing with !Draw and !Paint and seeing how many '*' commands I could remember :-) Considering how smooth it runs, if this project gets enough support I can see it attracting a lot of the older Risc OS users like myself that would have been put off by the price of a modern machine line an A9 Home.

I'd be interested to see what runs from my vast collection of RiscOS 3.1 software languishing in my parents' attic - including my GCSE coursework project. Does anyone know if a USB floppy drive would work and be able to read ADFS disks, or would I be better off looking at a Windows/Linux utility on my desktop PC to copy them over to a FAT formatted USB key?

Debian seems to be a bit slow to be truly useful at this stage, but the RiscOS port shows that the Pi is hugely capable of being lightning fast and highly useful when given a more suitable workload.
by xChris » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:38 pm
@ahodgekins old software won't work with the RISCOS port on RPi as its 32bit... (unless you have BASIC applications), there are 'solutions' like AEmulor (no port for RPI...) , or A310Emu (is not working too, at least under the RO5 that I tried)
by BrokenFrog » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:48 pm
Got my Pi yesterday and fired up the 21 June build - it works way better than I was expecting

Glad you're enjoying your return! As someone who never quite left RISC OS, I hope there are a lot more people like you, which will hopefully breathe new life into the OS and its future.

I'd be interested to see what runs from my vast collection of RiscOS 3.1 software languishing in my parents' attic - including my GCSE coursework project.

You may want to wait for the maybe-soon-to-be-available-for-a-nominal-fee-or-possibly-free Aemulor http://iconbar.com/forums/viewthread.php?threadid=11292&page=2#120675, which will allow much of the old 26bit software to run properly on the Pi. Some already will, some just won't. And RISC OS 3.1 is a long way back to hope it still runs on newer hardware. :)

Does anyone know if a USB floppy drive would work and be able to read ADFS disks, or would I be better off looking at a Windows/Linux utility on my desktop PC to copy them over to a FAT formatted USB key?

Not sure about this, but you can have a look at RPCEmu here: http://www.marutan.net/rpcemu/. I suspect reading ADFS-format disks will be the struggle, but there might be something you can do to turn them into image files that RPCEmu can read and then save out to HostFS and thus a FAT format disk or USB Stick. You'll need FAT32FS on RISC OS "hardware" to read FAT discs bigger than 2GB. Either way, finding a way to make them into some kind of Zip or Archive file or something helps preserves filetypes.

Debian seems to be a bit slow to be truly useful at this stage, but the RiscOS port shows that the Pi is hugely capable of being lightning fast and highly useful when given a more suitable workload.

Absolutely! It makes Linux look a bit like sludge on most of the distros I've messed with. Advocacy for RISC OS can be no bad thing at this point. It could revitalise the OS beyond anything we've recently been willing to dare to expect.

Enjoy your new found enthusiasm!
by daveac » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:46 pm
Both my son and I have purchased a Raspberry Pi each today and both of us used the BBC Micro Model B (him from the age of about 3) all the way up to a much extended StrongARM RIISC PC - I even had an A4 bought second-hand.

So yes we are both hoping to run a version of RISCOS sometime soon.

Cheers, daveac
My interests include Doctor Who, Sci-Fi, tech, classical music, reading and wine – all of which are covered on my weekly video blog on blip.tv/daveac
by adam_d » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:50 pm
This is fantastic - unfortunately my SD card doesn't play nice with it. It just tells me SDFS drive is empty. It does boot enough for *desktop to work without the !Boot structure though, so I am happy. :D Will have to try !Boot from a USB stick next.

I would love to help out with this somehow, I grew up on RISCOS 3, if anyone could point me in the right direction to offer help it would be much appreciated.
by hatman » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:47 pm
Hi, I tried the alpha this morning and was really impressed by how well it ran. Aside from the occasional mouse trail it seems like a promising start.

Knowing very little about RISCOS I do have a couple of questions that I'm hoping some of the experts can answer:

1. I have not managed to find a browser so, in the absence of a package manager, how do I install a browser?

2. My keyboard has a trackpad built in which has right and left buttons. Since RISCOS requires a middle "menu" button is there another way to invoke the menu?

Thanks!
by svrsig » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:44 pm
1. I have not managed to find a browser so, in the absence of a package manager, how do I install a browser?

Follow the instructions on screen in the latest distro. These say:
"To add a BROWSER you need to follow instructions at
http://www.netsurf-browser.org/downloads/riscos
to download the files you need onto a pen drive
[FAT formatted no larger than 2Gbytes or RISC OS formatted] and plug this in to the Pi and copy the files
to the appointed places."
by BrokenFrog » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:15 pm
To emulate a Menu mouse button, there's a thread here that might help: http://www.riscosopen.org/forum/forums/5/topics/295?page=4
by svrsig » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:46 pm
I have not managed to find a browser so, in the absence of a package manager, how do I install a browser?

It's included in the latest distro, with a few useful links to other sites and a 'Welcome' page on start up.
by trevj » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:40 pm
svrsig wrote:It's included in the latest distro, with a few useful links to other sites and a 'Welcome' page on start up.

Great - I'm looking forward to seeing this soon. We perhaps need a pub with a LAN connection to really appreciate it!