Gentoo Linux

115 posts   Page 2 of 5   1, 2, 3, 4, 5
by PhilipJFry » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:40 am
will it be possible to get both hardfloat and softfloat versions of the graphics drivers?

I didn't even think about the graphics drivers. oh well I can hope.
Do you have a bootable image and stages I can test out with my qemu? Thanks

I haven't created a new stage build but I do have a bootable image and kernel.Its currently 2.2Gb but most of that is package/kernel sources and portage. I'll strip them all out, tar it up and upload somewhere.
by thebuell » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:52 am
I haven't created a new stage build but I do have a bootable image and kernel.Its currently 2.2Gb but most of that is package/kernel sources and portage. I'll strip them all out, tar it up and upload somewhere.

If you used crossdev to build your toolchain, what versions of binutils, glibc and gcc did you specify? My crossdev can't build a toolchain without errors patching binutils :(
by PhilipJFry » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:27 pm
If you used crossdev to build your toolchain, what versions of binutils, glibc and gcc did you specify? My crossdev can't build a toolchain without errors patching binutils

I didn't use crossdev, I built the entire system in qemu. Had to borrow some spare CPU cycles from work, it was taking way to long to build at home.
by thebuell » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:38 pm
Ah, OK. I used the codesourcery toolchain instead, and have just built my first ARM kernel, now to see if it boots...
by thebuell » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:10 pm
It booted. Now to build my Gentoo system. Bootstrapping via a Debian rootfs, can't be bothered to cross compile from scratch!
by billium » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:53 am
Gentoo is my main OS, I think the only way for the Raspberry Pi would be pre building on your main box.
A couple of weeks to compile gcc :)
by armin76 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:41 pm
I don't think it would take weeks, probably around 10 hours or so.

I hope to create the documentation i always create with each device i have, f.ex: http://dev.gentoo.org/~armin76.....nstall.xml

If there's interest i could have a shot at providing an stage3 with VFP for the armv6 processor on the Raspberry Pi. However my main interest is the documentation.
by cedeon » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:47 pm
I'm super interested in getting a running hardfloat gentoo Rpi system running.  I have a little experience with it as i made a gentoo fileserver for a Genesi Efika MX, which is also Arm. When i have more time i will help out with an overlay if there is enough interest.

PhilipJFry I would love to have that link when you have uploaded  :)
(-(-.(-.-).-)-)
My RPi blog: https://blog.wculver.com
by emc » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:34 pm
thebuell said:

It booted. Now to build my Gentoo system. Bootstrapping via a Debian rootfs, can"t be bothered to cross compile from scratch!

Maybe some articel on wiki.gentoo.org or unofficioal gentoo wiki? I would be greate!
by spartacus06 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:48 am
I've been trying to build a stage3 for CHOST armv6zk-hardfloat-linux-gnueabi.

I tried to use crossdev on my wonderfully fast quad core i5, but it was full of fail because perl (among other packages) are not cross compile friendly.  I was able to patch a few of the ebuilds in a custom overlay, but perl failed in too many ways.  And perl is required for a LOT of the system packages, including gcc.

Now I am trying to build it inside a qemu VM using the armv7a stage3, the vexpress-a9 mahcine, and the cortex-a9 processor.  I still have to use crossdev from within the VM, but my thinking is that is "native enough".  Unfortunately, the build speed is abysmal.

The cortex-a9 supports up to 4 cores and qemu supports this through the -smp option.  However, the 4 virtual cores all map to a single thread in the host so it doesn't help.

I might try to create a distcc cluster of qemu arm machines to try to speed things up.

I'd be interested to hear any alternative methods that have been successful.  And by successful, I mean you were able to do a complete "emerge system" for CHOST armv6zk-hardfloat-linux-gnueabi.

My CFLAGS for armv6zk-hardfloat-linux-gnueabi are "-O2 -pipe -mcpu=arm1176jzf-s -mfpu=vfp -mfloat-abi=hard"
by disneysw » Tue May 08, 2012 6:28 pm
I have read throught a number of the fourms, but is there a simple gentoo bootable image for the raspberrypi that includes the X11 or do I have to roll my own?

Just looking fo a quick starting point for use with the actual board.
by gordio » Wed May 09, 2012 2:57 am

I have read throught a number of the fourms, but is there a simple gentoo bootable image for the raspberrypi that includes the X11 or do I have to roll my own?

Just looking fo a quick starting point for use with the actual board.

I compile image now. Without X11 and on emulator. Sorry don't have device :(
by disneysw » Fri May 11, 2012 12:27 am
It Ok, I'm rolling my own.

Installing a stage3 system and building the base X11 files took around 12 hours using the physical board. Not sure as the exact compile time as I left it running overnight plus thats using a USB pendrive for the filesystem. I just purchased a powered USB hub and will migrate the filesystem to a physical drive when I have a chance.

Just about to kick off a kernal build. Need to do a bit more reading on the raspberrypi bootloader before installing it, but I think I just have to drop in onto the SD card as 'kernel'.

Of course I still need to sort out the graphics driver for X11 which requires even more research.
by tutte » Fri May 11, 2012 12:01 pm
Could anyone post a gentoo bootable image? Even if the X11 are not included, I've only seen the kernel and some ebuilds for the RPi but not a working image to use as start point.

Thanks.
by jannis » Sat May 12, 2012 6:37 am
There is now a armv6j_hardfp Gentoo stage3 online:

http://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub.....6j_hardfp/

I just had to ask nice in IRC ;)
by tutte » Sun May 13, 2012 6:33 am
Thank you, at the end I've been abled to boot Gentoo on my R Pi w/o problems.
Let's compile everything.
by jannis » Sun May 13, 2012 4:42 pm
I'm running the armv6j_hardfp-stage3 on the Pi now and it's still updating @system. glibc took a little more than 5 hours. And that is with a real 2.5" HDD on USB instead of the slow SD-card.
Next thing is xorg-x11 which are about 170 packages. After that I can create a bootable image that you can use to write to an SD card if there's interest.
by thexman » Sun May 13, 2012 6:38 pm
interest here for a boot-able image please 2gb or 4gb ill run G parted to fill my card with once i see an img. thanks
one armed controls engineer, my grammar is bad but lets face it most keyboards don't suit a one armed man
by disneysw » Sun May 13, 2012 11:45 pm
You are going to need a bigger card to do anything useful. I just rebuilt a base system, without X11 and it there is not much free space left on a 4gb card.

You can find a copy of the image here
https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/com. ... 13V1-1.zip (Updated to V1.1)

To use, unzip and use win32diskmanger to write to write the image to your SD card. Install, boot and login using the username 'pi' and the password 'raspberry'. After that your on your own!

The image is sized to be under 4gb to account for different size SD cards, so I suggest booting puppy linux on a PC and using gparted to resize it to fit your card. Also included is a txt file outlining the changes made to the base system.

I am currently installing xfce as a simple graphical manager and will provide an update image if anyone is intrested.
Last edited by disneysw on Mon May 14, 2012 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
by disneysw » Mon May 14, 2012 12:12 am
Opps!

If your network interface does not work with this image just delete "/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistant-net.rules" and reboot.

Also edit /etc/make.conf and change MAKEOPTS from '-J2' to '-j2' (lowercase j)

UPDATED: Fixed in V1.1 - Link updated link origional post
by jannis » Mon May 14, 2012 8:33 am
Just because s.o. asked about hard-float-variants of the "graphic drivers":
On my RPi, I have Gentoo hardfloat running and I was able to compile and run the OpenMAX-examples (hello_world, hello_video, hello_audio. hello_triangle) using the hardfp-binaries found here:
https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-firmware/ ... dfp/opt/vc
So, the binary usersapce-libraries are available and do work with hardfp :D

The next thing is to get omxplayer (https://github.com/huceke/omxplayer) running but that needs ffmpeg and compiling on the target (no cross-compiling or distcc yet) is quite slow ...
by disneysw » Mon May 14, 2012 10:45 am
Good, I read some other threads and figured hardfp would be OK but it is nice to know that someone has actually confirmed it :-)

I'm building xorg-server at the moment and will create another bootable image at that point. I plan on going down the xfce desktop route but if I create images along the way I can go back and build something else while still ending up with a 'minimal' install.
by disneysw » Wed May 16, 2012 8:50 am
Here is another bootable Gentoo image, this time containing xorg-server and the twm window manager. As mentioned before I am going to install the xfce window manager but I figured this was a good point to create a snapshot in case someone wanted to use a different manager.

http://com.legato-solutions.raspberrypi ... GB.img.zip

This image requires an 8GB SDHC card. I could have fitted it onto 4GB but it would be tight without deleting the portage directory. Given the low cost of an 8GB card I did not think it was worth the effort.

Check the included readme for login details and run 'startx' to bring up the GUI.
by antonlacon » Wed May 16, 2012 12:41 pm
You could try putting portage into a squashfs image. You'll need to move distfiles and binary packages out of /usr/portage. If you pair it with a unioning filesystem, you can retain read/write properties. I think the space savings are down to 50mb for the portage tree. Unionfs or AUFS will require a kernel patch first.

I wrote an initscript for doing this on a PS3 a few years ago. It can be reviewed here: http://gitorious.org/laconent/initscrip ... sh-portage and config at: http://gitorious.org/laconent/initscrip ... sh-portage

There are some other implementations around to. I don't remember the state I left those scripts in (though I was using them).
by mike632t » Sat May 19, 2012 8:58 pm
Is there a image (4GB) that equates to a stage 3 tarball..??