sound, maybe I'm an idiot

18 posts
by Super-Nathan » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:32 am
I have been spending so much time trying to get my setup just right that I havn't started working on sound until now.

A long time ago I added the sound module to the rc.conf.

Today I installed deadbeef and tried playing an MP3. I heard the worst popping noises in the music replay.

I am using a replacement 7inch car entertainment system as a screen and speakers. It uses composite video and a headphone jack. All the wire connections are soldered so it can't be that, must be in software. I tried searching the forums, nothing.

How do I get smooth sound output?
echo "Something Useful" > /dev/null
by ghans » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:44 pm
Well , the sound driver is in alpha status.
You should contact dom or asb and report the issue on github.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by KenT » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:12 pm
Clicking or popping when the Alsa driver, which runs the analog audio, starts and stops is a known problem. Still present in Wheezy. I expect Dom is busy on other more vital things.
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive displays for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com
by Super-Nathan » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:06 pm
I'm running the lastest Arch, I have Debian set up on another card, but havent ran that in a few days.

Sound problems are present in Arch
echo "Something Useful" > /dev/null
by felixfurtak » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:53 pm
The current bcm sound module exhibits a burst of white noise at the beginning of playback, but only on analogue (3.5mm jack) output, not HDMI.

This is present in all distributions and there is, at present, no work around that I know of, apart form using an external usb sound card.
by dom » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:57 pm
felixfurtak wrote:The current bcm sound module exhibits a burst of white noise at the beginning of playback, but only on analogue (3.5mm jack) output, not HDMI.

This is present in all distributions and there is, at present, no work around that I know of, apart form using an external usb sound card.

Do you still get this now? I believe this is fixed if you do a rpi-update.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by felixfurtak » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:57 am
The noise is still present on Arch (fully updated from the repositories).
by dom » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:59 am
felixfurtak wrote:The noise is still present on Arch (fully updated from the repositories).

Can you do a
/opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd version
(Arch might put vcgencmd somewhere else)
by naicheben » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:53 pm
Code: Select all
[root@alarmpi ~]# /opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd
/opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd: error while loading shared libraries: libvcos.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Hmm seems that I am missing something. I build my own Kernel (to enable lirc_rpi).
Wonder if I can install libvcos.so via pacman, or should it have been build with the kernel?
by maribu » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:43 am
Hi, naichenben!

Could you try to add

export PATH=$PATH:/opt/vc/bin
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARYPATH:/opt/vc/lib

to your .bashrc?

I had the same problem. I just needed to tell bash whre to look for the lib.

After this, you should be able to run vcgencmd with "vcgencmd" instead of "/opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd".

Cheers,
Maribu
by maribu » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:49 am
I just noticed you posted quite a while ago. So don't mind, if your question is already answered.
by naicheben » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:03 pm
No problem. I did try it on archlinux but it does not work when I put it in .bashrc. But if I submit it on the console it works. So I guess your right, I only have to set the PATHs correct. Thank you.
by naicheben » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:42 pm
[root@alarmpi ~]# vcgencmd version
Jul 14 2012 13:14:43
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version 325444 (release)

Still have noise in silent parts (inet radio) and when I switch to a different channel. I hear the noise after pressing the remote, then it takes a second before the next stream starts.

My setup is Archlinux fully updated (kernel 3.1.9-30) with lirc/lirc_rpi analouge sound via 3,5mm jack to a analouge amplifier. Player software is mpd with alsa output:
audio_output {
   type      "alsa"
   name      "My ALSA Device"
   device      "hw:0,0"   # optional
#   format      "44100:16:2"   # optional
#       format          "48000:16:2"
   mixer_type      "software"   # optional
##   mixer_device   "default"   # optional
##   mixer_control   "PCM"      # optional
##   mixer_index   "0"      # optional
}
lsmod:
Module                  Size  Used by
ipv6                  221708  16
spidev                  3868  0
snd_bcm2835            15364  1
snd_pcm                51232  2 snd_bcm2835
snd_page_alloc          2612  1 snd_pcm
snd_timer              14528  1 snd_pcm
snd                    32336  4 snd_timer,snd_pcm,snd_bcm2835
soundcore               3984  1 snd
spi_bcm2708             3636  0
i2c_bcm2708             2688  0
lirc_rpi                4076  3
lirc_dev                6796  1 lirc_rpi
by Hiro » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:40 am
Can i ask how you got Deadbeef to work? It isn't in the repository. I downloaded the source code and compiled it but when i try to run i get an error

selected GUI plugin not found or failed to load, trying to find another GUI plugin

It then goes on to try to load the default playlist (0.dbpl) but hangs there, the default playlist is where it should be so i'm not sure if it is loaded or not.
If i try:
deadbeef /home/pi/filename.mp3

I get a fail to add file error but no reason why.
The process is still running but no GUI, i believe it uses GTK2 for the GUI and i have that installed so i'm not really sure what the issue is. Any ideas?
Cheers Hiro.
by sdjf » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:21 am
No pi yet but can tell you I use strace on my PDA to figure out why things do not run.

It is available in the archlinuxarm repository.

Produces voluminous output but can tell you what has gone wrong, what files are not found.

After you install it, example request with 60 characters per line of detail would be:

strace -f -v -s 60 -o deadbeefstrace1.txt deadbeef /home/pi/filename.mp3 &

-o is where you can name the output file. For more detail, do -s 100 or bigger instead of -s 60.

Then study the last lines of output.
FORUM TIP: To view just one person's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then click on "Search User's Posts." || This Pi owner is running Arch on 512MB Model B.
by Hiro » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:15 pm
That's a pretty cool tool. It seems that deadbeef is actually running and playing the track although a can't hear anything possibly because i need the options to tell it which sound device to use. However with no GUI i cannot access any options.
It all goes back to that error:
selected GUI plugin not found or failed to load, trying to find another GUI plugin

Can anybody confirm it uses GTK2 for the GUI and shed any light on why it cannot find it. The other plugins it loads just before the error are in /usr/lib/local/deadbeef but neither the program nor trace tells me the name of the plugin it is looking for or where it is trying to find it.
Anybody any ideas what is going on here?
by sdjf » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:06 pm
Look at man page to see if deadbeef has commandline options.

If it does not, there are other players that will take command line controls. mplayer is one and is available in the archlinuxarm repository.
FORUM TIP: To view just one person's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then click on "Search User's Posts." || This Pi owner is running Arch on 512MB Model B.
by Hiro » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:26 pm
I'm not actually after a command line mp3 player, i usually use mpg123 for that, i was only starting it from the command line to see the output messages. I suppose there is a log file for deadbeef errors but i just read them from the terminal. The issue is clearly something to do with it looking for something to power it's GUI, GTK2 i believe but for some reason it doesn't seem able to find it. I know there are plenty of other graphical players but i just prefer this one, if i can't get it sorted i'll just keep on with mpg123 for now. I guess someone with more skills than me will sort it out sometime and i am quite willing to wait.