Major problem install things?

8 posts
by slaming » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:56 pm
Hi guys
I'm currently having some rather weird and quite major problems with my armarch install (and not just one i've tried reinstalling multiple times). the problem being is I do the standard pacman -S *blah blah*. on completion I attempt to run the program but it gives an error saying it does not exist and i search through /usr/bin and it is no where to be seen, what is happening? I'm nearly 100% certain it isn't my sd card as it is 16gb and i have properly partitioned it to use all the space. I can't think of any other problems im running as root and no other errors are appearing.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

TL:DR:
installing programs, go to run program, programs not running error file not found, program not seen in /usr/bin

thanks
slaming
by sdjf » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:05 am
Which image is the one you have? And what are you trying to install?
FORUM TIP: To view just one person's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then click on "Search User's Posts." || This Pi owner is running Arch on 512MB Model B.
by slaming » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:30 am
hc-2012-09-18
and its mainly things such as lxde and xfce4 where the problems begin to start happening
by Cloudcentric » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:53 am
slaming wrote:hc-2012-09-18
and its mainly things such as lxde and xfce4 where the problems begin to start happening

I had managed to get alarmpi to run AOK with the "archlinux-hf-2012-09-18.img" install, used a Class4 4GB SDCard:

http://archlinuxpi.blogspot.co.uk
I know everything about nothing"
by grimpirate » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:13 pm
I had a problem on install once wherein when I changed my root passwd using passwd and I could no longer log in. These are the basic things to go through, so perhaps I'm just restating things you've done already:

Verify the hash of the downloaded image (to make sure there are no problems with it)
Verify the hash of the SD card once it has been written to it (I suggest you test this with a 2GB card first)
Ensure you have the proper voltage and current running through your system
Always reboot or power down using reboot/poweroff, otherwise you may get file corruption
Make sure your SD card doesn't have write protection enabled on it
by slaming » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:01 pm
grimpirate wrote:I had a problem on install once wherein when I changed my root passwd using passwd and I could no longer log in. These are the basic things to go through, so perhaps I'm just restating things you've done already:

Verify the hash of the downloaded image (to make sure there are no problems with it)
Verify the hash of the SD card once it has been written to it (I suggest you test this with a 2GB card first)
Ensure you have the proper voltage and current running through your system
Always reboot or power down using reboot/poweroff, otherwise you may get file corruption
Make sure your SD card doesn't have write protection enabled on it

Mine is now doing exactly that when i turn it on i can't log in? also the back space isn't working? i think from memory i could log in through ssh though????
by grimpirate » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:39 pm
I solved the problem by redownloading and rewriting the image to my SD card. I would suggest that to you, but as you said in a prior post you had already tried that. It's possible you may have a defective RasPi. Have you tried another distro?
by slaming » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:57 am
raspbian work completely fine, and i re flashed i didn't re download so i shall try that next