Puppy for RP, Alpha2

39 posts   Page 2 of 2   1, 2
by rhadon » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:50 am
@MODERATOR

sorry for posting twice :oops: .

I wasn't aware about controlling posts. On my netbook I've seen only the upper (empty) part of of that message and didn't scroll down.
Now I know it .
Rolf
by malc » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:46 am
Green12 wrote:@malc: Try to format the SD card in your camera,

Worked a treat. I didn't realise a camera could format a SD card by itself.

Thankyou everyone for your help. :)
by malc » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:32 am
Right, it turns out I must have just tried putting the download straight onto the SD card which caused the problem.

Thing is, the download ends with a '.img.xz'. I've tried unzipping it with Z-zip but it says 'cannot open file ... as archive'? So I can't even extract the proper image file from it?
by itimpi » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:41 am
You should be able to extract the contents using 7-zip
by malc » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:00 am
That error is with Z-zip.

These downloads arent only supposed to work on a Linux PC are they? As I'm trying to download them on my Main Windows 7 PC.
by thekeywordgeek » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:17 am
Just a quick report of an issue I've had with this distro. It boots perfectly and gives me the Puppy desktop, but without keyboard or mouse.

My keyboard/mouse combo is a Logitech wireless desktop. It's fine with Debian and RiscOS on the Pi, so I don't think this is a hardware issue.

Unfortunately I didn't have a USB wired keyboard and mouse to hand, only PS/2. I'm trying to borrow a set from someone to see whether Puppy will work on my Pi with them.

So near and yet so far, to see a desktop and not be able to use it. But this is an alpha distro of an OSS OS, so I can hardly complain if my odd keyboard/mouse combo doesn't deliver :)
by Green12 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:32 am
@thekeywordgeek: Well, I had trouble with my Logitech K400 keyboard too. But it seems to be an issue by the powersupply. Wrong USB to microUSB - cable (was an HTC cable).
Trying another cable (Garmin) and it works (???!).

Maybe you should check your powersupply/ cable.

Greetings : Green12
by thekeywordgeek » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:35 pm
Green12 wrote:@thekeywordgeek: Well, I had trouble with my Logitech K400 keyboard too. But it seems to be an issue by the powersupply. Wrong USB to microUSB - cable (was an HTC cable).
Trying another cable (Garmin) and it works (???!).

Maybe you should check your powersupply/ cable.

Greetings : Green12

In this case I don't think there's an issue with power, as I said the same hardware works perfectly with both Debian and RiscOS on the same Pi.

The base station for this keyboard-mouse is hard-wired to its own USB cable anyway.

I'm sure it'll turn out to be a simple fix for the Puppy team and I'm sure we're all happy to wait for the beta or final versions, so meanwhile it's a minor problem worth reporting.
by drgeoff » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:07 pm
malc wrote:That error is with Z-zip.

These downloads arent only supposed to work on a Linux PC are they? As I'm trying to download them on my Main Windows 7 PC.

Yes they are supposed to (and do) work with non-Windows computers. If 7-zip is really not opening it, I would suggest you download the .xz file again. (And you've written 'Z-zip' in two separate posts so I assume it isn't a typo and you either have a mental block over the name or you have found a decompression utility called that :) .)
by drgeoff » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:40 am
drgeoff wrote:Yes they are supposed to (and do) work with non-Windows computers.

That should have been "Yes they are supposed to (and do) work with Windows computers." which has a completely different meaning!
by malc » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:51 am
After multiple downloads of the file and attempts at extracting the file, I eventually realised I had a really old version of Z-zip. :oops:

Turns out I had version 4, when the latest is version 9.

Thanks for all the help from everyone though.
by fallenover » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:37 am
@malc
This may come a little late, but for anyone else having the same problem,
This has happened to me a number of times while playing with the Pi's
the card is most likely fine, i have thought a couple of mine were damaged beyond repair at least a dozen times, however i have always managed to repair them using puppy's gparted

the cards were non responsive under windows, and unable to be used in camera's
under puppy it should get detected, and can have the partition deleted and reformatted using gparted
i did run into trouble occasionally where puppy was also unable to detect the card, however, trying it in a second computer or simply using the card in a different adapter did the trick, i have not lost a single card yet, even though i have thought 'This time its f***ed for sure!!' but it always worked out in the end.
good luck
by Thediehardtrilogy » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:00 am
ill be sure to test this out soon as I get my Pi ;)
by DavidS » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:42 am
Puppy is definitely the best Linux on the RPi, actually at least as stable as Raspbian despite not being complete.
ARM Assembly Language: For those that want: Simple, Powerful, Easy to learn, and Easy to debug.