Squeezed Arm Puppy alpha4

26 posts   Page 1 of 2   1, 2
by BarryK » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:42 pm
"alpha4" is out, see announcement and download links on my blog:

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02910

This is built from Debian Squeeze armel packages. Is it slower than Raspbian? Try it, find out for yourself!

Regarding it's "alpha" status, well, all the distros for the Raspberry Pi are alpha quality, some more so than others. With this pup though, you might find that everything that you want to do, works.

It depends, please do read the Release Notes so that you know where the issues are that still need work.
by Montala » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:46 pm
Thanks Barry... I actually had it downloaded before you started this thread... how's that for Puppy Power! ;)
I am about to give it a try now.... just as soon as I have done a bit of 'fine tuning' to the config.txt file!
by dirtyburger » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:16 pm
Cool, will give this a go myself, I have multiple SD cards, Puppy quite rightly on one of them :mrgreen:

Woof woof etc. :?
by pygmy_giant » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:07 pm
about to download it...

Another + of this lightweight distro is that I can actually do so over mobile broadband - it wont gobble up too much of my data allowance and is unlikely to get corrupted!
Ostendo ignarus addo scientia.
by andymo » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:12 am
Hiya,

Non-Linux user here.

I assume I have to install Samba to connect to my Windows shares?

Puppy's Pnethood appears to do an IP scan for Windows 'Servers' (not shares)?

Where can I find information on how to install a lightweight version of Samba.

Andy
by drgeoff » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:25 pm
andymo wrote:Hiya,

Non-Linux user here.

I assume I have to install Samba to connect to my Windows shares?

Puppy's Pnethood appears to do an IP scan for Windows 'Servers' (not shares)?

Where can I find information on how to install a lightweight version of Samba.

Andy

Pnethood does connect to WIndows shares. I'll admit that I haven't tried it on the RPi Puppy and I've found it to be a bit hit and miss with the x86 version 5.2.

The most convenient method to install stuff is via Puppy's package manager - "Start" icon (well it is in the same corner of the screen!), Setup, Setup Puppy. Use the 'Find' box to see if a package is available.
by BadBoyBubby » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:34 am
Time to try some puppy on my pi i think. Quick question whats the .xz on the end of the downloaded file is this a compression type. I just want the .img to write direct to the card.

Thanks

Bubby :)
by darkcity » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:38 am
.xz is indeed a compression type. My guess is that you need to download, decompress and then write to card
by andymo » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:12 pm
BadBoyBubby wrote:Time to try some puppy on my pi i think. Quick question whats the .xz on the end of the downloaded file is this a compression type. I just want the .img to write direct to the card.

Thanks

Bubby :)

Bubby,

I downloaded 7zip and used it to decompress the .xz image to a +3.8 GB file.

http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/7-zip_portable

Then used the Wiki recommended Win32DiskImager to push it across to the card.

https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer

Andymo
by BadBoyBubby » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:25 pm
Thankyou will try puppy out soon as i get time
by ne3e » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:42 pm
I unzipped the image file and then used dd from Ubuntu Linux to get the Puppy image on an SD card..
Code: Select all
dd if= (image file) of= /dev/sdX ( unmounted SD card)

The image takes a long time to get copied to the SD card so be patient. I aborted my process several times and then finally let it run for about 20 minutes or so.
You can find out the the name of your SD card by entering:
Code: Select all
fdisk -l

Make sure the SD card is not mounted.
After I copied the image to the SD card I was able to boot Puppy on my Raspberry PI!
by lasloHU » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:22 pm
This distribution does not support RCA Composite Video Output?
by chipv12 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:37 am
since i found puppy for pi, i started looking at other puppy distro's. i really like the newer puppy os, but i cant get it to run on raspberry pi. the alpha version 4 is missing so much! is there a way to get say slacko 5.x (for example) to run on pi? it is definately small enough. can i upgrade 4?
by arwyn-bach » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:43 pm
puppy should be faster :P lets hope :P
by Rademenes » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:06 pm
"can i upgrade 4"

unfortunately not, Sap is a derivative of Debian Squeezy and Slacko is is a derivative of Slackware, i think there won't be Slacko for Pi before Slackware for Pi

edit:
if u interested in small distros u can try Tiny Core too:
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=20487

currently seems to be under heavy development, u can always return to Puppy later
by itimpi » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:11 am
Rademenes wrote:unfortunately not, Sap is a derivative of Debian Squeezy and Slacko is is a derivative of Slackware, i think there won't be Slacko for Pi before Slackware for Pi

Slackware for Pi is already available. You can install 13.37 or 14.0 versions of Slackware.
by Rademenes » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:59 pm
itimpi wrote:Slackware for Pi is already available. You can install 13.37 or 14.0 versions of Slackware.

ok, but question was about Puppy Slacko, i'm not developer of Slacko
what is Slacko (x86) u can read there:
http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20L ... elease.htm
by DIYKiwi » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:36 am
Hi

I'm v. excited about just booting Puppy Alpha4 on my RPi & thanks to the developer!

However, I had issues with getting the SD card bootable, & the solution, which may well be posted somewhere else on this forum, may be of use to others:

First do as instructions say to download, decompress the image, then write to SD card using Win32diskimager. However, I discovered that there is a problem with the file called 'bootcode'. If you are writing the image with Win32diskimager in Win7 like me, you'll need to open/explore the SD card after writing, delete the file called 'bootcode' and replace it with the same file called 'bootcode' from the Raspbian Wheezy OS. Get this from your Raspbian Wheezy SD card by opening/exploring it and copying/pasting to your new Puppy SD card.

This booted successfully for me anyway. Good luck :)
by drgeoff » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:59 pm
DIYKiwi wrote:Hi

I'm v. excited about just booting Puppy Alpha4 on my RPi & thanks to the developer!

However, I had issues with getting the SD card bootable, & the solution, which may well be posted somewhere else on this forum, may be of use to others:

First do as instructions say to download, decompress the image, then write to SD card using Win32diskimager. However, I discovered that there is a problem with the file called 'bootcode'. If you are writing the image with Win32diskimager in Win7 like me, you'll need to open/explore the SD card after writing, delete the file called 'bootcode' and replace it with the same file called 'bootcode' from the Raspbian Wheezy OS. Get this from your Raspbian Wheezy SD card by opening/exploring it and copying/pasting to your new Puppy SD card.

This booted successfully for me anyway. Good luck :)

My guess would be that you have a 512 Mbyte RPi. The larger RAM chip on these needs a more recent firmware than was in circulation when the Puppy image was created.

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=20878
by DIYKiwi » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:10 pm
Yes, I do have a 512MB RPI.
by kbailey » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:28 am
I :? just used basberryboot and installed puppy A4. It boots fine, BUT the X graphic server barks like a dog. When you do xorgwisard you can get a mouse cursor and the little text swuare that ays if you can read this it is working, but outside of the wiz you cannot get it to come on and stay on! It starts, black screen, cursor, and bails out, no error message. WTF, over?
:o
-Cheers!
-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-
Computers are the new Logos.
Does this compute?
by WillCK » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:21 pm
Well this forum looks pretty dead...but I will give it a shot to see if anyone has any info.

Downloaded the Alpha 4 Puppy image and changed the bootcode.bin to the raspian version so it would work on my 512mb Pi....Puppy booted up with no problem...yay!

Sound doesn't work...boo!

I am using an HDMI to DVI setup so on initial boot I set Puppy to output sound to the 3.5mm jack.

Tried testing...no sound
Ran alsamixer....tried testing...no sound

Anyone have any ideas?

I love using puppy and thought it would be a great distro for this little beast of a board...but without sound it's pretty useless to me.

Thanks for your time
by pistoi0 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:41 pm
WillCK wrote:Well this forum looks pretty dead...but I will give it a shot to see if anyone has any info.

Downloaded the Alpha 4 Puppy image and changed the bootcode.bin to the raspian version so it would work on my 512mb Pi....Puppy booted up with no problem...yay!

Sound doesn't work...boo!

I am using an HDMI to DVI setup so on initial boot I set Puppy to output sound to the 3.5mm jack.

Tried testing...no sound
Ran alsamixer....tried testing...no sound

Anyone have any ideas?

I love using puppy and thought it would be a great distro for this little beast of a board...but without sound it's pretty useless to me.

Thanks for your time

I recall from the Murga forum that Lobster had trouble with sound and I believed he solved it by using separate 5w speakers.
I have had success with Puppy sound on what sounds to me very similar to you setup, but running sound through a standalone speaker set up.
by DavidS » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:36 am
Wow!

Ok Every one talks about the optimizations and bugfixes in Raspbian. I think that they have not used Puppy Sap6 alpha 4 yet. And this is an old distro

I going from RISC OS to Linux on the RPi I have so far tried Raspbian for one day and puppy for one hour (just long enough to get everything set up as I like and get devx working. My observasions so far are:
    Puppy does better with the mouse (one of the seeing a single as double click that Raspbian is terrble about.
    Puppy is more responsive in X.
    My test compile took less time with the same switches in GCC.
    HTML5 WebM video is viewable with a decent frame rate in Chromium.
    There is not quite as much junk on the SD card, though there are more usable applications (that is Puppies strong points on all systems).
    And there is the possibility of updating it with Woof using just the RPi with out needing to wait for long compile times :) .
ARM Assembly Language: For those that want: Simple, Powerful, Easy to learn, and Easy to debug.
by DavidS » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:03 am
Never mind:

I will not be using Linux at all on the RPi for now.

I attempted to assemble a test program that I had ported over from RISC OS for testing, and lo and behold it bouught down the system with a Panic. Do not worrie, afterwords I attempted the same on Raspbian and got the same resaults :).

If I can crash the OS by running gas I do not want it.

I still hope that some one picks up Puppy Linux.

So I will be using RISC OS for a bit longer, at least till some one gets a Linux port working that will not choke on its own assembler. I am not sure what caused gas to choke, though it should not have crashed the system, i do know that gas has what has to be the worst syntax ever invented for an assembler.
Last edited by DavidS on Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
ARM Assembly Language: For those that want: Simple, Powerful, Easy to learn, and Easy to debug.